- - - - -

Elk Announces Wireless Motion Sensor

ELK ISC West Wireless Sensors

Just received this teaser email from Elk Technologies announcing their showcasing a new two-way wireless motion sensor that will be shown at this year's ISC West 2013 Convention

Your CocoonTech Team will be on site and will cover this debut!
Email Image Below (Click to Enlarge):
Attached Image: elk6030_teaser.jpg

• Quick blip in walk test mode when a coverage zone is tripped.
  • Flash during any audible alarm activation as a visual deterrent.
  • On solid for a timed period when motion is detected.
  • Flash by command for a short time period as a special attention grabber or general purpose indicator.
  • On solid by command for a short time period to illuminate the immediate area (camera surveillance, etc.)
Estimated 'service life' of the batteries (2xCR123A) is 5-7 years with sleep cycle set to long.  1 battery is supervised (critical stuff), while the other one isn't.  The unsupervised battery is used as a backup for the primary, and for LED use, so the LED won't kill your motion sensor. 

8 Comments

Photo
DELInstallations
Mar 12 2013 07:22 PM

I'm curious as to how much that convenience LED sacrifices battery life. I know on many other RF devices, if the walk test LED is left on it'll kill the battery in no time.

I agree. There has to be a way to disable it...Maybe using the 2 way wireless, who knows.

Photo
DELInstallations
Mar 15 2013 06:24 PM

Unfortunately, I can't see the real benefit of Elk having their own proprietary flavor of wireless with such a limited offering of devices unless their performance is leaps and bounds superior than their counterparts. Keyfob usage, sure, but even with DMP's flavor of Innovonics bidirectional, I've yet to see a markedly huge performance difference.

Wow Del, Elk just can't catch a break with you on their wireless line!  

I may try it out - I've got nothing to lose and I need more motions...  I hate the idea of a keyfob for security, but convenience with 3 young kids who run in ahead of me or leave after me (and they're too short to reach a keypad even if they could work it!) while I'm carrying a baby in the carrier... I'll end up running GE and Elk receivers side-by-side.

That said, I don't want the light - that just sounds annoying and like a waste of battery.

Photo
Dan (electron)
Mar 16 2013 05:29 PM

According to the manual, there are 5 modes for the 'Security/Convenience Light'

1. Quick blip in walk test mode when a coverage zone is tripped.
  2. Flash during any audible alarm activation as a visual deterrent.
  3. On solid for a timed period when motion is detected.
  4. Flash by command for a short time period as a special attention grabber or general purpose indicator.
  5. On solid by command for a short time period to illuminate the immediate area (camera surveillance, etc.)

Estimated 'service life' of the batteries (2xCR123A) is 5-7 years with sleep cycle set to long.  1 battery is supervised, while the other isn't.  The unsupervised battery is used as a backup, and for LED use, so the LED won't kill your motion sensor.  This is a pretty brilliant design, not sure if this is a standard, or if ELK is on to something here.

I'm actually somewhat excited about the LED feature, if it does what I want, I don't have to go ahead with my planned rope lighting installation around the stairs/house.

Photo
BraveSirRobbin
Mar 16 2013 06:59 PM

Elk is showing innovation where other companies are just staying with the status quo...

Photo
DELInstallations
Mar 17 2013 04:18 PM

@ Work:

It's not that I'm not cutting a break, it's a real position on a point regarding their introduction of proprietary wireless products and platform. If they had the same level of variety (and performance) as both GE and Honeywell, whose products they already support, I could see real innovation and would be more inclined to install and sell them. I've had bidirectional wireless for years on the DMP platform and it's the same issues as the Elk product...lack of variety and frankly, I have not seen a case where the performance is markedly different or better. Bidirectional for keyfobs...yes, by all means, that is needed, but then again, why doesn't Elk offer a wireless keypad? All their counterparts do. If I could stop installing LED's to provide feedback to end-users, that would be great, but the cost of another receiver, losing the block of zones, etc. all for a bidirectional keyfob still doesn't completely sell me on their product.

I don't know if I can be sold on Elk's wireless unless they can expand their line to really compete with their contempary counterparts. The only operation factor that I could even seeing myself use in an install would be #5. I'd still be amazed if the CR123's would be able to really provide that sort of life, especially with only 1 being used for security. I guess time will tell. As far as other manufacturers, in the case of GE and Honeywell specifically, they would still need to provide some sort of backwards compatibility for their thousands of legacy installs out there...to move complely to a new platform and not support their existing hardware is foolhearted, where in the case of Elk, they started by using (and later abandoning) another company's product, then coming out with their own flavor that supported that company's product (later, both frequency variables), then coming out with another unit that supports another vendor's product.

While it's nice that Elk is open platform per-se for wireless, I would've rather seen them put some R+D engineering elsewhere (how about multiple 2 wire fire or addressable fire). It seems like they're dragging more of the Ness line and devices that already existed and just getting them through the NA regulatory. Keep in mind, the Navigator and much of the M1 line is rebadged Ness. Why do you think the Navigator keypad only fits on a horizontal electrical box? Whether or not the M1 line was a collaboration between the two companies, I couldn't tell you.

Photo
Dan (electron)
Mar 17 2013 04:24 PM

I am fairly sure wireless keypads are on the roadmap.  The 2-way wireless is a new platform, obviously it is intended for more than just a motion sensor or keyfob.