- - - - -

Review: SmartHome Ltd., SUPerB™ UPB™

UPB logoOver the last five or six months I have been testing some SUPerB™ (UPB™)  hardware which may have not even been considered by some CocoonTech  members.

This hardware is made by SmartHome Ltd., located in Israel. They make both 50 and 60 Hz versions, which can support 120VAC  or 230VAC. Based on the product which I received and the  feedback I assume their market was initially intended for 230 VAC/50 Hz as  they only have the European style plugs on the Powerline interface, but  I was told they would be getting in US style hardware “soon”. In my  case I used an adapter.

Their product line currently consists of:

SHLM1
SHLM1 – Lamp Module, Available models: B, I, D *

SHLM2 – Lamp Module – dual, Available models: B, D *
SHAM1 – Appliance Module, Available models: B, I, D  *
SHAM2 – Appliance Module – dual, Available models: B, D *
SHATM – Astronomical Time Module, Available models:  B, I, D*

SHOCMSHOCM Powered ON
SHOCM – Output Control Module, Available models: B,  I, D *

SHOLT – Controlled Outlet
SHMCM – Motor Control Module, Available models: B,  I, D*
SHICM – Input Control Module, Available models: B,  I, D *
SHRWS – Remote Wall Switch
SHWS1D-R Wall Switch Dimmer
SHWMC8 – Wall Mount Controller

SHPIM-R Package contentsSHPIM Connectors
SHPIM – Powerline Interface Module,  Available models: RS232, USB

SHPPM – Powerline Plug Module

• The (B) is a box module that can be fixed on-the-wall.
  • The (I) is an insert (plug-in) module.
  • The (D) is a DIN Rail module.

The SUPerB™ product line implements  GEN II UPB™ technology.

My evaluation consisted in testing the following  units in the 120VAC 60Hz configuration

• SHPIM Model R
  • SHOCM Model D
  • SHLM1 Model D

Because the SHOCM and the SHLM1 units I received  were DIN rail mount units they had screw terminals for both power and  output connections. I found, these easy to work with and a  short “inside use” extension cord cut in half worked good for making my  power and output connections.

screw terminalsPower cable

Setup and Configuration:

Once I got the hardware wired for testing I  proceeded to open the UPStart version I had from SAI, I figured UPB is  UPB right? Wrong. I could see the hardware but  not control the device, and the only tabs visible, was the basic  programming information and the communication test tab. After  talking with SmartHome Ltd. They informed me I needed to use their  “SUPerBuilder” software which is downloadable from their website. So  I proceeded to download and install it. I performed an  export from UPStart, and imported it into SUPerBuilder. My  devices showed up programmed as expected. Basically  SUPerBuilder is a complete rewrite of UPStart by SmartHome Ltd.’s  programmers. To make it easier to translate to other  languages and a few other reasons. Once the devices are programmed they  are like any other UPB device and you communicate with Device ID’s and  Link numbers.

Testing Phase:

Because the SHPIM I received required an adapter, I  only performed limited testing on this unit. I was able to  send and receive UPB commands with all devices on my network. In  my network I have hardware from other UPB manufactures (SAI and HAL) I  was originally concerned with interoperability. Once I  connected the PIM to my computer and loaded their software (see more  information below), and imported my UPB export file from UPSTART I was  able to communicate with all devices.

The SHOCM device is a dual channel Output Control  Module. I used this device to perform resets on my wireless  router and firewall during recent internet problems I have had. Basically  the SHOCM has two relays internally which are controlled by the UPB signals. So I connected these in series with the DC power wires connecting  to the two devices I was having problems with and could turn them on and  off with a simple UPB command. This fall I think I  will test these with my Halloween decorations, and pop-up’s.

The Third Device which I tested was a single  channel lamp module, this device did not get extensive testing, but was  connected for a few weeks in place of my normal HAL plug in module I use  to control some outside Christmas lightning. There was no  missed ON or OFF, commands and it performed flawlessly until it was time  to put away the decorations until next year.

Conclusions:

The Programming button on these devices are not  recessed on all the units and is easier to press then most UPB devices. With  the DIN mount and Box style units I can see users placing multiples into  8x8" plastic electrical box and use them for multiple purposes ex. Irrigation control  (SHOCM), outdoor lighting control of multiple branches(SHLM), and  holiday decoration.) There is no “derating” information  provided for multiple devices ganged in one box, but the SHLM1 is a 1000  W unit and the SHLM2 can also only control a combined 1000 W between  the two channels.

The main down side(s) I see to these devices is  that they are not compatible with UPStart versions which we may already  be using for our other devices, but I was told a new version of  SUPerBuilder is n the works that can be used to program all UPB devices,  and would be much more user friendly. And that they did  not have US style devices, and I needed to use an adapter for the PIM, I  believe this would also be the case of any of the plug-in style  devices, on both the plug and receptacle. But when I  received my unit I was told that the US 110 VAC style would be available  soon.

0 Comments