- - - - -

Inovelli Z-Wave Switch Review

Z-Wave

Inovelli now provides Z-Wave light switches for your home automation projects!  Their switches are an attractive solution for your automated light switching needs in they do not require that you purchase a 'companion' switch for three-way lighting applications.  You can use the existing switch for the companion.  Since the switch costs around $30 this is an attractive choice that our forum members should consider.

I ordered the switch on Amazon and selected the dimmable, non-scene one.  They also offer dimmable, scene-capable as well as plain on-off types.  They are available in paddle or (older style) rocker selections.

The package contained the switch, an almond colored face-plate/trim, a neutral wire jumper, and a real set of instructions.

Attached Image: Kit.jpg  Attached Image: Switch Plain.jpg  Attached Image: Switch Pic Oview.jpg

For a FULL REVIEW of the switch installation and integration with HomeSeer please refer to the attached PDF file.

Attached File  CocoonTech Inovelli Z-Wave Switch Review - Publish Version.pdf   979.14K   106 downloads

8 Comments

Does anyone know if these support instant status and can control other zwave devices with multiple taps?

Photo
BraveSirRobbin
Jan 14 2018 10:34 AM

Does anyone know if these support instant status and can control other zwave devices with multiple taps?

I just did a test with HomeSeer (running on a HomeTroller Zee S2).

I looked at the status of the device and turned the switch on and off manually.  The status updated correctly in under a second.

I also did a test event that turned off another light when the Inovelli device "Changed and turned to ON".  When I turned the Inovelli switch on manually, the event did indeed trigger.

As far as controlling with 'multiple taps', the switch I ordered for this review did not support that BUT, I recently ordered three more that advertised this feature and I'll be testing that switch hopefully in the next week or two.

Excellent. Thank you for doing that.  I am looking at all new Gen 5 switches to replace the various ACT and GE switches and these seem comparable to the Homeseer ones.

The automation bug bites again! 

The automation bug bites again! 

It beats bed bugs!!

Photo
BraveSirRobbin
Feb 01 2018 07:03 AM

I recently installed some more Inovelli switches.  They are dimmers with status and on/off (relay) switches, both with the 'scene enabled' feature (my original review did not have this feature).

I can verify that HomeSeer will see the multiple taps on both the 'up' and 'down' switch presses.  To test this I created events and had them trigger with a certain number of taps and the events indeed triggered properly.

I used the dimmers on standard lights and the relay with fluorescent lighting (in laundry room and garage).  One of these on/off switches was configured as a standard three-way and I used my original switch for the 'slave' as described in the review article's PDF file.

I'm far from an expert in Z-Wave as I just installed my first switch a month ago, but I'm impressed with the quality and price of these Inovelli switches.  Of course, time will tell of their longevity.

I like these but those darn new Homeseer switches  (200 series) with the different colored led status lights are quite appealing 

Photo
BraveSirRobbin
Feb 02 2018 09:36 AM

I just installed one of those a couple of days ago for my dining room lights.  I would have had a review, but that switch requires you to install a Beta version of their Z-Wave plugin (you will not have the color change support) which I would rather not do at this time (I want released versions only).

EDIT: Released version out today, downloaded it and am now starting to test this new switch