- - - - -

KickStarter: Digital Wi-Fi Shades for your Home

Wi-Fi

Here's another rather interesting KickStarter project, with potential big implications if they can deliver on their promises.

Back in January, we spotted this product during the CES expo, and even covered it here.
The founder of Aeon Labs, Winston Cheng, and Bernard Kwan, launched a new product called SONTE Film.

SONTE Film is a 'digital shade', which applies as a film to your windows, and can be controlled via a Wi-Fi connection (eventually other protocols such as Z-Wave might be supported as well, but if the API is open as they claim to be, there might not be a need for it).

Currently, the plan is for a 2-state system, where you can turn the shade on/off (see the video below).

The product is modular, extremely easy to install (as easy as regular film), and it will be able to connect to other units, in order to make power routing easier.

Specifications:
  • Power: 110-220VAC
  • Frequency: 50/60Hz
  • Current: 0.1 amperes per square meter
  • Power: 7 watts per square meter
  • Switching: less than 1 second
  • Operation: (on) transparent (off) opaque
  • Thickness: approximately 0.4mm
  • Viewing angle: approximately 130 degrees
  • Light transmittance: On (75%) Off (27%)
  • Haze Coefficient: On (7%) Off (87%)
  • Operating temperature: -20C (-4F) to 70C (158F)

As far as I know, this will be the first DIY accessible/affordable system on the market.

You can now be part of their KickStarter campaign, and get your hands on a sample by pledging your support here.

2 Comments

I've been interested in this technology for quite some time, but it has been cost prohibitive. Was hoping this would bring it down to affordable levels. I did donate, and an hour later (today) they pulled the plug on the campaign!

I'm starting to design a new home to build, and would be interested in something like this. The one thing that bothered me, though, is the description stated installing the film would cause a slight reduction in clarity of the windows. I would not install this if that would occur, at least not without seeing it first.

Kevin