- - - - -

Savant To Enter DIY Market?

It looks like Savant is shaking things up, as they are trying to bring a cheaper version of their high-end home automation platform to the 'masses'.  They'll start by offering a Linux based version of their system (instead of relying on the more expensive mac platform), and are considering entering the DIY market as well.

Savant hired former Barnes & Noble exec William Lynch, who was responsible for growing the Nook product line.

Check out the article on The Verge for more details.

3 Comments

Photo
drvnbysound
Jan 28 2014 08:50 PM

Someone needs to tell those commenters about the existing DIY capabilities that we discuss/recommend/use here on a regular basis ;)

The first such product is set to be released this spring, and it reaches down to just about $1,000.  The new system, which doesn't yet have a name, will still require professional installation.

:wacko:

Related:

Crestron is set to launch RMC3, an affordable 3-Series controller for building and home automation, at ISE 2014. It will retail for about $1,000.

My guess is that if Savant makes a D.I.Y. Friendly system it will be cloud based with a monthly fee, I like where Command Fusion is going with their hardware offerings and they are D.I.Y. Friendly now.