• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Premise
  • Tech:UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

Since "upgrading" my server to Vista, I have not been able to play ANY internet radio through Premise. It has always been difficult, but now is seemingly impossible.

In the past, with XP, I was able to get some stations (those that use MMS:) to play through mSense. Then using John's PremiseUPnP I was able to get some to play using Tversity as a server for PUPnP. That doesn't work anymore either.

Does anyone know how internet radio works on Premise and what might be stopping it? Whatever I try to play in Premise that doesn't will always play in Windows Media Player on the same system, so I know DirectX/Windows can handle the stream.

I may have to go back to XP. The only reason I installed Vista was because it has a much better Text to Speech engine and Speech Recognition and I wanted to experiment with that. But I don't think that's enough to keep me there.

Any clues would be appreciated.

#2 123

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2170 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Sam,

You've confirmed the PC is capable of playing the content, using Media Player, yet Premise cannot. Could this be a permissions issue?

I haven't experimented with Vista but my understanding is that security is tighter than in XP. Is it possible that the Windows account used to run the Premise Server (prkernel) does not have sufficient permission to execute certain functions?

Taras

Edited by 123, 23 April 2008 - 09:19 AM.

#3 samgreco

samgreco

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Tech:UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

Thanks Taras.

I have tried running the Premise service as administrator, but it won't run that way at all. It is running as Local System and I tried setting it to interact with the desktop to no avail.

I will dig a bit more, bit I may just move it back to XP.

I am also looking at various extenders on eBay to use with John's Premise UPnP as a control, since even if I get Premise to play internet radio again, it is limited in types of streams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users