• Experience:average
  • Software:Elve, Girder, HomeSeer, NetRemote
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Ocelot, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:dvr

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

I received this letter from the place I purchased my unit from and asked about the Buy.com price. He fired off an email to Silicondust and this is their reply.

Buy.com is NOT an authorized reseller of the HDHomeRun product. As you may well know - Buy.com is also a resource similar to e-bay - where people can sell USED product

I can tell you that I have not shipped inventory to them - nor has there been discussion of them being a reseller - if there was - they would be held to the same MAP of $169 that everyone has

I would caution your prospective customer about buying from unknown or unauthorized sources -
and our Warranties are based on Device ID's during initial set up - so they may be purchasing a unit that is out of (or nearly out of) warranty.

I would be interested in knowing more about WHO is the seller of this - can you find out and let me know
If this is being resold through here by any of our current authorized resellers - then I will handle this.

Now - if this is a reseller - dumping Refurbished units - for less - that is a different story
either way - I would like to know more

#2 az1324

az1324

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:55 PM

Although there are listings in the Buy.com marketplace, the cheapest listing is from Buy.com themselves. Unit might be NOS or refurb.

Boo to price floors!

#3 jwilson56

jwilson56

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Well since the Silicondust CEO stated that they did not sell any through Buy.com one has to wonder.

#4 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7609 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

FYI, look at the terrible six month ratings for Buy.com from Resellerratings.com! :o

Edited by BraveSirRobbin, 20 May 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#5 az1324

az1324

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:45 AM

I've never had a problem with Buy.com orders and they quite often have good deals. I think people do not really understand the difference between Buy.com and Buy.com marketplace and some of those bad ratings are from the other vendors, but I could be wrong.

I would probably still order it because of the price.

But really, boo to price floors, silicondust!

#6 jwilson56

jwilson56

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:40 AM

If you buy it you have to know that it is considered 'grey' good and probably the warranty will not be good.

#7 bfisher

bfisher

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

In defense of SiliconDust... unless it's grown dramatically, it's just a couple man organization. I used them back when it was a single guy (darn, can't remember his name, jafa on the forums) doing TiVo hacks. He is really dedicated and service oriented and really tries to do the right thing - and I'm sure he has the price floor to protect the few distributors he does have that are specialty shops. The risk with adding a big box type of outlet is then the specialty stores that provide service with their products can't compete.

I've always been impressed with his work. (that said, I don't have an HDHR opting for dedicated PC cards instead).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users