What to use for RFID fob reader with ELK

felixrosbergen

Hi All,

For my new house i plan to use an ELK system.

At the door from my garage into the house i would like to have a RFID reader which would activate the powered door lock. The ELK keypad would be inside. I cna then later decide if it is still needed to put in a code or if the RFID disbales the alarm right away.

WHat type of RFID reader do i need and how do i mount it? Something that fits in a standard 1 gang box?

Hi All,

For my new house i plan to use an ELK system.

At the door from my garage into the house i would like to have a RFID reader which would activate the powered door lock. The ELK keypad would be inside. I cna then later decide if it is still needed to put in a code or if the RFID disbales the alarm right away.

WHat type of RFID reader do i need and how do i mount it? Something that fits in a standard 1 gang box?

I do this using the external prox reader (UltraProx Wiegand Reader) here. It just mounts on the wall.

Brian

What woudl the normal/recommended functionality be?

Would the RFID fob unlock the door and disable the alarm or would it just unlock the door?

I am trying to make it easy for the wife to come home with groceries..

I planned to have the Elk keypad on the inside wall next to the door and have the RFID reader on the outside wall (inside the garage).

Would the RFID fob unlock the door and disable the alarm or would it just unlock the door?

I planned to have the Elk keypad on the inside wall next to the door and have the RFID reader on the outside wall (inside the garage).

Mine is programmed to unlock the door only. My kids (grown) are programmed to unlock and disarm/arm the system.

Brian

... My kids (grown) are programmed to unlock and disarm/arm the system.

Brian
Can you get the kid programming interface from automated outlet? Mine could use some feature changes

Paul

The cards/key fobs are all the same, you just change the programming on the M1 with whatever you want to happen when a particular card is presented to the reader.

Brian

EDIT: A double dimwit... First, I programmed my kids and didn't realize it. Second, It went right over my head on your post. Oh well, at least it triggered right after I hit the post button. :p

How about some wife programming? Would be nice if I could dial into her with the mobile phone and change her attitude or 'mood' at times.. :)

I am considering a similar setup. I am wondering if the internal prox reader (ELK-M1PR) would read a card through the wall. I.e, what if I mount the keypad inside the door from the garage to the mudroom, and the reader is inside the keypad? I'm sure the WAF would be higher with the reader invisible versus surface mounted in the garage (outside the door to the mudroom).

Yes, it will read through a 1 inch wall. I put one behind a glass pane so I could see the reader. A 4 to 6 inch stud wall is too thick.

Back