Distributing HD Throught the home

DrunkenLizard

I'm sure this has been covered in detail many times but I'm having a hard time finding the information I'm looking for.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to wire my house to distribute multiple HD sources from a central location to several different zones.
I've heard of people using coax or cat5/6 to distribute component video, but I'm having a hard time finding specific information on how to do that.
Also has anyone done any work with running hdmi through out the home?

I'm pretty comfortable with setting up media centers like windows and sage and using extenders and front ends, just trying to figure out how I'm going to handle set top box's and other video sources.

Thank you

IMHO If your comfortable with Sage Extenders then you are already most of the way to distributed HD Video. The Sage HD extenders work great and are very nicely priced.

I use a Extron Crosspoint matrix switch to switch component video to 16 different locations. I got a good deal on the switch on Ebay and it works great. I don't know of anyone who has had success with distributing HDMI through out a home but I could be wrong. There are a ton of issues with HDMI.

As far as wire, I purchased preterminated Mini coax from Monoprice for my house. It was cheaper and easier than buying bulk wire and cutting and terminating it myself. Monoprice sells up to 100' runs of component cable ready to install in the walls. Not the easiest stuff to work with but it works. I ran everything to a central closet and connect all the component cable to the Cross point Matrix switch. I can control the switch via RS232 and CQC to change sources from touchscreens.

I wanted all my sources hidden away in a closet but if you are willing to have the HD extender showing in each room then you can just run Cat 5E to each room and distribute via the extenders. Works great for several people and it is less complicated.

Good Luck!

Having a hard time finding pre terminated coax, I most likely would be terminating it myself. So if I used a matrix like the extron's I assume I would need to use bnc connectors on one end and rca on the other? And would I use RG6 or RG6 Quadshield?

Having a hard time finding pre terminated coax, I most likely would be terminating it myself. So if I used a matrix like the extron's I assume I would need to use bnc connectors on one end and rca on the other? And would I use RG6 or RG6 Quadshield?

You are better off using RG59 for baseband signals, such as those used for Componant. You would probably use compression RCA connectors on both ends...Leviton makes nice ones. Leviton part number 40782, which comes in many different colors. You will want ot make sure that your core is solid copper, and not just copper clad.

Your other option is to run Cat5e, and use a matrix switch such as the Russound VM1. It makes cabling much easier! Russounds switch uses one Cat5e, but there are others out there, most of which use 2 Cat5e.

You are better off using RG59 for baseband signals, such as those used for Componant. You would probably use compression RCA connectors on both ends...Leviton makes nice ones. Leviton part number 40782, which comes in many different colors. You will want ot make sure that your core is solid copper, and not just copper clad.

Your other option is to run Cat5e, and use a matrix switch such as the Russound VM1. It makes cabling much easier! Russounds switch uses one Cat5e, but there are others out there, most of which use 2 Cat5e.

Why? Everyone here reckons that the RG6 that they are getting is a solid copper core, and if that is in fact the case then it wont make didly squat difference if it is RG6 or RG59.

My understanding is that most (if not all) RG6 is steel center conductor coated in copper (it looks like a solid copper conductor though) and hence is no ideal for baseband signals. RG59 is a solid copper conductor and should be used. (This is what you have said basically).

mick

I recently finished building my dream house and ended up using cat5 to distribute component video throughout my home. I used an avatrix from audio authority and have been very happy with it. The nice thing about the avatrix is it's an all in one type solution utilizing two cat5 at each tv location. I have 6 locations now and soon to be adding a few more. There are many solutions which would work so good luck.

Well there are a few things I want to be able to do with my setup that rule out using a solution that introduces any delay. Looking for the ability to walk from my loft where I'm playing a game down the hallway to my office or in the living room below and still have it displayed there so I can continue playing with a wireless controller (xbox 360 or a wavebird, etc..)

On that note does an autopatch or something like an extron matrix create a delay?

In the end I'm looking at getting the wiring in place for something like 14 displays through out the house with most of my video sources in the wiring closet in the basement but a couple others elsewhere. Though I only need 4-5 displays in the near future.

Here is my take on things.

Wiring Options
#1 - you will need at least 2 Cat5e cables or 5 precision coax** cables to distribute component signals with audio (3 for just the component video signals).
#2 - it is cheaper to use precision coax cables than it is to use cat5e cables and baluns
#3 - I would still run a minimum of 2 cat5e wires in addition to the choice I made above regarding precision coax vs cat5e. (ie run 4 cat5e or 5 precision coax and 2 cat5e wires)
#4 - Use RCA plugs on the ends of the precision coax. If you need BNC connectors at one end, you can get a adapter for less than $1 each.

** Precision Coaxial cable IS NOT your regular RG-6 cable (quad shield or regular shield). Regular RG-6 cable has a steel core that is coated with copper and aluminum shielding. Precision coaxial cable has a solid copper core and shielding that is coated in copper as well. It does make a difference when trying to distibute line level video signals. While some people may have some success with regular RG-6 wire, it is not the proper cable for the job and will not work in many cases. It would not work in my case and when I switched to precision coax cable I now get crystal clear HD signals throughout my house. If you read any of the information out there from the manufactures, they do not recommend regular cable for component distribution.

The biggest problem with precision coax is the additional cost. It is available in three sizes: Mini, RG-59, and RG-6. The larger the cable, the more expensive it is due to the extra copper in the wire, but the larger the wire size the farther you can send the signal without noticable signal loss. I personally used the mini coax size since it is rated to provide component signals in runs up to 250' without noticable signal loss. I don't have any runs close to 250' so it was the cheapest solution. As an FYI - it costs me about $230 for a 1000' roll of precision mini coax wire (and that was the price a month or two ago, it might be higher now with copper prices). A roll of 1000' regular RG-6 wire would run about $65 so you can see the significant price difference. However it is worth the cost IMHO since it is the correct cable for the job and will still be significantly less than using cat5e and buying baluns which can easily run $100 a pair.

System Options
1) Use a network system like SageTV and their HD extenders or other manufactures of media boxes like slimserver, etc. This would allow you to use a single cat5e wire to each zone, but requires the box to be located in the local zone as well as any related equipment like amplifiers/receivers, etc.
2) Use a matrix switch to distribute everything (either a matrix on switch like Autopatch or a whole house distribution system like Russound which is a matrix switch with amplifiers). This generally requires all the hardware to be located in a central spot. This can make control of the hardware hard and usually requires some sort of automation system to tie everything together. Also requires either the 2cat5e/balun solution or 3/5 precision coaxial cables to distribute everything.

Hopefully this helps.

Here is my take on things.

Wiring Options
#1 - you will need at least 2 Cat5e cables or 5 precision coax** cables to distribute component signals with audio (3 for just the component video signals).
#2 - it is cheaper to use precision coax cables than it is to use cat5e cables and baluns
#3 - I would still run a minimum of 2 cat5e wires in addition to the choice I made above regarding precision coax vs cat5e. (ie run 4 cat5e or 5 precision coax and 2 cat5e wires)
#4 - Use RCA plugs on the ends of the precision coax. If you need BNC connectors at one end, you can get a adapter for less than $1 each.

** Precision Coaxial cable IS NOT your regular RG-6 cable (quad shield or regular shield). Regular RG-6 cable has a steel core that is coated with copper and aluminum shielding. Precision coaxial cable has a solid copper core and shielding that is coated in copper as well. It does make a difference when trying to distibute line level video signals. While some people may have some success with regular RG-6 wire, it is not the proper cable for the job and will not work in many cases. It would not work in my case and when I switched to precision coax cable I now get crystal clear HD signals throughout my house. If you read any of the information out there from the manufactures, they do not recommend regular cable for component distribution.

The biggest problem with precision coax is the additional cost. It is available in three sizes: Mini, RG-59, and RG-6. The larger the cable, the more expensive it is due to the extra copper in the wire, but the larger the wire size the farther you can send the signal without noticable signal loss. I personally used the mini coax size since it is rated to provide component signals in runs up to 250' without noticable signal loss. I don't have any runs close to 250' so it was the cheapest solution. As an FYI - it costs me about $230 for a 1000' roll of precision mini coax wire (and that was the price a month or two ago, it might be higher now with copper prices). A roll of 1000' regular RG-6 wire would run about $65 so you can see the significant price difference. However it is worth the cost IMHO since it is the correct cable for the job and will still be significantly less than using cat5e and buying baluns which can easily run $100 a pair.

System Options
1) Use a network system like SageTV and their HD extenders or other manufactures of media boxes like slimserver, etc. This would allow you to use a single cat5e wire to each zone, but requires the box to be located in the local zone as well as any related equipment like amplifiers/receivers, etc.
2) Use a matrix switch to distribute everything (either a matrix on switch like Autopatch or a whole house distribution system like Russound which is a matrix switch with amplifiers). This generally requires all the hardware to be located in a central spot. This can make control of the hardware hard and usually requires some sort of automation system to tie everything together. Also requires either the 2cat5e/balun solution or 3/5 precision coaxial cables to distribute everything.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Sic, that is actually a great deal of help, guess I'll be returning that 1000 ft of rg6 quad (won't need any where near that much).

I'm thinking I'll follow your route and go with the precision mini coax, I have a three story house but I don't see any of my runs getting anywhere near 250'. It seems like the easiest way is going to be to run my cables up through the center of the house, think I'll just install a very large conduit going from the attic through a couple closests down to the basement which is only half finished.

As far as cat5e I've got about 700 feet lying around somewhere, thinking I might pick up a couple cases of different colors so I can easily distinguish between data, poe, and specialty applications.

I'm going to end up with a mixture of solutions 1 and 2, I just built a new workstation so I'm thinking my old one is going to be converted into my Sage box, but I know for my needs I'm going to want the flexibility of a matrix for distributing other HD and SD sources. Now If I can just stop getting outbid, keep on losing auctions by around a dollar lol. But I'm not in a hurry, well maybe a little, I wanted to get my hands on one so I could start evaluating CQC before the sale is over.

Previous owner said she still has the wiring plan for the house so hopefully that will be showing up in the mail soon, and give me an idea where the high voltage was run before I start tearing into the less accessible walls.

Even if you decide to run the mini coax, still run at least 2 cat5e wires. You never know what the future may bring - you may want a network plug or the ability to run a IR repeater system, or a phone jack, or etc, etc, etc.

I just this week ran a IR repeater system over cat5e wire behind my TV. This is in addition to the 5 mini coax wire that I have. I've had my TV set up in this location for the last 8 months and only now needed to add the IR system. I've also used the cat5e for a network run when I first got my Sage HD extender and wanted to play with it right away :( It goes in the main media closet, but it was nice to be able to hook it up to the TV right away to see how it worked. If I hadn't run the cat5e wires in addition to the coax, I wouldn't be able to do any of this.

Good luck. Keep the questions coming.

I've also used the cat5e for a network run when I first got my Sage HD extender and wanted to play with it right away :( It goes in the main media closet, but it was nice to be able to hook it up to the TV right away to see how it worked.

I see many that think the extender must go at the remote location, it's nice to see someone that has them installed centrally.

However I do think the extender and amp installed on a per room basis is probably the easiest and cheapest possibly solution. Assuming of course that you can find a place to hide them. It's not the only way to do it.

I've also used the cat5e for a network run when I first got my Sage HD extender and wanted to play with it right away ;) It goes in the main media closet, but it was nice to be able to hook it up to the TV right away to see how it worked.

I see many that think the extender must go at the remote location, it's nice to see someone that has them installed centrally.

However I do think the extender and amp installed on a per room basis is probably the easiest and cheapest possibly solution. Assuming of course that you can find a place to hide them. It's not the only way to do it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I definitely understand the reasoning behind having the extender in the local display. It makes the whole distribution system super simple. You basically only need a single cat5e wire to do everything.

However, we have a flat screen TV mounted on a wall in our family room. We don't have any AV equipment out where it is visable and really like the clean look of the installation. In that situaiton, putting the HD extender locally goes against everything we have been working for. So it goes in the central wiring closet with all the other equipment.

I also did the centrally locate each sage HDExtender, and just run the component video wiring plus audio to each location where I didn't want a local extender. That's what I did with my wallmount plasma, no chance of a local box in that room. I also have a physical DVD player and the Wii in the central location, with a Denon 3805 acting as the switcher, and component output from there to the TV. Life is easier for me as I chose not to support physical DVD playback in any location other than the H/T room, so i didn't need to get a matrix switcher.

I have a locally mounted IR receiver so I can still use a remote to control it all. The cool thing is that I can press the "pause" button, and the system determines whether to pause SageTV, DVD Player, or the CQC audio player. Makes life very simple, didn't take much wiring to do at all.

Back