Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

Btech

There seems to have been much interest in Home Energy Monitoring as of late. Perhaps the most popular product in this field is the TED. At Brultech, we feel that our ECM-1220.H is a superior product in performance, options and versatility. We have been designing and manufacturing energy monitors since our ECM-200 release in 1992 and sold to power companies and co-ops across North America.

I was approached by a cocoontech member today, asking to justify such a price difference between the two systems. I responded in two ways:

1. I have compiled a list of features and functions the ECM-1220.H can do which are not available with the TED. This is not to put down the TED, this is simply to point out the advantages of the Brultech over the TED.

2. I have provided the cocoontech members with a special offer which lowers the cost of the ECM-1220.H down within $10 of the TED system with software.

Some of you may be interested in knowing that someone will soon be developing a CQC driver for the ECM-1220.H.

Below is my response to the cocoontech member's question:

I thank you very much for your honest, to the point question.

You are right in that the TED is our main competitor. We offer similar systems however the ECM-1220 does offer several advantages which I

will elaborate on shortly.

We have a "Lite" version of our software which we are currently beta testing. It will come free with our monitors very soon. In fact it will

be posted on our site(free) for any ECM-1220 owners to download and use. This software has the ability to download, display realtime,

change ECM-1220 settings and write to our web server, all in one. This free "Lite" version is intended to soften the price issue. Software is not our strength, hardware is. Many people elect to custom write their own software and that is why we make the protocol available to our customers.

I was thinking about a special offer for coccontech members. I don't want to get in trouble with any distributors over pricing, however, I

would consider this a private group.

Read the Brultech/TED comparison then look at the special offer we are now offering:

Advantages of the ECM-1220.H over the TED:

The ECM-1220 is a two channel unit which allows monitoring of two seperate loads if desired. We have a solution for connecting both phases

of a 120V/240V panel to a single channel if desired, leaving the other channel to monitor a secondary load. The TED is a single channel

unit.

The ECM-1220 does not require actual electrical connection inside the panel for the 120V supply, ours is done via wall transformer plugged

in a local outlet. The TED requires connecting to one of the circuit breakers inside the panel.

I don't know if TED offers downloading of data, but the ECM-1220 can store and download 13.080 records (non-volatile) of 1 minute interval

for download (interval is selectable with a 1 minute res. up to 255). The memory can be expanded (optionaly) to 50,000 + records.

The ECM-1220 provides robust communication via a USB cable directly to the metering device. The data for the TED has to make its way to the

USB port using PLC which is undependable. The ECM-1220.H wireless option is also robust as it is on a mesh network and its range can be

extended by adding a node. I'm sure you have heard about some of the powerline carrier (PLC ) horor stories typical of X-10 and other

devices.

The ECM-1220 CT cables are easily extended using Cat5 or shielded cable if desired, allowing the metering unit to be mounted away from the

electrical panel if desired. This is not the case with the TED.

Load changes are much more easy to analyse with the ECM-1220 since using the two channels will quickly indicate if the load is a 240V load

or if it is a 120V load and which phase it is on. This further narrows the load source. The TED is restricted to all loads represented by a

single total.

A wide selection of CTs providing increased accuracy should a low amperage panel or load be monitored is offered with the ECM-1220. As far

as I know, the TED uses 200A CTs only.

The ECM-1220 is user flash upgradable with free upgrades available on our site. I dont believe this is the case with the TED.

The ECM-1220.h now provides the capablity of "net metering" for wind and solar systems selling power back to the power company. The TED

requires two TED units to accomplish this and I'm not sure how well both units would synchronise its communication doing this.

The ECM-1220.H compiles all of the samples taken during a given second and imediately sends it out the port for an instant update of the

power used. Although the TED sends information at 1 second interval as does the ECM-1220, the TED claims a two second response time to a

change in load. Ours is immediate.

The ECM-1220 is capable of monitoring a 120V/208V panel fed from two phases of a three phase system. The TED cannot do this.

Our power resolution is in 1 Watt increments. I believe this to be 10W resolution for the TED. I don't see this spec anywhere on their site

but they do mention that it is sensitive to a 10W difference.

I would consider a special offer to cocoontech members of:

1- ECM-1220.H-PL pkg
2- Split-Core CTs of choice
1- USB cable
1- Lite software

$199.00 for Coccoontech customer. ($10 more than the price you would pay for the TED and software)

A zigbee version of the same pkg which also includes a zigbee dongle similar in function to : XA-B14-CE1R
which sell for $70 and the installed zigbee ZNET2.5 radio module which sells for $21.00 from the same site.

http://www.digi.com/products/wireless/zigb...es2-adapter.jsp
http://www.digi.com/products/wireless/zigb...ies2-module.jsp

We would charge an additional $99 for this option. These modules, I am told, can be flash upgraded to the new Zigbee spec, making them

compatible for communicating with all of the zigbee home devices using the new zigbee standard. We have not experimented with this and are

going by the digi.com statements.

NOTE:

Brultech Research Inc reserves the right to cancel this offer at any time.
Brultech Research Inc limits the sale of one unit per member only unless given specific permission by Brultech
The ECM-1220 may not be purchased for resale.

A dedicated Online page will be setup by Aug 22, 2008.

The comparison to the TED is from information found on their site and their User's manual. Should I have misrepresented any information here, please feel free to correct me.

Paul

In case you are wondering ...

Paul represents the company making these units. Since people have been expressing interest in this device, I approved this post in advance, as it would definitely benefit the membership.

So is there an free SDK for those of us that would want to use a more main stream software package such as HomeSeer for monitoring this hardware? :)

Very interesting and it seems less likely to have a problem coexisting with automated lighting etc. Hopefully Powerhome, Homeseer, ISY will develop plug ins etc.

Some of you may be interested in knowing that someone will soon be developing a CQC driver for the ECM-1220.H.

Man, this is just evil.

I'll probably get one over the TED given that a mfr rep is willing to come here and talk directly to us *and* give us a break...

Man, this is just evil.

I'll probably get one over the TED given that a mfr rep is willing to come here and talk directly to us *and* give us a break...

I will probably get one when they come out with a network version.

I wonder how this unit would compare with the RFXcom power monitor set I was looking at?

Mark

I was lurking in the other thread, I thought there was going to be a network expansion thingey coming out for this?

I agree, that would be a needed upgrade for me.

I'm extremely interested in this offer, but I am still unsure of how this connects. A ring goes over the pipe on the panel, and the unit plugs into a standard socket? Which of these connections is extendable by CAT5? I would hope it's the one to the panel, so I could plug-in this unit near my computer (to connect via USB) and run the extended cable down to the panel.

I'm extremely interested in this offer, but I am still unsure of how this connects. A ring goes over the pipe on the panel, and the unit plugs into a standard socket? Which of these connections is extendable by CAT5? I would hope it's the one to the panel, so I could plug-in this unit near my computer (to connect via USB) and run the extended cable down to the panel.

That's correct, only it's a (very large) wire in the panel and not a pipe. But yes, it's that connection that can be extended with cat5.

Brett

That's correct, only it's a (very large) wire in the panel and not a pipe. But yes, it's that connection that can be extended with cat5.

Brett

From there the unit can then connect via USB or ZigBee to your PC. So you got I believe up to 100' over cat5 to the display unit from the panel then 6ft of USB (without USB repeater/extenders) or 100 ft with Zigbee to that PC.

To this is the biggest advantage over TED, no power line based communication. I am sure the makers of TED thought it was a good idea making for an easy install, but for the home auto crowd who needs thier existing PLC to not be interfered with it's not worth it, at least not to me.

Also the prospect of a true wired ethernet version is the end game, I can put the display where I want and run two cat5's to it one for the current tranformers the other for ethernet into my home lan, from there I can read it from any computer or multiple at the same time. This can be done with the Zigbee version but I prefer to stay wired if at all possible, and if I do need to go wireless I would rather it be on my WiFI network using say an ethernet to WiFi bridge if need be.

Although since my roomba also uses zigbee perhaps it might not be bad to get into ZigBee networking, but thats a whole nother project.

So is there an free SDK for those of us that would want to use a more main stream software package such as HomeSeer for monitoring this hardware? :)

There are protocol documents and some vb source code (not vb.net, old vb) that Paul sent me when I asked for them. They are not on the web site. I asked for them because I write my own software and I wanted to see how difficult the protocol was before I bought the unit. That's an important part of any product evaluation for me.

The protocol is pretty simple to use and it only took me a week or so to create a .net assembly to communicate with the unit, and a xAP assembly to broadcast the state. Since I don't have a unit yet these are totally untested, but the point is the protocol is pretty easy to use.

He mentioned another packet type (that would make 3) that has additional information for use with solar/wind systems, but that's not in the documentation currently. I look forward to this info being added. I'll probably buy a unit once I see the cocoontech special tomorrow.

I see some features that do not appear to be in the protocol that I would like, but I'll wait to get one and actually use the protocol before I start whining (errr... expressing interest in) these missing items.

Matt

Are there any plans to offer a Z-Wave connection module rather than ZigBee? Many of us use a Z-Wave network in our home and do not have the means to run wires to our breaker panels.

Rupp, you don't have to run wire for ZigBee either. ZigBee is actually a really good choice for this application.

Rupp, you don't have to run wire for ZigBee either. ZigBee is actually a really good choice for this application.

I think his point was that he wants to install the device near his panel and use his existing Z-Wave network to communicate with it... rather than purchasing a ZigBee computer interface and all.

Brett

Paul, I've got a couple of questions about the CT's and I'm hoping you can help me.

First, as a bit of background, I have 200A electrical service to my house. As a test the other day I tried to turn on pretty much all of the electrical devices in my house - my two heat pumps, the electric water heater, the range and the drier and many of my lights and other appliances. Then I put a clamp on ammeter on each leg of my electric service and discovered that with pretty much everything on I was only drawing about 60A on each leg.

Now, it's my understanding that the 100A CT's have a bit better accuracy on the low end than the 200A CT's. Given that it's highly unlikely that I'll ever draw more than 100A - it was all I could do to draw 60A with everything on - would I be OK getting 100A CT's? Or do I need to get 200A CT's because I have 200A service? If I do get 100A CT's and I somehow manage to draw 110A or 150A at some point would that damage anything or would I just get bad readings during the periods of high current draw?

Also, are the solid core CT's any more accurate than the split core CT's or are they just a little cheaper because they're easier to make? I have a somewhat unique situation in that my main breaker is in a box on the outside of my house, which feeds a panel with the rest of my breakers inside the house. So it would be fairly easy (and safe) for me to shut off the power at the main breaker outside, then temporarily disconnect those feeds on the box inside (which would then have no power in it) to slip a solid core CT on. It's certainly worth a little extra trouble for me to do that if I might get slightly better readings, but if the difference really is only cost, then I may as well pay a few dollars more and have the ease of just clipping the split core CT's on.

Thanks much,
Brett

Back