Premise UPB Driver

Motorola Premise

harnett

Hi All,

Anyone willing to help me with the UPB driver. I have installed the driver all seems well. Driver saw all my devices as I think it should. Now what. How do I link a Premise device to the devices that show up in the driver. They don't appear as options when I go the the Premise device and try to bind them to something. Are there any instruction for using this driver. I'd really appreciate any help you'd be willing to give.

BB

Are your devices showing up as unknown devices? Or do you actually see device model numbers, etc.?

If they are showing up as unknown, I've never been able to get them to work, as Premise doesn't know what they are. So that means that there are only a few items that actually work, those that are specifically coded into the drivers.

Which UPB devices do you have?

Are your devices showing up as unknown devices? Or do you actually see device model numbers, etc.?

If they are showing up as unknown, I've never been able to get them to work, as Premise doesn't know what they are. So that means that there are only a few items that actually work, those that are specifically coded into the drivers.

Which UPB devices do you have?

They show up as unknown devices. Are you saying that is the driver recognized the device it would show up when I try to bind a light object to it. If so do you know what particular Model upb devices that the driver can use.

BB

If they're unknown, you're hosed.

The supported models are hard coded. And the drivers were done years ago. So they support Simply Automated and PCS.

If you go to the Builder > Devices >upbSA or upbPCS and look at the Product ID List on the Properties sheet, it will tell you which items are included for each driver.

What products are you using?

I wish I could code, because I would just write a driver. But I'm just starting to learn VBScript. So it'll be a while before I get there. Plus it would be nice if we had a driver that could just use the UPStart export file instead of hard coding.

I have the C++ source code for the UPB driver but I've never tried to compile it so I don't know if it is complete. If I can make that happen, then it presents the possibility of adding support for current devices. I'll see what I can do ...

You sir, have been the one man Premise machine ;)

Do you even have any UPB devices?

Please let me know if I can help.

I have installed some UPB devices in my system. I currently use my Elk M1 to interface with them. I would like to also use Premise to interface with them. I have found the driver, but where and how do I install this in to the Premise program? Any help would be great.

Thanks

You need to drop the upb.dll and any of the product specific ones (upbSA.dll, upbPCS.dll, etc.) into the Premise\Bin\Devices directory. Restart the Premise service (probably not necessary, but I always do) and then go to Add-Ins icon in the upper left hand corner, or File> Add-Ins. Go to devices, select the UPB device and any of the sub-devices you added. Click OK.

Then go to Devices. You should see a UPB device as well as the subs you added. Right-click the UPB device an add the type of interface you are using (Serial, USB, TCP). That should do it. It will scan your UPB network and add the items it finds. If you do not get anything showing up, you may need to manually add a PIM device by right-clicking the upbSerialInterface (or USB or TCP) and adding a PIM.

Should look something like...

Attachments

• Premise_UPB.gif
    Premise_UPB.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 24
OK was able to install the .dll files, but I still cant see the devices. I am communicating through my Elk M1 XEP, does this make any difference? Am I missing something?

Thanks

I neglected to mention that you need to set your com port if you have a serial PIM.

Also, understand that this driver is VERY old and does not support a lot of newer UPB devices. What UPB devices are you using? Especially the PIM?

I am using the Simply Automated UMC-DB9-W for the PIM, For the lamp modules, I am using the Simply Automated UML-20. I have a serial PIM, but it uses the Elk serial controller, to talk to the M1 control, which talks to Premise via the ethernet expander.

Does the PC see the serial port on the Elk as a standard port? If so you need to Devices, expand upb, click on upbSerialInterface then look in the properties pane on the right and find the Serial Communication section and set the Network setting to the correct serial port.

Premise uses the Lantronix device to talk to the Elk through the ethernet expander, then to port 1. Im pretty sure that the lanronix device is an ip to serial type interface. When I tell it to use the M1's XEP device, it says the port is already in use.

Someone else may have to reply on this. I have never used an Elk. I have noticed however, that my Global Cache devices serial ports do not work correctly with Premise. Maybe they should, but they don't.

If you have an open serial port on your PC, you may want to bypass the Elk and connect directly just to see if everything is working.

GC100 serial ports: both of mine work fine, but I had to manually set the port settings to match the Premise device serial settings by going to the GC100's html page. Your serial devices won't work if you don't do this.

Elk M1G Lighting: If you have the UPB stuff working in ElkRP (i.e. with the Elk alone), I think the Elk module in Premise will be able to actuate the lights, but you may have to set up some parameters for the lights to be discovered. I don't have Premise in front of me, but I think the container under the Elk_M1G module is labeled something like PLC. I'd recommend reading 123's instructions for the Elk M1G module and see if it talks about lighting. I don't use the Elk for lighting control, but I know that lighting control is a feature of the 123's Elk M1G module.

Back