• Experience:average
  • Software:CQC
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, RadioRA2
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hi Folks, sorry, yes, I have been taking too long. I have gone through a few refactorings (actually more like rewrite) to get things running more reliably under Android. I had more problems than expected getting the basic app in place, mostly due to me learning the Android programming model as I go. The issue isn't really Java v C (I have written lots of Java, and digitaldan's java library seems pretty well baked) and more specific to the way Android works.

I have a few changes queued up that I want to make, but I've had real life get in the way of making them. I'm expecting to focus back on this and hope to have an update for you all soon.

Just so I know how to prioritize my time, it would be useful to know how much functionality is "enough" for folks to find this useful:
  • Arm/Disarm security altogether (all areas) vs by area?
  • Ability to bypass or restore zones?
  • group lights by room vs one big list?
  • turn lights on/off vs dim levels?
  • support for scenes?
  • Lumina compatibility vs Omni / OmniPro?
  • Whole House Audio (On/Off by zone, volume and source control, etc)
  • Support for Events, Messages, Notifications will almost certainly be dealt with later
  • Ease of Use
  • Reliability of the app (doesn't crash or produce "App Not Responding" dialogs, doesn't drain battery life, etc)
  • Prettiness (nice graphics, clean UI, ability to customize)

folks who are interested in using the app: can you prioritize from most to least important and identify where the minimum set of functionality is (in your mind) that I should target for release?

note that i'm expecting to open-source the app (digitaldan's library is GPL'd) so it would be great if there are other folks who are willing to help out with some of the above.

#17 ASIHome

ASIHome

Dedicated Cocooner

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

While I can't really help with the programming, I do have an OPII and a Droid to test with.

#18 AutomatedOutlet

AutomatedOutlet

Cocoonut

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2523 posts
  • Twitter:@AutomatedOutlet
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:2GIG, Elk M1, HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Custom
  • Tech:UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee, RadioRA2
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, Grandstream

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

I would say that the highest priorities to me would be to arm/disarm and also be able to trigger a scene (like all off).

#19 Desertdog

Desertdog

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

For me lighting control is the priority. ON/OFF/DIM individual lights. I also have a DAY MODE, GOODNIGHT buttons.

I don't have whole house audio, so that is not a priority. Arm/Disarm is not a priority for me, but probably is for others. I have an OPII, so lumina is not a priority for me.

#20 mc85

mc85

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Software:HomeSeer
  • Tech:X10-PLC, UPB, Z-Wave
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

I am interested in helping with the coding. I am not the best coder but I have written a few blackberry apps and would like to start learning about the android. I have an OmniIIe to test with but dont have an android yet, was looking at getting a android pmp and using it instead of the 5.7e omnitouch.

#21 rdgibson

rdgibson

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hello js19707,

How far along have you been able to get on this one? Would love to take a look at the code if you are willing to share.

Thanks,

rdgibson

#22 js19707

js19707

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 192 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:CQC
  • Tech:UPB, RadioRA2
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hello js19707,

How far along have you been able to get on this one? Would love to take a look at the code if you are willing to share.

Thanks,

rdgibson

Hi-
sorry for the delay in writing back. rdgibson: it looks like you can't receive PMs yet, so i'll just post here.

i've been busy with non-work and non-HA things (wife and i had our first child back in december, and life has been pretty crazy since then). using digitaldan's jomnilink library, i had a (very) basic android app running on a simulator and my device (didn't work as well as the device) against my OPII panel. i had some issues w/ my threading model (UI activities throwing ANRs), but the backend service seemed to be working OK. i concluded another refactoring was in order to more cleanly define and separate the UI and backend services; while i had been trying to use the jomnilink library as-is, i was also thinking about some further refactoring there too. i need to spend a solid block of several hours to work my way through that, but it's been hard to find/motivate.

if you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested in helping, that might help motivate me to find the time. also, if you (or someone else out there) has experience with Android UI, i'd happily offload that work because backend code is more my forte.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users