Carrier Infinity

nov0798

Dont know if this has been covered already, but it looks like Carrier has an automation controller for their INfinty line.
I emailed Carrier and told them I was interested in using my M1 to control the HVAC. They sent me an email back and said I need to use Carrier part # SYSTXCCSAMCAT501. They also sent me some documents.

Darn, the documents are too big. Anyone have any idea how to post these rather larger .pdf docs?

FWIW, i took out my Carrier thermo, and put in an Aprilaire to control my carrier infinity. That means either the M1 or CQC can control the HVAC.

And if I hadn't screwed up the wiring when I moved the thermo, I might still be able to control it :)

The Infiniti has a proprietary thermostat as was just posted. You cannot replace it with any other unit. We are getting one and I plan to write a driver for it for HAI panel I am getting. Shouldn't be too hard.

The Infiniti has a proprietary thermostat as was just posted. You cannot replace it with any other unit. We are getting one and I plan to write a driver for it for HAI panel I am getting. Shouldn't be too hard.

Well, I have a Carrier WeatherMaker Infinity 58MVP, and it works just fine with an Aprilaire Thermo. I know because I just pressed the little buttons on it, and now my house is nice & warm :)

Well, I have a Carrier WeatherMaker Infinity 58MVP, and it works just fine with an Aprilaire Thermo. I know because I just pressed the little buttons on it, and now my house is nice & warm :)
Interesting. Is the above a heat pump? If so, HAI folks told me their thermostat would not work with and Carrier web site shows only this specific thermostat working with it.

eh, i dunno what a heat pump is, but it's a gas-powered forced air furnace if that helps.

I checked with Aprilaire several times and got it in writing that their thermo would work. I also called the company that installed it to see if it would work and to see if they'd be willing to install it, and they said that it's so simple that if I knew anything about wiring that I could do it and that most thermos with the basic 4 or 5 wire hookup would work.

IM not trying to replace the thermo with another, I am simply trying to control it with a controller. As for propriatery, I dont think so!

IM not trying to replace the thermo with another, I am simply trying to control it with a controller. As for propriatery, I dont think so!
As noted in the doc, you need to hook up a serial cable to the thermstat and send it the commands that way. Was this your question?

eh, i dunno what a heat pump is, but it's a gas-powered forced air furnace if that helps.
Yes, that is helpful. What you have is a gas furnace. A heat pump is an A/C unit that works in reverse to generate heat (as opposed to remove it) as necessary. The operation is somewhat different, especially the multi-stage one with aux heat. Carrier's heat pumps can be used with any thermostat but they claim that that top end one can only be used with their thermstat.

I looked at the Aprilaire site and it seems strange that they don't have a compatibility chart. Did you ever find such a thing?

I looked at the Aprilaire site and it seems strange that they don't have a compatibility chart. Did you ever find such a thing?

No, I had to resort to multiple emails to get my question answered. In their defense, their email support was outstanding and very fast, so it wasn't a problem.

Amin,
I wasnt asking any question. I was stating that it looks like they have a controller that ?may? work with home automation controllers such as the M1.

Thats all!

Not sure about the specifics of a Carrier heat pump, but most of the automated thermostat manufacturers sell versions that work with heat pumps. I use a RCS TR40. This allows for three stages of heat. The geo unit is typically Stage1 and then most systems use electric toasters as the next two subsequent stages. My next stages are high efficiency propane furnaces.
The geo units are scaled not to handle the coldest of days so during the majority of days, the compressor is running almost continuous, but with less amperage for each hour, optimizing energy efficiency.

Some of the furnaces uses speed adjustable blower motors, which may require a "special" thermostat to send the "how fast" message to the blower motor. I suspect these motors could still be used with a non "special" thermostat, but then the variable blower feature might be omitted.

The reverse cycle function is typically not handled in the thermostat, but in the control logic at the furnace that uses "A/C" (yellow) signal from the thermostat to trigger the valve changes to reverse action.

Yes, that is helpful. What you have is a gas furnace. A heat pump is an A/C unit that works in reverse to generate heat (as opposed to remove it) as necessary. The operation is somewhat different, especially the multi-stage one with aux heat. Carrier's heat pumps can be used with any thermostat but they claim that that top end one can only be used with their thermstat.

Back