Premise Infected MP3s?

Motorola Premise
C

chucklyons

I've been tracking this Premise (PRKernal) problem for a number of days. Let me describe....An album that may have been downloaded from one of those P2P services (even though I own the media on vinyl....).

When I add the 'album', PRKernal went NUTZ!!!!! Memory usage skyrocketed. Handles went to 15k+; threads almost at 1000.
I changed disks, directories, installed/reinstalled, even went down to the base xdo, which I put up for Sam....

Finally, I drilled down to the last state (before I left for Hawaii!!!!) of the media. And then I started adding 'album' by 'album'.
I added the '15 Big Ones' by the Beach Boys. WHAM!!!!!!
Back to the outrageous resources usage....

Without it, PRKernal runs forever....

Anybody heard of corrupt/virus-laden/malware mp3s?

I am totally baffled!...however, if I can interest anyone in '15 Big Ones'.....;)

I've seen ones where the tags didn't follow the standards and confused certain apps, or they'd freeze up some programs but not others.

Try a nice tag editor to see if it can clean it up - I like mp3tagstudio but there may be better ones by now. Try cleaning things up and seeing if that help. I don't think a virus could be embedded, but the software could certainly be confused.

Thank you, sir...

I use MusicBrainz...It seems to work fairly well for fixing tags. Free.

I stuck '15 Big Ones' back into the directory. Rescanned. Its now in the 'CD' Fileprovider. (one way to 'force' a Premise Media rescan is to change one of the file extension types). I'll give it another all night test, but here for this first hour or so, resource usage looks great. I'd sure love to know the 'why' on the tag problem....

I doubt I would have ever figured this one out....Thanks!

(for future readers...consider this 'case closed')

Back