[CES 2009] Exclusive Updates - HD-PLC

BraveSirRobbin

CocoonTech CES 2009 Exclusive Updates:
hdplcLogo.jpg

HD-PLC is a standard that runs communications needed for distribution of systems such as high def TV, lighting control, and Internet access, through your AC power lines!

We have seen reports of network distribution over power lines before, but never anything like this. This system uses various noise profiling cancellation and high speed (200 mbytes per second) speed to perform reliable communications through your home's power lines.

Noise profiling means that this 'alliance' will 'profile' a noise pattern of an appliance (just about anything that plugs into your home), then when the system sees that profile/pattern, it will incorporate real time processing to ignore that noise. All communications are also 128-bit encrypted.

They have a large market base in Japan and are now moving into the United States.

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

Here is an example of this technology distributing and HDMI signal. The photo below shows a standard Blue Ray player and a standard high def tv. The video signal out of the player is distributing the signal to the TV via the power line (note the two power plugs).

You can monitor power usage of a single breaker or the entire home. There are also lighting and blind control products as well.

Please visit the HD-PLC Alliance web site for additional information on this new exciting technology.

Hmmm. I wonder how bad it is for GENERATING line (and RF) noise? Of course, you have to look hard to find a more electronics rich environment than Japan, so they might have the problem licked. As Squintz says, worth doing a little reading on.

wonder if it interferes with our current lightning PLC usage.. But it would be cool for apartment dwellers, and retrofit if not.

The alliance trys to 'profile' just about every piece of appliance out there that can be plugged into a wall. They are just starting out in the United States so I'm not sure about our country's standards.

What I DO like is they seem to address noise issues directly rather than the band-aid approach (that other power line protocals do) of using noise blocks.

I'm predicting that this WILL be the next big break for home theater and automation distribution. IF they can keep the price per module down, this technology will be huge!

The alliance trys to 'profile' just about every piece of appliance out there that can be plugged into a wall. They are just starting out in the United States so I'm not sure about our country's standards.

What I DO like is they seem to address noise issues directly rather than the band-aid approach (that other power line protocals do) of using noise blocks.

I'm predicting that this WILL be the next big break for home theater and automation distribution. IF they can keep the price per module down, this technology will be huge!

I agree. A nice powerline method that will even carry your HD... that would be a no brainer to have.

Back