ELK Lost Transmitter Error

fcwilt

Hi,

I have an current ELK M1G with (among other add-ons) a M1XRF2G. From time to time I am getting error messages on the keypad about a "Lost Transmitter". What does this message mean exactly and what (if anything) do I do to correct the problem?

Thank you

Hi,

I have an current ELK M1G with (among other add-ons) a M1XRF2G. From time to time I am getting error messages on the keypad about a "Lost Transmitter". What does this message mean exactly and what (if anything) do I do to correct the problem?

Thank you
Sounds like maybe you have one of your wireless sensors having a problem. Low battery perhaps?

Hi,

Thank you
Sounds like maybe you have one of your wireless sensors having a problem. Low battery perhaps?

I considered that but how to determine which sensor? The entire house uses wireless sensors.

Thanks.

The hourly supervisory transmissions are generally a shorter duration than an alarm transmission, so that if the RF link is weak it will show up as missing in the supervisory transmissions. Find out which transmitter is missing in the log. The battery could be getting weak or something could have moved into its transmission path that is affecting its signal strength. Go to Walk Test Mode (Elk key, option 3) and trigger the transmitter. The M1 will announce the RF Level as the number of data packets received. 4 or less is a weak transmitter.

The hourly supervisory transmissions are generally a shorter duration than an alarm transmission, so that if the RF link is weak it will show up as missing in the supervisory transmissions. Find out which transmitter is missing in the log. The battery could be getting weak or something could have moved into its transmission path that is affecting its signal strength. Go to Walk Test Mode (Elk key, option 3) and trigger the transmitter. The M1 will announce the RF Level as the number of data packets received. 4 or less is a weak transmitter.

That is good to know. I will do that and see what is going on.

I have a wireless PIR that recently alerted as "low battery" so I changed the battery. The low battery message will not go away on my elk m1. It's been coming up every morning when I disarm the system for the past 3 weeks.

How do I get rid of this message? I changed the batteries a second time to make sure and no change.

I tried going to "walk test" but this particular zone isn't available for the walk test for some reason. I can walk test every other zone but this one doesn't come up in the list.

Any ideas?

How come when I try to do a Walk Test (wireless PIR and window sensors) ELK doesn't announce the RF level and number of packets of the tripped transmitters?

So I've replaced the batteries in my two transmitters that are giving "Lost Transmitter" messages.  I know that they are transmitting, because I can detect the signal each time I trigger one.  I have placed them within two feet of the receiver.  Still getting "Lost Transmitter" messages.  Thoughts?

What type of transmitter and what type of receiver do you have?

Is this a new installation, or were they working fine for some time and just recently started getting the lost transmitter messages?

Receiver: ELK-M1XRF2H
Transmitter: 5800PIR-RES

The receiver and other 5800s have been working for over a year.  Two newer 5800s have been "working" for six months.  I say "working" because they did not cause Lost Transmitter messages.  They did get my attention when I realized that, although I have them set to chime on the panel, they were not provoking a chime.  This took awhile to notice because they are distant from the panel.  So I am not certain that they ever did function properly, only that they did not provoke Lost Transmitter notices.

Once I noticed this anomaly,  I tried reprogramming them.  Several times.  Still no chime.  Still "lost transmitter".  As I stated above, I have one of these devices right next to the receiver and it is still showing "Lost transmitter".  

Here's my take:

Though they should be compatible, nowhere does any doc for the RF2H state the 5800PIR is compatible. I ran across this years ago with the wireless GE billtraps on a job.

Are you allowing the RF PIR's to time out from their "sleep" functionality or drive the motions constantly to chime?

Back