Barionet

Lagerhead

Is anyone using a Barionet to collect data periodically from IP-connected devices?

Yes the Barionet will directly attach a variety of sensors and such, but I don't mean that. I mean, does its rules engine (sort-of-BASIC-like) have enough power and flexibility, and its processor have enough speed and memory, to poll a few IP-networked devices at frequent intervals, collect key data from those devices, then aggregate and report on the data? And, how readily will it emulate a browser client, for talking with host-based systems? XML or RSS-like capability?

Hi Lagerhead,

I have a Barionet that I've programmed and find BCL (their low-level BASIC dialect) very capable and fast. I have some hard-wired motion and door sensors hooked to the Barionet digital inputs and some garage door and deadbolt contacts hooked to the relays and digital outputs. I created a BCL program to integrate with the ISY Insteon controller. Since the ISY uses Web services to communicate, I had to open a couple of TCP sockets and create some state machines in BCL to parse the ISY XML status messages and send ISY XML event messages. Since this worked so well, I also added support for the WGL W800 X10 wireless receiver connected to the Barionet RS232 port so I could include my X10 wireless devices (including Eagle Eyes and DS10As) in the integration. I was skeptical when I started whether BCL was powerful enough to support all of this, but it is. Even with all of this, performance seems fine. I was also able to create some Web pages on the Barionet that allows configuring all the ISY and WGL parameters -- such as connection info, log-in credentials and X10 security codes -- and easily maintain those in the Barionet's EEPROM. I wouldn't say that all of this was easy, especially given BCL's low-level nature, but it was very do-able.

I haven't found any other device like the Barionet with equivalent price/performance/capability. I hope this helps.

Randy

Thanks Randy for the excellent comment. I'd say that's an endorsement. (BTW are you in sales or distribution for Barix? ;) )
Dave

Thanks Randy for the excellent comment. I'd say that's an endorsement. (BTW are you in sales or distribution for Barix? ;) )
Dave

LOL. No, just a hobbyist with a long programming history. I'm surprised just how capable these little boxes (Barionet, ISY, etc.) have become. But then, I remember when 10MB hard drives were the size of washing machines. :p

Depending on your technical and programming ability, for an IP connected device, I'm impressed with the processing-power to price ratio of a hacked NSLU2 ( www.nslu2-linux.org ).

This is, assuming that you can program your data capture scripts in either Perl, Phyton, PHP or other high level program. And with support for external HDD, you have a lot of space to store data without having a PC turned on 24Hrs.

I'm impressed with the processing-power to price ratio of a hacked NSLU2 ( www.nslu2-linux.org ).
I have looked at this and I like the concept. But I thought that the hardware was no longer available. The unrelated NGW100 has been mentioned here also as a Linux platform. In any case I would need the simplest, most reliable, vanilla Linux base. This is because I have no Linux knowledge, and that is because I have invested no time in it. I *really* like PHP, though; it is one fine language.

I use OpenWRT (White Russian) on my WRT54GL. I stripped all the extras such as router functionality etc., so I could cram PHP on there. I wrote a few drivers in PHP (Elk M1, IRC, E-mail, etc.), and it runs pretty well (all in a single php file). I do need to figure out how to do some sort of multithreading, but that's for another topic :lol:

I'm impressed with the processing-power to price ratio of a hacked NSLU2 ( www.nslu2-linux.org ).
I have looked at this and I like the concept. But I thought that the hardware was no longer available. The unrelated NGW100 has been mentioned here also as a Linux platform. In any case I would need the simplest, most reliable, vanilla Linux base. This is because I have no Linux knowledge, and that is because I have invested no time in it. I *really* like PHP, though; it is one fine language.

i got a couple off ebay and flashed them w/ slugos. it all runs off a usb stick.

I use OpenWRT (White Russian) on my WRT54GL. I stripped all the extras such as router functionality etc., so I could cram PHP on there. I wrote a few drivers in PHP (Elk M1, IRC, E-mail, etc.), and it runs pretty well (all in a single php file). I do need to figure out how to do some sort of multithreading, but that's for another topic :lol:

Dan, there is something really wrong with you. I hope you know that. If only you could use all of that knowledge for good, instead of evil. :lol:

I have a Barionet [...] I created a BCL program to integrate with the ISY Insteon controller.[...]
@RHughes -

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping Randy's going to see this...

I, too, use an ISY. I'm looking seriously at getting a Barionet to integrate several water meters (offloading the running totals from the ISY using the Barionet's internal counters), a solar H2O controller (via RS-485) and an Ademco alarm panel via Nu Tech's AD2USB adapter (configured for RS-232, despite the name :). Obviously, the ability to use BCL to interface these into the ISY is key to this approach.

If you'd be willing to share what you've done, I'd love to be able to learn from your BCL programs to help bootstrap my own efforts.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

@RHughes -

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping Randy's going to see this...

I, too, use an ISY. I'm looking seriously at getting a Barionet to integrate several water meters (offloading the running totals from the ISY using the Barionet's internal counters), a solar H2O controller (via RS-485) and an Ademco alarm panel via Nu Tech's AD2USB adapter (configured for RS-232, despite the name :). Obviously, the ability to use BCL to interface these into the ISY is key to this approach.

If you'd be willing to share what you've done, I'd love to be able to learn from your BCL programs to help bootstrap my own efforts.

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Hi Peter,

I'd be happy to send you my code. I'll send you a message off-line.

Randy

Well, it took long enough, but here's my ISY code for the Barionet. Sorry for the long delay.

Randy

Attachments

• ISY.zip
    32.2 KB · Views: 21
RHughes said:
Well, it took long enough, but here's my ISY code for the Barionet. Sorry for the long delay.

Randy

How do I install this code? Does it install on the ISY or on the Barionet? This seems to be exactly what I am looking for so that I can integrate temp/humidity readings directly into my ISY-994i to update/activate various programs depending on conditions (too much humidity in bathroom, turn on fan; outside air colder than inside and its summer, turn on fans pulling outside air in....)

Back