DIY HAI?

Neurorad

I've searched, and I can't find anyone who has DIY'd their HAI install. Please speak up.

I thought I was sold on the M1, but I should at least give HAI a look-see.

I'm having trouble finding HAI installation documentation online, other than an old Omni II install manual from 2002 (FYI seems very similar to the Elk M1 install).

I've searched, and I can't find anyone who has DIY'd their HAI install. Please speak up.

I'm having trouble finding HAI installation documentation online, other than an old Omni II install manual from 2002 (FYI seems very similar to the Elk M1 install).

Yup, installed every bit of it myself. Its not really difficult. There are two Omni Pro II documents, the Installer's Guide and the Owner's Guide. You really need to read through each, because how HAI split the subject up is a bit arbitrary.

You should be able to find any manuals you need here:
http://www.worthingtondistribution.com/sol...ns/Manuals/HAI/

They are a bit old, only going up to Firmware 2.14, but the install proceedure really hasn't changed.

For the Owner Manuals, you can go here:
http://www.homeauto.com/Support/Downloads/OmniProii.asp

You have a good point though, HAI does say they support the DIY community, and I've called them on several occasions and they have always been happy to help with problems, but they do keep their installation guides "locked up" on their pro installers web site. I'm guessing that they just don't want info like default passwords disclosed, although they are pretty easy to guess anyway.

Thanks, Ano. I can't find the OIIe (or Pro) Install Manual, at Worthington or anywhere else, but it shouldn't be too different from the 2002 Manual I found at ASI. I got the User's Manual from the HAI website.

They normally give forum access after purchase?

Aren't installers supposed to change the factory passwords?

I did my HAI OmniPro II install myself a few years ago and have no regrets. It was easy to install and has not had a single problem. I have expanded it to include a thermostat, temp and humidity sensors, relays to control garage doors etc., zwave switches and a lot of custom programming.

Don't hesitate to buy the HAI because you are doing a self install. The install is similar in difficulty to Elk and others. The key is to make sure you get the dealer access software with your unit when you buy it or you won't have full access to all options.

Nexus99 has documented some of his DIY HAI install in his blog here:

http://www.cocoontech.com/blog/nexusblog/index.php?

However, he is using the Omni IIe, rather than the OmniPro, but install should be the same for the most part
Thanks for the tip - some great photos in Nexus's blog!

I'm unsure if Nexus installed the controller himself, but he's certainly a whiz when it comes to expansion. Hooking up the wires, and enrolling the modules, is pretty straightforward, I guess. Pretty similar for all systems.

I'll read the '02 Omni Install manual tonight.

I did my HAI OmniPro II install myself a few years ago and have no regrets. It was easy to install and has not had a single problem. I have expanded it to include a thermostat, temp and humidity sensors, relays to control garage doors etc., zwave switches and a lot of custom programming.

Don't hesitate to buy the HAI because you are doing a self install. The install is similar in difficulty to Elk and others. The key is to make sure you get the dealer access software with your unit when you buy it or you won't have full access to all options.
The install of the M1 and HAI systems appears similar, but the Elk install is better documented online.

Thanks for the tip on the software - maybe that's changed recently?

I think of HAI as kind of a 'black box', because I can't read much about it online.

I also considered HAI, and chose not to pursue their products because they appear to be professional-installer only, not DIY friendly. For example, I have little confidence about what automated lighting, alternate thermostats, etc. they support, because drivers and other firmware pieces are not (easily) available. At this point, it is moot for me; others might find it valuable to know this.

I also considered HAI, and chose not to pursue their products because they appear to be professional-installer only, not DIY friendly. For example, I have little confidence about what automated lighting, alternate thermostats, etc. they support, because drivers and other firmware pieces are not (easily) available. At this point, it is moot for me; others might find it valuable to know this.

Being a big supporter of HAI I strongly feel that they are the best controller around. The system is very easy to install and program, however, I don't know your level of competence when it comes to electronics and programming. Key is to focus on the system design, where sensors will be placed and how you want the system to work. A professionally designed system usually is thought out and based on your needs and budget... however, DIY is also possible. HAI supports all major lighting systems that are worth installing... insteon is not, IMHO, considered a "professional" product. HAI does not need drivers just firmware updates which are now free with the new Firmware based controllers. As for thermostats, the RC1000 or RC2000 is very slick. Also, you don't really need "thermostats" visible if you use remote temp sensors that average each room, etc.

<shameless_plug>I even have a UI software that give HAI products a higher-end professional look and feel. http://www.meetmyro.com</shameless_plug>

Hope this helps a bit... feel free to ask any questions...

Thanks,
Danny

Not sure if it helps, but I will be trying to do the install myself, once we move in next month. I've bought parts from both Worthington and Automated Outlet and thus far both have been helpful in deciding the wiring, which parts to get and how to connect thus far. Automated Outlet had no problem emailing the newest install manual. Once I actually get a clue on how to do things, I can contribute more to the forums.

I have a DIY HAI OmniPro II install and it has gone well except for one item. I purchased almost everything from Martin and his crew at AO and they were very helpful in sorting out the kinks for me ( as well as this forum). As with any system like this, the OEM sometimes may be a bit short on the details and the consequences of some decisions since they assume that the installer has some savy on these type systems.
The only major problem I had was due to my lack of understanding on the different approaches to fire/smoke sensors vs alarms. The OmniPro II uses smoke sensors (not alarms) to detect smoke and then uses that info to trigger the house alarms (not the smoke alarms themselves). The OmniPro II is not designed to drive the sounders in the smoke alarms directly. I failed to recognize that fact so in my new house I let them install 2 wire for the smokes. As a result, I wound up using a seperate system from DSC which is dedicated to driving the smoke alarms so it would pass building code in my area. I can monitor the DSC outputs to pick up when smoke alarms have been triggered but it is not the way I wanted the system to work.
If I had more savy about these issues, I would have installed 4 wire in the begining so I would have enough wire to drive the sounders in the smoke alarms directly. There is no guidance on this approach in the HAI manual but there are instruction on the Worthington site to show you how to do this.
This is an example of how a DIY person can get bit. However, I have no regrets and all the rest of my installation is functioning as expected.

I have a DIY HAI OmniPro II install and it has gone well except for one item. I purchased almost everything from Martin and his crew at AO and they were very helpful in sorting out the kinks for me ( as well as this forum). As with any system like this, the OEM sometimes may be a bit short on the details and the consequences of some decisions since they assume that the installer has some savy on these type systems.
The only major problem I had was due to my lack of understanding on the different approaches to fire/smoke sensors vs alarms. The OmniPro II uses smoke sensors (not alarms) to detect smoke and then uses that info to trigger the house alarms (not the smoke alarms themselves). The OmniPro II is not designed to drive the sounders in the smoke alarms directly. I failed to recognize that fact so in my new house I let them install 2 wire for the smokes. As a result, I wound up using a seperate system from DSC which is dedicated to driving the smoke alarms so it would pass building code in my area. I can monitor the DSC outputs to pick up when smoke alarms have been triggered but it is not the way I wanted the system to work.
If I had more savy about these issues, I would have installed 4 wire in the begining so I would have enough wire to drive the sounders in the smoke alarms directly. There is no guidance on this approach in the HAI manual but there are instruction on the Worthington site to show you how to do this.
This is an example of how a DIY person can get bit. However, I have no regrets and all the rest of my installation is functioning as expected.

Thanks for this info Paul. Can you provide a link to the example on Worthington's site? I've wired 18/4 for LV smokes. Currently each one is an independent run back to the OPII and not chained. Not sure if I should leave it like this or just chain them...

CB

Back