Premise Newbie issues

Motorola Premise

viptech

Hello all, I'm an installer using Premise (which I have a week of experience with), a global cache for IR and insteon lighting in a customers house. I have everything working the way I want except the volume buttons. I used the prebuilt wizards to add a cable box and receiver to the home layout and in the device tree, linked them up and got eveything working but the browser buttons for "Master Volume". The master mute for some reason works, but not volume buttons, the volume controls in individual devices work, but the master buttons that appear on all devices only mutes and unmutes. What am I doing wrong, where should I start looking? Many thanks in advance.

Hello all, I'm an installer using Premise (which I have a week of experience with), a global cache for IR and insteon lighting in a customers house. I have everything working the way I want except the volume buttons. I used the prebuilt wizards to add a cable box and receiver to the home layout and in the device tree, linked them up and got eveything working but the browser buttons for "Master Volume". The master mute for some reason works, but not volume buttons, the volume controls in individual devices work, but the master buttons that appear on all devices only mutes and unmutes. What am I doing wrong, where should I start looking? Many thanks in advance.
Additional question, I later realized the tuner doesn't have IR codes for preset tuning, how do I remove the drop-down box the the browser built in?

There are Premise users here that are far more familiar with A/V gear issues than I am. Until they weigh in, I'll try to help as much as I can.

Can you confirm that the attached image depicts the functional and non-functional Volume and Mute controls? If so, then the problem is limited to the aggregated Volume Control (but, curiously, not the aggregated Mute control).

ADDENDUM:
I confirmed that a MediaZone's Master Controls (Volume and Mute) do affect all A/V devices within the MediaZone. You can test it yourself in Premise Builder or view this short video I created showing how the Master Controls affect two A/V devices.

Given that the underlying programming logic is intact, the next culprit would be the IR codes within the drivers. However, you've confirmed that you can alter the volume of each device independently but cannot operate as a group. The only thing I can think of is that 'operating as a group' implies Premise must blast IR commands to both the CableBox and Receiver (simultaneously) via the Global Cache.

Grasping at straws here, but is it possible that when this occurs, something goes wrong? If the IR emitters, for the two A/V devices, are not isolated from one another, perhaps their IR signals get corrupted when Premise sends simultaneous volume-control commands to the two devices. Then again you said Master Mute works ... B) It's a headscratcher!

Attachments

• Controls.png
    Controls.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 24
As for the combo-box that lists the Radio Station Presets, I'm not 100% certain it can be easily removed for a specific Receiver instance. Here's to how to remove it for all Receivers:

In Builder, navigate to: Modules > Plugins > Selectors > AudioVideo > AV_Components > Receiver > PresetsComboBox
In the Properties window, find the Enabled property (in the Plugin sub-section) and disable it (see the attached screenshot).

Attachments

• ReceiverPlugin.png
    ReceiverPlugin.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 28
I don't know whether I am helping or adding to the confusion...but...

I have, in one room, a Plasma, an A/V receiver, and a cablebox...I control the volume for this zone from any of the devices in the display (i.e. the master volume controls the AV receiver....). I have it configured with a Xantech Connecting Block. The output of the GC-100 is used as an input to the Xantech) I have an IR GC-? (sorry, I'll dig it up) plugged into the Xantech and GlobalCache. From the plasma, I have a Xantech receiver that sends the 12vdc, Status, etc to the Xantech connecting block. The GC-100 receives the input fm Premise, and uses the Xantech connecting block to feed the IR signal to each component. Of course, it only controls the appropriate one. In the builder, the IR receiver property is set to the same IR transmitter (Custom device->Pioneer Receiver->Infrared Communication->Transmitter ( in my case, I use transmitter #2 fm the GC-100).

So what happens is the signal from the Broswer goes to the GC-100, passes it to the Xantech Connecting Block, which then passes it the device that is meant to be controlled. And in the meantime, I can still use the normal IR device to control the equipment...

Hope it helps or wait until the w/e when I get to sleep in :)

vip,

Here's a short video demonstrating how to customize the user-interface controls for a specific Receiver model. It is fairly easy and only takes a few minutes.

Good luck!

BTW,
I overlooked to welcome you to Cocoontech and the Premise forum! Welcome! We hope you'll stick around and share your experiences with us.

In my setup I only learned one set of volume commands for the reciver, the cable box is set to a fixed level output, so no codes in that device. This setup is also only for one room and 4 peices (cable, receiver, screen and projector) so I can safely remove all preset buttons. I did see I forgot to link the reciver to the media zone, could that be it? I can't test my theory until tomarrow but will post back if that was my problem. Thanks for your assistance 123!

Thanks for the useful tip! Very useful for me. On my set up, when I added the mute on and off commands for my receiver, the mute button disappeared and was replaced by two taller buttons, one for on, one for off; this offset the location incorrectly. Your tip fixed my problem too as I went and modified the button locations.

As for the combo-box that lists the Radio Station Presets, I'm not 100% certain it can be easily removed for a specific Receiver instance. Here's to how to remove it for all Receivers:

In Builder, navigate to: Modules > Plugins > Selectors > AudioVideo > AV_Components > Receiver > PresetsComboBox
In the Properties window, find the Enabled property (in the Plugin sub-section) and disable it (see the attached screenshot).

You're welcome!

The path you quoted repesents the Selector for all Receivers. Whatever changes you make to that Selector will affect the appearance of all brands of Receivers. A better technique is to use what I demonstrated in the video:

Make a copy the default Receiver Selector
Set its TargetClass property to the Receiver you are using (i.e. Denon AVR-2105 in the video)
Modify the Selector's appearance to suit your needs.

Also don't forget to export "Modules > Plugins" to create a backup! Plugins is part of the AutomationBrowser module and will be overwritten if you ever need to re-install this module.

I've noticed a few other issues with the web browser that persist even when I reset premise and remove the browser activex add ins. I'm interested to see if others have solutions:

In a media zone after I click on my receiver, on the lower left there is a small mute button, power on, power off etc... I think they call this the custom window pane or something. Anyways, when I click the little mute button, I get an error pointing to some folder in the automatic browser module. The error description came up once, but now I can't figure out how to get it to come up again to read it. There is still a sound indicating an error.

Also, the main mute does not change when I mute the receiver and vice versa. The main mute is a toggle and my receiver mute is seperate on and off buttons.

Any ideas on how to fix these mute issues? Any way to re-initialize all the variables in Premise besides rebooting or resetting the entire project? Any place to see an error log? Also, how do I get a volume indicator to display in premise? And how do I get the browser to work with my windows mobile pocket pc? I'm guessing I'll have to format it to windows CE instead of windows mobile?

I am using vista and I'm wondering if this is why I'm having so many little bugs...

... on the lower left there is a small mute button, power on, power off etc... Also, the main mute does not change when I mute the receiver and vice versa...
I'm having trouble visualizing the controls you've described. Can you post a screenshot? (You'll need to keep the image size under 100Kb).

Here's my take on the Master Mute control:
I suspect a MediaZone's Master Mute will not change its state if you mute the individual devices within it. Master Mute affects the state of all devices in the MediaZone but does not reflect the state of them ... even if the MediaZone contains only one device. That's my theory ...

You won't get any reflection of the individual device's state, such as mute, UNLESS that's the primary zone device. To do that, you have to bind the receiver to the media zone. If it is, you should be able to a- Hit mute from a content 'now playing' page and have it reflected in the zone controls B- Hit mute from the individual device and have it reflected in the zone controls. Another factor for IR Controlled devices...if you use the physical remote, you won't get the status of it at all. I know its obvious, but important to remember when troubleshooting (why am I not getting any sound)...of course, it's never happened to me -_-

Thanks Chuck and 123. Please see attached pictures. The arrow points to the little mute button giving the error. I did get the main and the on/off mute buttons to work together though! I didn't realize I had to bind the receiver to A/V output and to Bound Object both. Makes sense though.

However, now that the volume indicator shows up, it doesn't change when I move any of the volume controls (main and rx volume both). The slider is stuck on 78% no matter what I do. This slider and the little mute button are the only items I'm stuck on.

Attachments

• rxMainVol.JPG
    rxMainVol.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 23
  • binding.JPG
    binding.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 26
  • volumeSliderStuck.JPG
    volumeSliderStuck.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 17
So I went and my soundcard and played music. The main volume slider still didn't change even with music playing perfectly. But I restarted the services and it fixed the volume slider!

The little mute button kind of works, but still makes the error sound the second time you hit it. Maybe this is normal? I found the events folder finally and there wasn't anything in there. I also get a similar error sound when I click the little play button found in the current options pane when I'm in the mediazone. I appears the small play button is also buggy.

Attachments

• little_play_button.JPG
    little_play_button.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 17
Back