problem with rs485 communication with rcs tr16 through m1xsp

DeLicious

So, some weird stuff happened to me over the past week. The plenum on one of my air conditioners fell off the main unit (I don't know why), and pulled some of the wiring that was strung underneath it so that some wires got pulled out of the TR16 central box. It resulted in my ElkRM showing all 0's for temperature, heat point, and set point for all my thermostats, because one of the communications wires was pulled. If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have known about the problem with the AC.

Well, yesterday, I had the AC fixed (re-attached) and plugged all the communication wires back into the TR16 unit as it was before, and now I'm getting values in ElkRM for heat and cool setpoint, but my temperature still reads 0. However, modifying the cooling setpoint seems to no have no effect on the thermostat.

Is it possible something was messed up on the TR16 unit itself so that it no longer communicates, or is it probably just something wrong with the wire itself?

not that anyone seems interested :pray:, but I contacted RCS tech support and they said it's possible that when the wires got ripped out that it could have "hosed" (apparently, their Canadian?) either the Elk RS485 output (I assume on the XSP) or the TR16 RS485, or both.

They suggested I follow the Serial Communications Test from the manual (found on page 18 at http://www.resconsys.com/docs/thermostats/...1-00930-09.pdf) to see if the thermostats are communicating correctly.

DeLicious -

I have had the same problem in the past. I smoked the RCS RS-485 chip in the RCS controller. It is easy to replace. I just removed an extra that my HUB was not using. If you find a good source for these, let me know. I need to replace the one that I took from my HUB.

Steve

I think I smoked both of my TR40 tstat's RS485 chips. Can I really just replace the IC? Any help with identifying and sourcing the actual chip would be appreciated.

Back