3 replies to this topic

#1 Grayson Peddie

Grayson Peddie

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

Since I'm planning to migrate away from Insteon and into Z-Wave, are there any push-button signalers that allow guests to signal upon visiting my apartment? What I mean is, when a guest pushes a button next to a door, I can have lights flash about 5 times in under 3 seconds, as an example. I do have a $15 wireless doorbell interfaced with Elk M1 Gold, which is monitored by voltage, but when it comes to setting up rules, I cannot specify milliseconds and have a little bit of control over how the lights will perform, so I think it'll be better if a doorbell can communicate with Z-Wave lighting devices (or a USB-to-Z-Wave controller) directly instead of through Elk. Having a Z-Wave-capable doorbell can reduce false positive and reduce the need to calibrate the max-min voltage set points since I don't know what kind of relay I'll need to convert the voltages to a set point where the contact can be closed or opened.

So, is there a wireless doorbell that communicates with Z-Wave?

#2 Rupp

Rupp

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:HomeSeer
  • Hardware:Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, 1-Wire
  • Audio:Squeezebox
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, ip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

The Hawking Door and Window sensor should work. Wire this in parallel with the door bell button and the contact closure will send a Z-Wave signal.
http://store.homesee...ng-P563C57.aspx

#3 Grayson Peddie

Grayson Peddie

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

I live in an apartment that doesn't have a doorbell built-in.

This is the wireless doorbell that I currently use with Elk (I unhooked the speaker and connect it to the zone terminals for monitoring of analog voltage).

#4 Grayson Peddie

Grayson Peddie

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

I thought of an idea by myself and it can be a bit unusual IMO, so one question that I'd like to ask is has anybody used a keychain as a doorbell, such as Wireless Key Chain Remote Control?

My idea is this: Since there's a big button in the remote, when the button is triggered, it can sound "your visitor has arrived" and flash the lights as mentioned above in my first post. The other two buttons below the main button can act as subsequent reminder that a visitor is at the front door waiting for me.

Has anyone done this?

Edited by Grayson Peddie, 24 July 2009 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users