Mrspeed's Home Automation Project

MrSpeed

House was built in 1990, there is currently no smart wires on the house. I purchased and plan on installing the following;

1- HAI OmniPro II

2- CQC

3- Planning on running 5 or 6 cat6 cables to each room

4- Planning on running 2 RG6 cables to each room

5- On the living room I will run enough 12 gauge speaker cable for 5.1 surround

"Note to self, that is allot of cable for living room, how in the heck am I going to get a box to fit them all"

6- I will install motion detectors and Temperature sensors in all the main areas to include bedrooms.

7- Do have currently have dvr with 7 cameras installed will probably some how tie that into my automation.

8- Install the Monoprice speakers to 10 zones "did not receive them yet"

I have not decided yet on the whole house audio system. Still considering Nuvo and russound

I have not decided what video matrix I will purchase, I need one for a total of 8 tv's I think component will be fine, HDMI would be cool but depends on the price difference.

I will post pictures as I go!

As promised pictures, most of the stuff to be installed! Is there a way to upload multiple pics? It is only allowing me to do one at time.

Attachments

• IMG_0215b.jpg
    IMG_0215b.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 207
Laundry closet will be copnverted to house all the automation equipment and cables.

Attachments

• IMG_0216a.jpg
    IMG_0216a.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 152
My first drop, 5 cat 6, two rg6 and Eight 12-Gauge audio cables.

Attachments

• IMG_0220a.jpg
    IMG_0220a.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 153
Things are moving along, I made a big mistake with my cat 6 cable. I ran stranded instead of solid, I should be getting the solid today or tomorrow and replace the cat6 that I ran. Included are some pics of my progress, please excuse the mess as we are still under construction :eek: Also this is my first wiring job so I am sure it will not look professional. My HAI panel is wired in and fully operational!

Attachments

• IMG_0328a.jpg
    IMG_0328a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 215
Picture of where my media devices will be mounted. It is not the ideal rack, but unfortunately due to the limited space in the closet and the fact that there is still a sink in it, I had to improvise. I would have liked to install a nice rack that mounts on the wall such as this one;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-020-_-Product

But that particular unit does not have enough space for Two Satellite receivers, One surround sound denon, one blu ray, 2 xbox 360, WII and probably a Nuvo and a matrix switcher. So for now this rack will have to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0329a.jpg
    IMG_0329a.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 129
Wow, Speed, you are FLYING, strong work!

For additional low voltage drops, it will probably be easier for you to use a low-voltage old work ring, rather than a high voltage junction box. I'm guessing you used that blue box because of the need for 4 gang - I think you can use 2 double gang rangs next to each other. Or, you could cut the back off the blue junction box (with your Dremel - I have the same gray case :eek:). A little easier to manage the cable slack ('service loops') with an open back.

Wow, Speed, you are FLYING, strong work!

For additional low voltage drops, it will probably be easier for you to use a low-voltage old work ring, rather than a high voltage junction box. I'm guessing you used that blue box because of the need for 4 gang - I think you can use 2 double gang rangs next to each other. Or, you could cut the back off the blue junction box (with your Dremel - I have the same gray case :)). A little easier to manage the cable slack ('service loops') with an open back.
Thanks for the advice and compliment, I used that box because I needed at least three gangs for the surround sound plus all the other cables. I got my new cable today. SO I will probably be pulling out stuff today and tomorrow and replacing it. Hoping to start using my rack next week!!! I still have to put a server together for cqc and the media. Will probably order that today!

What a task, finished re-wiring the house. Removed the cat6 stranded and replaced with cat6 solid core. Installed the patch panel, will post some pictures in the next day or two after I reconnect the cables to patch panel. Things are looking good! I was able to watch some movies on two of my Samsungs from the mybookworld to the tv's using the DNLA!!!! Also added some 15A HAI switches to control the fans.

So to add the HAI switches are you just cutting out hole in the sheetrock to fit the switch and screwing them into the sheetrock on top and bottom? Or are you going to install a cut-in box?

So to add the HAI switches are you just cutting out hole in the sheetrock to fit the switch and screwing them into the sheetrock on top and bottom? Or are you going to install a cut-in box?

I am using the existing boxes for the switches, I did add boxes for all my cat6 lines, i will post some pics later of the end result.

Thjings are moving along, excuse the mess, I did not clean the wire etc yet ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0347a.jpg
    IMG_0347a.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 212
Back