Best way to add alarm contacts to casement windows?

benze

Hi,

I'm replacing my sliding windows with new casement windows, and would like to add alarm contacts to them. I realize that casement windows, when closed and locked, are pretty much break-in resistant. However, I like having contacts on all windows as it at least keeps me notified if the windows are closed in the first place without the need to run around the house checking every window.

My question now is what is the best method of installing contacts in casement windows? I've tried searching the net for information, but can't seem to find anything about it.

Can anyone share some experiences as to how you added contacts to your casement windows? Any links and/or pictures would be really helpful and useful as well.

Thanks for any tips!

Eric

Here is a picture that might help understand what I did. I couldn't find a picture when I had the trim removed. The trim that covers the linkage could easily be pulled off by hand, I had to pull harder than I thought but once the contractor showed me how hard I could pull I wasn't so worried. I glued the magnet down with a dab of gorilla glue. It wasn't needed since the linkage is metal. I did it because I have small kids.

When closed you cannot see the magnets. When opened you cannot see anything from in the inside. If you go outside you need to look VERY closely to see what is going on. It's been working well for 2.5 years.

One of the secrets is the K&J magnetics 1/2 dia x 1/32 thickness rare earth magnets, I bought 50 for 15 bucks a couple of years ago. These rare earth magnets can be used to replace the GRI regular magnets that require a 3/4 inch hole to be drilled. The 'range' is about .8 the range of the stock gri magnet and with two of the magnets stacked up it is slightly better than the stock GRI. I used these for every door and every window and only needed to stack two up once and that was because my sensor and magnet were not aligned weill.

Good luck

Wow - I would never have thought to use the linkage as a magnet point. I like the idea, however. No damage to the frame of the window, and maintains warranties and everything. Thanks for the pics. How difficult was it to calculate the alignment for the linkage and the contact, or was it fairly easy once the casing was removed?

One of the secrets is the K&J magnetics 1/2 dia x 1/32 thickness rare earth magnets, I bought 50 for 15 bucks a couple of years ago.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what are, and is so special, about rare earth magnets? Wouldn't you just be able to strip out the magnet from the GRI plastic casing?

Thanks!

Eric

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what are, and is so special, about rare earth magnets? Wouldn't you just be able to strip out the magnet from the GRI plastic casing?

Thanks!

Eric

The magnet inside the plastic case is really that big. The "rare earth" magnets are stronger and therefore can be much smaller with the same effect.

The magnet inside the plastic case is really that big. The "rare earth" magnets are stronger and therefore can be much smaller with the same effect.

Aha. Thanks for the clarification. Any suggestions where to find rare earth magnets in a local market? Does the standard hardware store (ie: Home Depots of the world) carry these things? Or does one have to go shopping in specialty shops? A quick search online shows me Lee Valley carries them which makes me think of hardware stores, but I can't say that I've ever seen them in places like that. Similarly, I don't ever recall seeing them in catalogs for Tried or ADI...

Thanks,

Eric

I have not seen them in Home Depot, etc. but some hardware stores may carry them. George Risk Industries has a selection of them.

http://www.grisk.com/accessories/rare_earth_magnets.htm

I don't think they sell direct, but anyone like Tri-ed, ADi or many online places sell GRI stuff.

I keep a selection on hand as the rare earth magnets seem to work better in certain circumstances.

Thanks for the picture hucker, casements are a pain and I have never seen them done that way.

Back