Will ELK produce a Honeywell IAQ interface?

benze

Hi,

After hours of searching the web, I have found two modules that connect to a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat that seem promising in terms of communicating with the M1G. One is an RS232 module (W8735A1005), the other is a web/ethernet converter (EnergyICM).

Links are as follows:
RS232: http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/...00s/68-3063.pdf
EnergyICM: http://www.in2networks.com/PDFs/PDF2.pdf

My big question now is if there is any interest at Elk to produce drivers to communicate with the IAQ via either module, or if that would be something that the community would have to do on its own? If the latter, how difficult is it to program something like that?

I have received the RS232 API from Honeywell for the W8735A module, in which they sent a bunch of 'C' code, which I would guess would have to be rewritten into something the M1G could understand.

I'm not sure what kind of communication one can do with the EnergyICM, but if it has a web interface, I wonder if the M1G could communicate to it via the M1XEP module?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

This thermostat would be awesome. It has humidifier, dehumidifier, and fresh air exchanger control capabilities. I haven't been able to find any other thermostat that had all 3 of these functions. I found it online for $159 also, that is cheap for what it does.

This thermostat would be awesome. It has humidifier, dehumidifier, and fresh air exchanger control capabilities. I haven't been able to find any other thermostat that had all 3 of these functions. I found it online for $159 also, that is cheap for what it does.

Precisely why I would love to see the M1G support it via its RS232 comm protocol. It took me a while to find the Honeywell RS232 device that would communicate with it, so now it is just a question of whether or not someone can/is willing to write a driver so that the M1G can talk with it.

I'd love to help out, but wouldn't know where to start. And given that I have neither the stat or the module yet, to buy them to do R&D and then find out that I can't make them work together would be an expensive lesson in frustration.

Hence the reason I am hoping someone else might have more experience in this arena.

Eric

I have these thermostats for my 4-zone system in my home. I also have the Enviracom RS232 module, though it's not hooked up. Would love for Elk or Homeseer to support these. They are very capable stats.

Kevin

I have these thermostats for my 4-zone system in my home. I also have the Enviracom RS232 module, though it's not hooked up. Would love for Elk or Homeseer to support these. They are very capable stats.

Dare I ask why you have the Enviracom module? Did you buy it with the intention of getting something to talk to it and found out it wasn't supported?

I'm so tempted to get the IAQ with RS232 module, but at roughly 200$ + 100$ for each respectively, it's becoming an expensive gamble to see if I can get something to work.

Eric

Dare I ask why you have the Enviracom module? Did you buy it with the intention of getting something to talk to it and found out it wasn't supported?

I'm so tempted to get the IAQ with RS232 module, but at roughly 200$ + 100$ for each respectively, it's becoming an expensive gamble to see if I can get something to work.

Eric
Hi, Eric.

When I designed my home (built in 2007) I spec'd Trane AC units. I have one unit for upstairs suite and one unit for downstairs. Downstairs is divided into 3 zones using the Honeywell Envirazone zoning system. I chose the IAQ states (4 total) and the Enviracom serial adapter because I planned on installing automation. I hadn't chosen the automation at the time I chose HVAC, so I didn't know who supported these stats. I now have the Elk and Homeseer, and the Enviracom sits in the box until I can do more investigation on how to get it integrated. Hopefully this thread will reveal some answers.

Kevin

Hi,

After hours of searching the web, I have found two modules that connect to a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat that seem promising in terms of communicating with the M1G. One is an RS232 module (W8735A1005), the other is a web/ethernet converter (EnergyICM).

Links are as follows:
RS232: http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/...00s/68-3063.pdf
EnergyICM: http://www.in2networks.com/PDFs/PDF2.pdf

My big question now is if there is any interest at Elk to produce drivers to communicate with the IAQ via either module, or if that would be something that the community would have to do on its own? If the latter, how difficult is it to program something like that?

I have received the RS232 API from Honeywell for the W8735A module, in which they sent a bunch of 'C' code, which I would guess would have to be rewritten into something the M1G could understand.

I'm not sure what kind of communication one can do with the EnergyICM, but if it has a web interface, I wonder if the M1G could communicate to it via the M1XEP module?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric
I have an IAQ Thermostat for my house, and picked up a W8735 to play with. It has limited functionality with Premise.
I asked Honeywell for the commands, but they didn't pass them on to me.

Cheers,
Rob

Eric, I sent you a PM

I have an IAQ Thermostat for my house, and picked up a W8735 to play with. It has limited functionality with Premise.
I asked Honeywell for the commands, but they didn't pass them on to me.

Holy cow. Dealing with Honeywell is a lesson is frustration and futility.

After spending 50mins on the phone with them, pointing out that they refer to an EnviroCOM Application Layer Spec doc on the specs for the W8735, but don't provide links to it anywhere, I'm no further ahead. I finally had a supervisor agree to talk with the product development team to see if they can provide that information, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Talk about frustrating. I can't believe that Honeywell is a leader in some of these products when they cause this much grief trying to get any info out of them. They keep referring to their partner In2Networks.com who have already built a unit to integrate to the EnviraCOM bus, but their unit costs 2-3 times the price of the W8375.

I'm really getting frustrated here. I would have to think and/or believe that a company like ELK would have much better luck trying to get the necessary info to build the necessary integration drivers.

Has anyone had luck contacting ELK to see why they don't support any of Honeywell's devices?

Thanks,

Eric

In hopes to find the guy that built the EnviraCOM system, i am posting up the serial commands that i have been passed thus far. this has been reversed engineered from their API system that a PHD programmer passed along to me that was in the same boat we all are in, other than he had the IQ to do something about it, even if it meant partially. not too bad huh?

if someone PM's me, i will email it to you, i just dont see a way to upload a file on this forum (and trust me, i been searching like a mad man for documents, i just dont think they exist other than inside of Honeywell, even if that). So i am seeing if we can start a "fund" to help these programmer guys that have helped thus far get us these commands. ya know? i figure if we all work togehter, we should be able to make it work. I am using a Control4 system with my Zone System and it be nice to be able to control the HVAC with the adapter, i just need to get the rest of the commands to do the scheduling, although at least the list i have thus far will allow some normal operation. :lol:

pm me or email at thejoeloomis at gmail

and i'll fire what i have thus far collected between the Wizard of the commands.

joe

Hit "Add reply" instead of "fast reply" on the thread, there is an attachments box right below where you type in your post. 100K limit though. :lol:

if someone PM's me, i will email it to you, i just dont see a way to upload a file on this forum (and trust me, i been searching like a mad man for documents, i just dont think they exist other than inside of Honeywell, even if that). So i am seeing if we can start a "fund" to help these programmer guys that have helped thus far get us these commands. ya know? i figure if we all work togehter, we should be able to make it work. I am using a Control4 system with my Zone System and it be nice to be able to control the HVAC with the adapter, i just need to get the rest of the commands to do the scheduling, although at least the list i have thus far will allow some normal operation. :lol:

I tried to PM, but it was rejected; apparently you are configured to not receive messages. You can also upload the file in the downloads forum. I already uploaded the API there under protocols.
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...s&showcat=3

Thanks,

Eric

ok i am adding the file to the downloads forum. i still dont see a upload option if i still click add reply either. fixed the pm issue as well.

Ok - so after hours of frustrating arguments with Honeywell, I have finally managed to shake a little bit out of Honeywell with regards to an available command set to query/set the thermostat.

I am sure that this is not the complete set (apparently the HAI Omnistat has over 200 possible commands), but it is at least a basic start. I have uploaded the file to the the protocols section of download files:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...mp;showfile=145

I'm also attaching it here for completeness.

Does anyone have a W8735A1005 that they can test these commands out on and see if they really work?

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments

• Enviracom_Messages.doc
    29 KB · Views: 81
Ok - so after hours of frustrating arguments with Honeywell, I have finally managed to shake a little bit out of Honeywell with regards to an available command set to query/set the thermostat.

I am sure that this is not the complete set (apparently the HAI Omnistat has over 200 possible commands), but it is at least a basic start. I have uploaded the file to the the protocols section of download files:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...mp;showfile=145

I'm also attaching it here for completeness.

Does anyone have a W8735A1005 that they can test these commands out on and see if they really work?

Thanks,

Eric

i have the same zone system. attached is more commands that i was able to locate. i have yet to test any of this

Attachments

• enviracom_message_format.zip
    34.1 KB · Views: 185
Back