Movie Ripping and Playback

Stonehead

I am starting to convert my collection of movies from physical DVD & Blue Ray to being stored on a NAS so they can be accessed from anywhere in the house. So what I am looking for are some suggestions on software to use for ripping DVD/Blue Ray movies(formate doesn't really matter at this point but suggestions on best format file size not being an issue for quality would be nice) and then also a program that will act as a library style interface for tracking and launching the movies once they have been ripped.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

I use DVD Fab for ripping all of my movies. It's fast, easy to use, and pretty cheap. It also comes with the option to convert movies to portable formats, so I put movies on my iPhone. When I rip movies to my NAS, I rip them to their native format, with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. It takes a lot of space, but I get the original quality.

As for playback, I use a SageTV server with Sage HD200 extenders at each TV. Multiple users can be watching multiple movies at the same time, all in original DVD quality. I would highly suggest SageTV (www.sagetv.com) for the library. In addition to movies, they have plugins for PlayOn, so you can stream high quality content from the Internet, including your Netflix instant queue. You could also use it as a full fleged DVR, however, I have not used it for that purpose.

I haven't messed around with BlueRay yet, so I do not have any input there. I know Sage supports BlueRay, and plenty use it for playing back BlueRay movies. I do not know if DVD Fab supports Blue Ray, however.

I use DVD Fab for ripping all of my movies. It's fast, easy to use, and pretty cheap. It also comes with the option to convert movies to portable formats, so I put movies on my iPhone. When I rip movies to my NAS, I rip them to their native format, with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. It takes a lot of space, but I get the original quality.

As for playback, I use a SageTV server with Sage HD200 extenders at each TV. Multiple users can be watching multiple movies at the same time, all in original DVD quality. I would highly suggest SageTV (www.sagetv.com) for the library. In addition to movies, they have plugins for PlayOn, so you can stream high quality content from the Internet, including your Netflix instant queue. You could also use it as a full fleged DVR, however, I have not used it for that purpose.

I haven't messed around with BlueRay yet, so I do not have any input there. I know Sage supports BlueRay, and plenty use it for playing back BlueRay movies. I do not know if DVD Fab supports Blue Ray, however.

I second the recommendation for DVDFab. I have a similar setup and use Windows 7 Media Center to playback my DVD collection ripped with DVDFab and stored on a 3 terabyte capacity FreeNAS system. DVDFab does support Blue Ray rips.

MyMovies with AnyDVD. I just put the dvd/blu-ray in the drive it does its thing and spits it back out then put the next one in, can't get any easier. I also use SageTV with extenders for play back. They work fine with blu-ray.

I second AnyDVD. I have used AnyDVD for a number of years now and had great success. AnyDVD is essentially the decryption software that allows you to manipulate the DVD files (copy, rip, etc.) and it does support BluRay. You would however need another piece of software for the actual ripping/burning. I use their CloneDVD program for doing this.

I second AnyDVD. I have used AnyDVD for a number of years now and had great success. AnyDVD is essentially the decryption software that allows you to manipulate the DVD files (copy, rip, etc.) and it does support BluRay. You would however need another piece of software for the actual ripping/burning. I use their CloneDVD program for doing this.

DVD Fab does the decryption during the rip process, and can then burn onto DVD. You can automate it completely, and it is very simple to use. Never used AnyDVD, so I can't fairly compare the two. Just pointing out the DVD Fab does just about everything.

The nice thing about MyMovies is it downloads the coverart, fanart, and metadata for the movies and can be used with SageTV, Media Center and a few other programs as well.

DVD Fab does the decryption during the rip process, and can then burn onto DVD. You can automate it completely, and it is very simple to use. Never used AnyDVD, so I can't fairly compare the two. Just pointing out the DVD Fab does just about everything.

Just curious, does DVD Fab support decryption and ripping of Blu-Ray movies as well?

As far as I know, AnyDVD HD is the only app which seems to do BR ripping really well, so I would look at that application (I use it for DVDs).

I use DVD Shrink to Rip DVD's to their native format. Works well...out of about 60DVD's i've found one where it had an issue with the encryption (or i may have been a bad disc or something).

For those that rip and play Bluray on their PC's what audio formats can you play and how (TrueHD, Master Audio DTS, DD5.1 and DTS). I have a friend that just put a HTPC together with a Blurray drive and so far all he has gotten to work is 2 channel stereo.

I compress the DVD's to DiVx with 5.1 sound. Looks and sounds good. I take the BR's and MKV them and try to keep the original soundtrack whatever that may be. The typical size of the DiVx files are around 1.4 Gb and the MKV's are between 4.8-9 or so Gb.

I had to play with the sound a bit on W7. I am using the optical output and getting surround sound.

Back