Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt with Z-wave availability

project_x

Hi there,
Are there any Control4 dealers here, that have the inside scoop on pricing and availability of the new Kwikset Z-wave deadbolts?

Thanks,
Rob

At this ponit, I beleive the Control4 dealers only have access to the Control4 ZigBee version. I will see if I can get an updated date for everyone on the Z-Wave versions.

Z-Wave version ETA as of today is the first week in May. My understanding is that only Control4 dealers have access to the ZigBee version right now.

Rupp,

The Kwikset version uses a motor to extend and retract the bolt. It is also tapered to help with doors that do not close all the way without being forced.

Sacarino,

No MSRP as of yet, I will look into it.

... tapered to help with doors that do not close all the way without being forced. ...

I modified a Weiser Powerbolt (Kwikset Powerbolt in the US) so that my ELK M1 can lock/unlock it. If the z-wave lock is anything like the Powerbolt (i.e. its motorized deadbolt mechanism) then the door alignment must be spot on. In my case, the deadbolt is not aligned dead-center in the door jamb. When you activate it manually, you can feel a slight resistance as the deadbolt slides against the strike plate. If the door is moved an additional 1/16" then the resistance disappears and the deadbolt slides freely ... so the misalignment is very slight.

None of this matters when the batteries are fresh and the ambient temperature is mild. However, in the dead of winter, the steel door is cold and so are the batteries. In addition, the door frame's weatherstripping is stiffer and isn't compressed by the door as compared to when it is warner. This results in a slightly greater misalignment of the deadbolt ( and greater resistance against the strike plate).

Has all of this prevented the deadbolt from locking the door? No. In my case, even under the worst conditions, the deadbolt always extends sufficiently to lock the door. However, in cold weather, it extends far less than in warm weather, sometimes about half the distance. This behaviour causes a problem because the deadbolt fails to activate a microswitch I've installed in the door frame. This microswitch is connected to my ELK M1 and indicates if the door is locked/unlocked.

If you don't use a 'lock sensor' then a slightly mislaigned door will probably have no adverse affect. Plus the new tapered design of the deadbolt will probably mitigate mild cases of door-misalignment.

It isn't easy to correct a misaligned door (short of rehanging the entire door frame). I found a relatively simple solution to correct the slight misalignment of my door. What holds a closed door in place is not the deadbolt but the latch. The key is to adjust the striker plate so that the latch holds the door in the optimal position and allows the deadbolt to move freely. In my case, I added a shim to the striker plate ... and, just for good measure, I filed the inner face of the deadbolt to create a very slight taper.

So if you use experience locking problems with the z-wave lock and a misaligned door, try adjusting the door's latching position.

Hi there,
Are there any Control4 dealers here, that have the inside scoop on pricing and availability of the new Kwikset Z-wave deadbolts?

Thanks,
Rob

So how can I integrate it with my omni pro 2? ( without using micasa verde and hai touchscreen)

At this time, that is the only way. Once Sigma/Zensys finalizes v4.5, the Leviton serial interface will be updated and you will be able to use the VRC0P-1LW to control the Z-Wave locks with an HAI.

These should be up on both the ASIHome and the Worthington sites later today for Pre-Order. According to my last conversation with them, they have stock and certification and are just awaiting packaging. They expected to start shipping them on 5/28 and we should see them by approximately 6/9.

Update:

Use the following codes for more than one set of locks:

4 Locks (2 1/2 Off = 1 Free) - KSBOGO2
6 Locks (3 1/2 Off = 1 Free) - KSBOGO3
8 Locks (4 1/2 Off = 2 Free) - KSBOGO4

Thank you,

Back