Nuvo Music Port MPS4

AceCannon

Seems to overall be a great device. I installed this to replace a T2 tuner damaged by lightning.

Thoughts:
Pandora works very well with this thing. The Flash-based Windows app runs fine in Firefox.

Local channels via Radiotime also work well.

The browser-based configuration of the MPS4 is easy, intuitive.

The connections are interesting. CQC data flows first to an rs232 port on the MPS4, then out another db9 connector to the Grand Concerto. This so the MPS4 can command the whole system via the Flash app on a web browser. I'm not sure why this isn't done via IP. But it works well.

CTP36 color screen: I am underwhelmed. Maybe easier access to some functionality. Won't fit in 2-gang box. Surprisingly, the wife likes the thing, the menus, interface, the album art. It is more like a smartphone interface than the GC's OLED keypads with their buttons below the screen. She is mostly concerned with the apparent lack of an almond freaking trim plate. Decision is on hold whether to rip out a 2-gang box and install the CTP36 or not.

Seems to overall be a great device. I installed this to replace a T2 tuner damaged by lightning.

Thoughts:
Pandora works very well with this thing. The Flash-based Windows app runs fine in Firefox.

Local channels via Radiotime also work well.

The browser-based configuration of the MPS4 is easy, intuitive.

The connections are interesting. CQC data flows first to an rs232 port on the MPS4, then out another db9 connector to the Grand Concerto. This so the MPS4 can command the whole system via the Flash app on a web browser. I'm not sure why this isn't done via IP. But it works well.

CTP36 color screen: I am underwhelmed. Maybe easier access to some functionality. Won't fit in 2-gang box. Surprisingly, the wife likes the thing, the menus, interface, the album art. It is more like a smartphone interface than the GC's OLED keypads with their buttons below the screen. She is mostly concerned with the apparent lack of an almond freaking trim plate. Decision is on hold whether to rip out a 2-gang box and install the CTP36 or not.

We have been enjoying our MPS4 as well. It has mostly worked without issue. Although, we did have one issue where the MPS4 would hang if the router went down. However, I have worked with NuVo support and they believe they have identified the issue and it should be fixed in the next firmware update. Once things get a bit more settled I am going to try and see if I can somehow integrate a squeezebox with the NuVo system to get some additional music sources.

That sounds great, Ace. I'm installing my MPS4 some time in the next week, when I find time.

Figure out how to paint the trim piece. Sandpaper first? Call Nuvo to complain, squeaky wheel...

Broconne, what additional music sources?

That sounds great, Ace. I'm installing my MPS4 some time in the next week, when I find time.

Figure out how to paint the trim piece. Sandpaper first? Call Nuvo to complain, squeaky wheel...

The wife would really like access to Slacker Radio and Rhapsody.

The way that they run it from CQC via serial to the MSP4 and then to the GC is because that is the way the Music Port worked and thats the way i have my music port working...and i guess they didn't venture of the beaten path too far. BUt i agree..if the darn thing has an IP port then that should work. I would be willing to bet there is a way to make it work via IP. If we consider that the MSP4 is the equivalent of my HA server running autonomic MCS with an 'internal' cable to the Music Port (all in the same box).. then the equivalent on my method of CQC control would be to connect to my HA server from CQC via an IP port. In fact try using the CQC IP based GC driver a shot and target the servers IP with port 5006 and see what happens. If they truly just slapped the 2 together then maybe that will work.

Is there another way to access what sounds like a PC in the MSP4? Some sort of RDP.. if you could install some other apps on it...lol..i guess that would make it unstable like the MP again.

So is everybody happy with the way it synchs and all that? I need it to work in such a way that if the wife downloads a new song i itunes on the kitchen PC (which use a library which is on a share on my HA server) the song will show up in the MSP4 library/GUI/keypad without additional action.

Is there a separate CQC driver for this unit or are you guys using the normal GC driver? Are you able to get METADATA into CQC (i.e. Now PLaying)?

The wife would really like access to Slacker Radio and Rhapsody.
Ah, yes. Ask Nuvo TS if they're working on Rhapsody or not.

Using the Logitech Squeezebox, or other player, sounds like a good solution. Locate it in her favorite spot (e.g. family room), and she'd have metadata and control there. Run the stereo output of the player to a Nuvo input, and select that source when she wants to use the player. Sounds pretty easy, and relatively inexpensive.

So is everybody happy with the way it synchs and all that? I need it to work in such a way that if the wife downloads a new song i itunes on the kitchen PC (which use a library which is on a share on my HA server) the song will show up in the MSP4 library/GUI/keypad without additional action.

Is there a separate CQC driver for this unit or are you guys using the normal GC driver? Are you able to get METADATA into CQC (i.e. Now PLaying)?

Yes, it will work with your kitchen PC. You load a small process in each machine you want to suck songs from and it watches either a folder or watches the iTunes installation directly. Anything new it automagically copies to the MPS4. To install this service, you just point the machine's browser at the MPS4 and there is an option to install the thing. Very easy, intuitive, IMHO.

I am using the same GC driver I was using before. I stopped the CQC service briefly so I could use the Nuvo Configurator to rename the sources. I have not yet tried to get metadata into CQC, although I would think it work seamlessly since all the GC keypads display the data fine.

I am using the same GC driver I was using before. I stopped the CQC service briefly so I could use the Nuvo Configurator to rename the sources. I have not yet tried to get metadata into CQC, although I would think it work seamlessly since all the GC keypads display the data fine.

Unless I am doing something wrong i havent been able to get any Meta Data that is displayed on the keypads into CQC. Supposedly the main unit send it as an unsolicited message (User Action Event) in CQC but i can't find it. I'm not sure if the GC driver is supporting this.

Unless I am doing something wrong i havent been able to get any Meta Data that is displayed on the keypads into CQC. Supposedly the main unit send it as an unsolicited message (User Action Event) in CQC but i can't find it. I'm not sure if the GC driver is supporting this.

Were you able to do it before the MPS4? I believe IVB was getting Nuvo metadata into CQC with his setup.

At any rate, I suspect that the metadata issue will be the same with or without the MPS4. I could be wrong. . .

Very good idea to paint the trim piece. Will match the wall even better than the almond.

And I agree Nuvo deserves a call first.

The the META DATA i think IVB was using the SqueezeBox or whatever he was using as a source for the meta data..i don't remember 100%, but i don't think he had any actual Nuvo sources.

Got the details ironed out today, and I'd like to add that RadioTime rocks. My 2 favorite internet radio stations are there, plus my fav local FM station (and many other local stations I haven't tried).

Confirmed - no dedicated FM tuner needed, for my location.

Got the details ironed out today, and I'd like to add that RadioTime rocks. My 2 favorite internet radio stations are there, plus my fav local FM station (and many other local stations I haven't tried).

Confirmed - no dedicated FM tuner needed, for my location.

We were listening to our local NPR channel and flipped back and forth between FM and Radiotime. Definitely not as good quality with the Radiotime version, but I am almost positive it has to do with the bitrate. So as long as they stream your locals with adequate bandwidth, I agree FM not needed. The difference has not been important enough for us to care. We could hear the difference when an audience applauded - it was all crinkly and "pixelated" if you can use that term to describe audio. I haven't done this test with local music stations since they aren't worth a damn.

Our FM tuner is now disconnected.

Another data point:

I downloaded a couple tracks from Amazon MP3 last night via the web browser on my den PC. I immediately walked over to a Nuvo keypad and they were already in the MPS4, ready to be played. Seems to work quite well.

Don't know how I missed this, but I saw a print ad for the new Nuvo 'Music Port Elite'.

Found the press release from CEPro

http://www.cepro.com/best/details/music_port_elite/

I can't seem to figure out the benefit over the MPS4. Spec sheet not yet available. Expected shipping 4th Quarter.

Remote access to a home library seem to be a feature. Direct video output, for metadata, is also mentioned.

Wish list for the MPS4 FW update includes FLAC, gapless playback, and external HD capability.

Back