Elk M1 Humidity sensor

n4hc

I have developed a prototype for this and it has been working for over a year without a hitch.
This device works like an Elk Temperature sensor and connects to one of the base zones.

I am looking to see if there is an interest for this type of product. Since I haven't produced a stand-alone design I don't have exact cost but estimate it to be around the same cost as an existing Elk M1 temperature sensor. Maybe a little more. Depending on volume or if it is a kit or assembled unit.

It reports humidity back to the panel as a number from 1-100 and appears as temperature to the panel.

It also would not cost much more to add temperature to the same sensor but it would take 2 zones on the M1.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

I think A LOT of people would be interested in a combined Humidity/Temp sensor, ESPECIALLY is you can package it in something more attractive than the current Elk temperature sensor.

I know I would likely buy one or two.

I agree there probably will be a lot of interest. I could probably use one in basement, one in the master bath, maybe one in main part of house.

also depending on cost I would be interested.... talk to elk, maybe they would take on the item, or add firmware to support it

Definitely interested in hearing about pricing. I'm sure that there would be a huge demand for these. Knowing the temperature without humidity is practically useless when when regulating climate since the humidity affects the "feels like" temperature (ie. Humidex) so much.
Please keep us posted!

also depending on cost I would be interested.... talk to elk, maybe they would take on the item, or add firmware to support it

No firmware support needed. It looks like and connects to the system exactly like an Elk temperature sensor.

Don't know about making it flush mount. There is the same amount of support circuitry as the temperature sensor. The package for that would be at least the same size. Perhaps something that fits in a Decora plate?

It's hard finding a nice looking wall mount enclosure for this since it needs to have good airflow. I want to be sure I read room air temperature and humidity and not what's inside the wall.

I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks,
Joe

Way more than humidity. . .

You have necessarily hacked the Manchester coding back-end needed for Elk attachment, which means that -- in principle, with appropriate devices in the front end -- you can also measure voltage, barometric pressure, frequency, wind speed, etc., etc., etc.

No?

BTW are you using the HIH-4000?

BTW2: Is N4HC a chemical formula or a call sign?

Way more than humidity. . .

You have necessarily hacked the Manchester coding back-end needed for Elk attachment, which means that -- in principle, with appropriate devices in the front end -- you can also measure voltage, barometric pressure, frequency, wind speed, etc., etc., etc.

No?

BTW are you using the HIH-4000?

BTW2: Is N4HC a chemical formula or a call sign?

Call sign. Ham radio. (not a valid chemical formula)

Yes, I've reverse engineered the protocol and I have thought about using this for anything else that can be represented in a "normal" temperature range as seen by the Elk. Your rules would still use "temperature" but you would know that it's "humidity" or "% open" or "pressure" or "light level" etc....

Only problem (if there is one) is that you must use these devices on main zones 1-16.

I've even thought about going wireless and sending data to a receiver that mounts next to the panel. So imagine some type of mesh network devices that talk back to a receiver with many channels that input into the M1. But first things first.....

Joe

Hi Joe,

Well done! I agree with the comments above.

I would be up for a few. Don't see a problem connecting to the M1 1-16 however that is a personal call based on my install, others might be different.

Off course it would need Elk support for it to work at any rule based level.

Humidity has been a discussed topic for years for the M1.

Spanky where R U? :nutz:

Regards,

Fleetz

Hi Joe,

Well done! I agree with the comments above.

I would be up for a few. Don't see a problem connecting to the M1 1-16 however that is a personal call based on my install, others might be different.

Off course it would need Elk support for it to work at any rule based level.

Humidity has been a discussed topic for years for the M1.

Spanky where R U? :)

Regards,

Fleetz

Thanks.
M1 zone 1-16 is required since these are the only zones that support temperature sensors. The data is transmitted digitally at a very low bit rate and these are the only zones that can accept the data.

No ELK support is needed for rules since it looks like a temperature sensor to the system but it's actually reporting humidity. You'd just have to make rules that use "temperature" when you really mean "humidity"

Thanks,
Joe

No ELK support is needed for rules since it looks like a temperature sensor to the system but it's actually reporting humidity. You'd just have to make rules that use "temperature" when you really mean "humidity"

Hi Joe,
I can understand that ELK support would not be crucial, but I think that the proper naming conventions would make things a little more easy for programming. If necessary, I'm sure that most of us would be happy to deal with the work-around if it meant having all of these great additional readings.

You really caught my attention when you mentioned a light sensor!

Hi Joe,
I can understand that ELK support would not be crucial, but I think that the proper naming conventions would make things a little more easy for programming. If necessary, I'm sure that most of us would be happy to deal with the work-around if it meant having all of these great additional readings.

You really caught my attention when you mentioned a light sensor!

I definitely agree. Having "humidity" in the rule name would be good.

And for light, that can be done now via any zone (expansion too) programmed as analog. Just need a light dependent resistor and appropriate divider network. Very inexpensive. (few $) Would read back as voltage though. Might be nicer to have as 0-100 %

Back