Power supply for four cameras?`

Ranger Digital

I've install four Speco cams HTD8SCSB http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/dow...ecs/HTD8SCS.pdf

Thus, I need a 2 amp power source. Room is tight in the network can. What about using something like this:

http://www.securitycameraking.com/4-channe...57942-prd1.html

Its a 4 Channel Output Switching Supply and super cheap. My concern is it says SWITCHING, does that mean it doesnt power all four at same time? Hope this works.

If not, what are yall using to power more than one cam? A distribution block? Need to get this ordered today. Thanks for any advice.

Heh. No switching is the method it uses to generate the 12v from the 120v. I use a similar 12v laptop type power supply to power 4 cameras.

A switching power supply uses technology to handle the voltage drop, as opposed to the good ol' magnetic transformer. Switching power supplies are getting very cheap and small nowadays. I see them used often to make small & light wall warts (phone chargers, etc). You should be fine with that.

Thanks Wayne! I will order one today. At only fifteen bucks, doesnt really matter if it doesnt work, lol.

AZ, good to hear. This will likely work for me as well.

What you are looking at will work but I would highley suggest one that has fused termanals on each output so if someone cuts a wire and shorts the + and - it doesn't burn out the power supply, cause a melt down, trip the breaker and take all your cameras and who knows what else off line.

I am not sugesting this place but cop-usa I have gotten them from before for in the area of $40 for a 10 amp but they may have less costly ones.

Thanks Wayne! I will order one today. At only fifteen bucks, doesnt really matter if it doesnt work, lol.

AZ, good to hear. This will likely work for me as well.

Agree 100% PG. This particular job doesnt have room for more than the adapter. However, I will CERTAINLY use your idea in the future. Absolutely.

Thanks!

Agree 100% PG. This particular job doesnt have room for more than the adapter. However, I will CERTAINLY use your idea in the future. Absolutely.

Thanks!

Just mount another can for the power and run the cables into the can you need them in or break out the power. You usally need to in cctv cameras anyhow. It is a messey install.

Thanks!

Just mount another can for the power and run the cables into the can you need them in or break out the power. You usally need to in cctv cameras anyhow. It is a messey install.

Again, agreed. This install just wont allow it. Its working, at least until someone shorts something. lol.

I have dont recall what the pricing was, but I have personally looked into these in the past:

http://www.pthree.com/products.aspx?Category=CCTV

They have various models with different power requirements as well as number of cameras, and all of the outputs are fused. You can also purchase the transformers and circuit boards separately if you dont want the enclosure.

Back