Non-Conventional home automation applications

scmluger1

I am currently in the process of designing a HAI automation system and was wondering what things people might use their automation systems for besides the standard light, temp, audio/video, security, ect.

I am looking for things like control the coffee maker or stuff like that.

Thanks,

Shawn

I am currently in the process of designing a HAI automation system and was wondering what things people might use their automation systems for besides the standard light, temp, audio/video, security, ect.

Thanks,

Shawn
I use HomeSeer to
- start my car each morning when I'm ready to leave.
- mute the TV when the phone rings.
- send me email message containing any messages that are left on the home phone system
- mail me pictures when someone rings the door bell
- etc

- send me email message containing any messages that are left on the home phone system

How do you pull this one off? do you use a software based answering machine?
Using HomeSeer Phone and the Way2Call modem. HomeSeer Phone is a PC based answering maching and one of the many options is to email any messages received to any number of emails. So I have it mail me messages to me and the wife. HSPhone can also mute rings if the calls are from telemarketeers, during certian hours, supress rings for matched numbers, etc. It's a very handy package. Here's more on the package:
http://store.homeseer.com/store/HSPHONE---...Seer-P35C5.aspx

you can get most of this free using google voice. you can have it email you messages, send SMS with poor transcriptions of the messages to your cell, call screening, do not disturb periods, set specific times your forwarding phones will ring, selective greetings based on who's calling, with the voice/video chat gmail plugin you can answer calls from your PC through gmail. i'm even bypassing my cell provider's voicemail and having it go to google voice so my cell messages get emailed to me. but before it does that, it'll ring all my enabled forwarding phones before going to VM which is great when someone calls my cell directly but i'm not nearby to hear it.

How about a direct plumbed espresso machine!!

I use an I/O port to turn it on/off each day. The tricky thing is that the power switch for the machine has numerous functions, so it takes a bit of logic in the HAI system to make it work correctly.
- When machine is off, press and hold for 3 seconds to turn it on.
- When machine is on, press and hold for 3 seconds to put it into programming mode.
- When machine is on, press momentarily to turn it off.

I have an OFF routine which closes the I/O for 1 second and I have an ON routine which closes the I/O for 3 seconds. I always run the OFF, then the ON so that I know the state of the machine (I could wire a feedback line to know this, but it's really not necessary). The machine has different time schedules for weekday and weekend and does not power up when we are not home. I can also use my iPhone app to turn it on remotely if I want the machine to be hot by the time I get home (it needs a 20-30 minute warm up time). It's also nice to be able to just go to an HAI keypad and turn it on from upstairs if I get up early and it isn't on yet or if I sleep in and it has already shut itself off.

Another favorite integration of mine is the pool/spa control. The spa takes about 30 minutes to bring up to temp, so I have it set where I can turn it on via the iPhone app when we are out. This is real nice when you're out for dinner and decide you'd like to go in the spa when you get home! Again, it's also nice to be able to control it from the HAI keypad upstairs so I don't have to go downstairs to turn it on or off.

I keep track of my garage door. I am really paranoid about it. Every hour after I open the garage door I get a voice announcement through the house that the garage door is open. I also have it set up to email my work and cell phone if the door is open seven minutes after the system is armed away. I can check the status of the garage door with my smart phone, and I can close the door too.

Wish my cousin did that MrGibbage, he left his garage door open and someone tried to steal his car (they couldnt drive stick though, didnt get past the driveway).

My system reminds me every 15 minutes if the garage door has been left open or not, I definitely understand where you are coming from ;)

My system reminds me every 15 minutes if the garage door has been left open or not, I definitely understand where you are coming from ;)

mine too. and also if the front door isn't locked after an extended period of no motion in the entryway, on the porch and in front of the house if the garage door is closed.

+1 and also my touch screen interface(s) have a flashing picture of my door when its open.

I use HA to remind me to take my blood pressure medicine. I have a motion sensor inside the medicine cabinet. If I don't open the cabinet I get a voice reminder until I open it.

Steve Q

I use HA to remind me to take my blood pressure medicine. I have a motion sensor inside the medicine cabinet. If I don't open the cabinet I get a voice reminder until I open it.

Steve Q

That would give me high blood pressure if I did not already have it (sort of like wife nagging) ;)

This is a good idea. I use a similar method for reminding me when it's garbage night. A voice announcement every half hour reminds me to take the can out to the street on the evening of garbage night until the system 'sees' that the side gate opened (have to open that to take the can out to the street).

I have a similar med timer system as well. It reminds the person once the next dosage is due, and keeps bugging until the timer has been reset via a remote button or touchscreen. If the person isn't home, then the M1 will bug you on your cellphone ;) Works pretty well.

Back