• Software:EventGhost, HomeSeer
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I just sent him a message. Hopefully everything is ok.

#47 Wiretec

Wiretec

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

Having a problem with arming/diarming with elkdroid. I can arm and disarm with elkdroid but only once. I then have to power down panel and back up again to arm/diarm every time. I noticed a while back that when I arm/diarmed panel with phone that the system acted a little erratic. Everything else works fine with elkdroid just the arm/disarm feature. Any suggestions.

#48 Wiretec

Wiretec

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have an Elk m1gold panel using the Elkdroid on a samsung tablet. Firmware up to date. Elkdroid works fine except that I can arm/disarm system but then it won't work again. If i shut down the panel and bring it back up it will work only one time again.In the past when I use the telephone feature to arm/disarm the system would act a little erratic. Any Ideas to what could cause this or how to fix it?

#49 Paul

Paul

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Experience:guru

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

I just sent him a message. Hopefully everything is ok.

Any response? As of this morning the market says that my device (Moto XT862)) is no longer compatible with elkdroid. I've dealt with the errors, the terrible battery life, the slow responsiveness, the lack of any type of support other than "I'll get back to you", but this is where I reach the end of my rope. I would think that the one app I own worth more than all my other apps combined would work a little better than this does.

#50 Dan (electron)

Dan (electron)

CocoonTech Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10853 posts
  • Twitter:@CocoonTech
  • Software:EventGhost, HomeSeer
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

No response at all.

Until the author of ElkDroid gets involved with his application again, I strongly recommend against purchasing this software, due to too many bug reports and lack of communications.

#51 123

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Premise
  • Hardware:Elk M1

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hopefully the author is alive and well and some pressing personal issues are keeping him fully occupied. The reality of the web is that you could literally drop dead and no would notice until you stopped responding to email or your tweets stopped.

Edited by 123, 11 April 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#52 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7004 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:CaddX, Elk M1, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF
  • Phone:OBi100/110, Ooma

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hopefully the author is alive and well and some pressing personal issues are keeping him fully occupied. The reality of the web is that you could literally drop dead and no would notice until you stopped responding to email or your tweets stopped.

This is so true and really, I am starting to consider this for my next selection of home automation software.

For instance:

HomeSeer is written by two people, but a lot of their plugins that users depend on are written by a single person. One good example of this is Jim Doolittle (who passed away in a tragic accident) who wrote the occupancy plugin a lot of people used (plus a lot of others as he was a fantastic guy who really helped with home automation problems).

CQC software (widely used by our forum members) is written by one person who retains the source code.

Elve is written by one person.

PowerHome is written by one person.

Some examples I can think of of software written by a 'company' (multiple people) include HomeSeer (core product), mControl, MainLobby, and HAI (software apps for their hardware).

Change is inevetible with software but a one person show may all of a sudden have some type of support problems down the road.

Edited by BraveSirRobbin, 14 April 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#53 123

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Premise
  • Hardware:Elk M1

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Not much one can do about 'force majeure'. Premise was created by a team of six developers and its demise came in the form of the new owner's decision to leave the HA market. One way or another, all good things eventually come to an end.

Until the day a product meets its end, I use its support forum as an indicator of current, real-world performance. A nice distribution of happy customers, several confused new users, and a smattering of disappointed ones tells me all is well. Reported problems that are acknowledged and quickly fixed is a healthy sign. Several of the one-man operations listed above have support forums that operate this way and that reflects well on them.

#54 Dean Roddey

Dean Roddey

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts
  • Software:CQC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

We just passed our ten year anniversary. People were saying you shouldn't buy it ten years ago because it could go away, it's only one guy, etc.... But look at how many considerably larger companies have exited this business in the ten years since, in one way or another. But we are still here. I've made it clear that if something horrible should happen that would prevent us from carrying the product forward, that we will open source it. And there are two of us, BTW, so if a huge bale of pot gets dumped out of a plane and lands on my apartment and kills me, Mark can still follow through on that. And we are on opposite sides of the country, so it would take a pretty big distaster to whack us both at once.

Of course we will not be a small company longer than we can avoid it either. As to 123's criteria, I think that we'd count as a very healthy company. The product has moved forward at a rapid pace for it's whole existence, and it's remained robust and I think that all our customers would say that the support is very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users