Elk WSV Water Shutoff Valve Question

BryanE

For those with an Elk WSV, how did you connect the green(status) and black(ground) wires to your system? I followed the install guide by connecting the WSV's ground to an Elk Supervised Power Supply (P212S) and the green wire to an input expander on Z16. What I'm getting is strange, my status on the device reads:Status=Violated State=Open Volts= 13.8. This doesn't change when the valve is open or closed. I also have a resistor on the green wire at the Zone Expander but it's not showing EOL under State. Should I connect the WSV's ground to the Zone Expander instead of the Supervised Power Supply? Does the Zone Expander require a ground for a zone?

This post reminds me I still have to wire mine (I did test the status part tho), thanks for the reminder!

According to the WSV doc, for the green wire..."...When the Valve is Closed this wire will produce a POS (+) 12 Vdc output which can then be used to drive an indicator or input if needed."

That sounds to me like you don't want to connect it directly to an M1XIN zone. If you want a zone to react to the valve opening/closing, you need to get a N/O relay with a 12Vdc coil. Connect the green wire to the positive relay coil lead and the black wire to the negative coil lead. Connect the two relay contactor leads to the common and normally open zone terminals. When the valve is open, the relay is open and the zone will show "normal" (if you have it defined as "normally open"). When the valve is closed, the relay coil will be energized, the contactors will be closed, and the zone will show "violated"...or something like that.

See this post where Spanky describes the ability to provide 12V to a zone input - It has saved me $ not having to use relays for my occupancy sensors. Note that this post was specifically talking about just that - occupancy sensors that when using 12v from an Elk power supply will output 12v to a certain wire when active. YMMV as it relates to your water valve.

The Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. OK, so if I'm reading this right...

"Put an end-of-line resistor across an M1 zone and program the zone for end-of-line supervision. Connect the the negative from your CM switch to the zone negative and the output line to the zone input that is not marked negative(-). When +12VDC is applied to the zone input, the zone will become NOT SECURE or violated."

When he says "put an EOL resistor across an M1 zone" does he mean from the negative on the zone expander to the zone input on the zone expander? Or just inline like you would for a typical sensor?

Attachments

• ZoneExpander.jpg
    ZoneExpander.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 60
That is a nice solution to monitoring the status of something like that.

You don't need to do it that way though with the WSV. I have my Elk WSV wired to an output such that when the output is on, the valve is open, when it is off, the valve is closed. It would be redundant to have a security zone monitor that since it will follow the status of the output. Output status is available as a rule parameter so you can write rules to have other stuff happen based on the open/closed status of that valve. If the valve malfunctions and fails to open/close as per the status of the output, perhaps wiring it up as shown might clue you into this malfunction, but it may not. I am not sure what triggers the monitor to change. If there is a physical sensor that detects the open/closed state, then it would. If it is based on the electronic status of where the valve should be, then it won't. Of course, you will find out soon enough when you open a faucet.

What happens if the valve fails to close or open?  Using the valve status indicator is a sure fire way to know the position of the valve.  There may be times when the valve fails to open or close due to power supply problems, pipe corrosion, etc.  I would rather have the redundancy to be sure and not chance a problem.

Back