• Experience:guru
  • Software:CQC
  • Hardware:HomeVision
  • Tech:X10-PLC, UPB, 1-Wire, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:11 AM

I've been running WHS for about a year now and finally needed to do a restore. My 120gb drive on my laptop started making some very strange noises.

I bought a 640gb drive and stuck it in a USB caddy on one of my other machines and did the restore and it was done in about 2 hours. Plugged it in and it works perfectly.

You'll notice that I did not restore from the laptop itself. This is possible but requires an install CD for the restore process and possibly slipstreaming a bunch of drivers for that machine. Why bother if you can do the restore with no aggravation on a desktop machine? If I had an eSATA caddy I suspect the restore would have been faster.

Windows Home Server really is a cool product and it just seems to work. There are some annoyances but I sleep very well at night knowing that all 7 machines are backed up at the image level and I do a little more than nothing to keep them running...

Oh yeah, the other day I put a new 2gb drive in by sliding it in and clicking Add drive. Really a great OS managing server storage and backup.

#2 PaulB

PaulB

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:X10-PLC, Z-Wave

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

I have to agree. The only other thing I do for backup is take the family pictures to DVD and then offsite just in case of fire. My better half would be seriously upset if I lost the family pictures.

#3 Dan (electron)

Dan (electron)

CocoonTech Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10853 posts
  • Twitter:@CocoonTech
  • Software:EventGhost, HomeSeer
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

Oh yeah, the other day I put a new 2gb drive in by sliding it in and clicking Add drive. Really a great OS managing server storage and backup.

Microsoft is dumping the Drive Extender feature, so enjoy it while you can ;)

#4 Monk

Monk

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Platinum Supporter=-
  • 715 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Microsoft is dumping the Drive Extender feature, so enjoy it while you can ;)

You beat me to it, Dan. Yes - it is a shame. I had posted this link over at HS a while back -
Thurrot blog

#5 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4308 posts
  • Software:Elve, Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Video:MythTV
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

What's neat now is that you can purchase 4 drive 3 Ware SATA cages that fit in the older towers and still have a CD Rom drive in them. I bought a couple of new ones for about $50.

#6 drozwood90

drozwood90

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • Software:HomeSeer
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

What's neat now is that you can purchase 4 drive 3 Ware SATA cages that fit in the older towers and still have a CD Rom drive in them. I bought a couple of new ones for about $50.

Pete, Really?

I've been looking for something like that. Haven't seen anything under $120.

I've got 3 hard drives left over from my "recovery" that I'd like to get into the server. I hate having 4.5TB sitting around doing nothing...

--Dan

#7 hucker

hucker

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

It is unfortunate that they say it is going away but I have hope that they might see the folly in that choice. It is amazing to me that there is nothing even close right now to what WHS can do as easily. I plan on keeping my whs box around for quite some time. Had they added support for backing up the server and macs it would have been perfect. Sigh.

#8 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4465 posts
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

actually, the newest one DOES have a way to backup macs - mine has a partition dedicated to supporting Apple's Time Machine function and backs up my MacBook Pro regularly with a fully granular backup to just about any version of any file on the machine.

I hope they change their minds - I'd hate to duplicate my movies; but I damn well want to duplicate my photos and music. Without this feature, it all gets a little harder again.

#9 hucker

hucker

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Out of curiosity why don't you backup your movies? It seems like it would be a major hassle to rerip an entire collection?

#10 Dan (electron)

Dan (electron)

CocoonTech Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10853 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

Drobo is a nice hardware alternative to WHS, definitely worth a look. I personally don't back up movies either, they take up tons of space, it makes the backup-of-a-backup process more time consuming, plus I have the original discs if it ever gets to that point (but it shouldn't since I am using RAID5 to store them).

#11 PaulB

PaulB

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:X10-PLC, Z-Wave

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:16 AM

It is unfortunate that they say it is going away but I have hope that they might see the folly in that choice. It is amazing to me that there is nothing even close right now to what WHS can do as easily. I plan on keeping my whs box around for quite some time. Had they added support for backing up the server and macs it would have been perfect. Sigh.

I do not use duplicating folders. I keep my pictures and music on my windows media machine which is also where I have Adobe Premier. Therefore, WHS is really my backup for the workstations. However, I am not using WHS as a file server which would change things.

#12 hucker

hucker

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

Drobo is a nice hardware alternative to WHS, definitely worth a look. I personally don't back up movies either, they take up tons of space, it makes the backup-of-a-backup process more time consuming, plus I have the original discs if it ever gets to that point (but it shouldn't since I am using RAID5 to store them).

I have looked pretty hard at as many backup solutions as I can and I have many issues with them but would be willing to consider others. There are many thoughts out there on what is 'good' and I always run into my issues. For example people love TimeMachine on the Mac. They rave about it. Well I had an HD problem and had to restore. Turns out it isn't image based so I screwed around for a day to get the machine up and running. For me that makes TM a toy product.

As far as I can tell there is no tool out there that gives me the following:

1) Easy to manage disk system
2) Scheduled,simple image based backups the machines on my network.
3) Stores multiple files once.

Most of the NAS systems do a good job of 1 (e.g.Drobo and linux tools), many tools like acronis do a good job of 2 on a single machine and there is no tool that does 3. This feature of WHS is not talked about much but is very nice. If you have 5 machines that all have windows, office, acrobat, visual studio the files are only stored once so you need much less server storage with WHS. When I first backed up my systems I was amazed that my 5 machines with about a terabyte of used space only used about 350GB of storage. The more machines you have the more this matters (for example I have local music and pictures on my laptops at no cost in space on WHS).

All that said WHS has a fatal flaw and that is the systm disk backup and to a lesser extent not being able to image mac's.

Now perhaps I'm stacking the options in favor of a MS product but multi machine image restore is a must and simple disk management is too. I don't really like setting up raid mostly because I find it to be a bit of a hassle.

Is there anything out there that can support my needs (and the needs of most of my friends that have multi machine home networks and small businesses)? I'm all ears.

#13 Photon

Photon

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, ip
  • Phone:Vonage

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

All that said WHS has a fatal flaw and that is the systm disk backup and to a lesser extent not being able to image mac's.

A couple months ago the SSD expired on my netbook, something I thought I needn't worry about any more than a memory failure on any other PC. When the replacement netbook arrived, I restored important files from a backup I did too long ago. I synch'ed my Outlook contacts and calander with my Pocket PC regularly, so of course the Pocket PC reset for the first time in years and dumped all my Outlook data. That was the hardest to recover from.

I bought a WHS machine from Newegg on an amazing sale, and added a second HDD I had laying around. It was a simple task to set up the connector software on four PCs, and I enjoy the security of the daily backup. As a test, I wiped the HDD on one of them and restored from WHS effortlessly. Finally, I copied all the files from my old SMC NAS box which I never really trusted, and I set the folders for those that matter to duplicate. I backup the shared files to a USB drive monthly. I also do an old fashoned MS Backup of the client PCs to the USB drive monthly. I finally feel like I am covered.

So back to the fatal flaw comment. I understand I'd have a lot of work to do if the WHS OS HDD dies and I run SageTV or other add-ins on the WHS box. However, if I run no add-ins and the c: drive dies, it seems I can easily recover/restore/reinstall WHS and be no worse off than I would be before WHS with regular backups to the USB drive and having the USB drive fail. I should even be able to count on the duplicated folders to survive. What is the fatal flaw?

Thanks . . . John

#14 Dan (electron)

Dan (electron)

CocoonTech Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10853 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

I use Acronis True Image, SyncBack Pro and a RAID5 based NAS, and have a very solid backup strategy, both local and remote (see here for an older diagram of my setup). What you are looking for is deduplication which some software does support. The way I organize my files on all systems, duplicate data is not as big of an issue right now, in fact, based on experience, I like having 'duplicate' data.

#15 project_x

project_x

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Software:Premise
  • Tech:Z-Wave, 1-Wire
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

WHS Users- Make sure to make backups of your backup database!

I happened to lose two WD 1TB drives on the same day (they were made on the same day and lasted about 18months), I lost a ton of data and my backup database was compromised. I re-built the database and continued backing up my home PCs (but didn't test the ability to access the backup images). About 2 weeks later, I had one of my household PCs lose a HD. I simply went to restore and I couldn't get finished (kept stalling, either as a single file restore or a full pc restore). As it turned out the backup database had been compromised, but appeared to WHS that it was ok. The problem with a damaged database is that Microsoft has no way to recover any of the data in the database. Fortunately there was a clever WHS user that had this problem that reverse engineered the database and came up with several command line programs to verify data integrity and even attempt to get the data out. His software (WHSDBDataDump) saved my life (it was my wife's pc) and I was able to get 98% of the data back.
Now I backup and test my backup database weekly. I love the WHS, you just need to pay a little attention to it to make sure that it will save your bacon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users