Looking for exterior floodlights with Z-wave

fgrogan

I want to replace the outdoor/exterior floodlights we have around our house (controlled via a 3 way switch on multi-levels of the house) with motion sensing floodlights that will come one when they sense motion at night. I also want to be able to switch them on using the existing wiring as well as replace those hardwired switches with Z-Wave switches so they can be controlled from Z-wave remotes and my HAI OmniPro 2 automation controller. Ideally, when the motion sensors on the lights detect motion they would also generate a signal on z-wave so that can be trapped as an event and further automation can take place.

Does anyone make a product like this?

I am not a Z-wave user, so my thoughts are only theoretical. Still, they may help as you look through various product catalogs and web sites.

I suspect you should not be looking at a light with Z-wave, but, instead, a Z-wave motion sensor, along with two z-wave switches to replace the existing two (three-way circuit). One of the switches would be hard-wired to the load (light). The other linked electronically.

The motion sensor would trigger the switch, and any other response you desire (and have the equipment able to exploit).

agree sorta with above.. I dont think you need a motion sensor.. what about a regular motion sensor going back to your hai equipment.. not sure that even needs to be zwave. I have motion sensors tied in to my elk alarm that have rules if there is motion after dark trigger my switch.

I would use a Leviton Vizia RF+ (RF=z-wave) and a Leviton Vizia +(non-zwave) to replace your current switches. HAI uses the Leviton RS232 interface (VRCOP-1LW) to talk to z-wave devices and therefore could control the lights. The other comment concerning the motion detector is correct you could have either a z-wave or hardwired motion detector to the HAI and then the HAI can turn on the lights.

However, NOTE inorder to use the Leviton z-wave switches you must have a controller to configure them and the RS232 interface. The Leviton controller is either a VRCPG-OSG or VRCPG-BSG. I do not know if you can use another manufacturers controller to program the Leviton stuff.

what about a regular motion sensor going back to your hai equipment
agree, sorta with above. Yes, a regular motion sensor going back to your HAI equipment could trigger that equipment to turn on the lights. However, NukeThemTilTheyGlow (!!??) specifically stated an interest in Zwave from the motion sensor, for reasons unstated. From the original post:

Ideally, when the motion sensors on the lights detect motion they would also generate a signal on z-wave

agree, sorta with above. Yes, a regular motion sensor going back to your HAI equipment could trigger that equipment to turn on the lights. However, NukeThemTilTheyGlow (!!??) specifically stated an interest in Zwave from the motion sensor, for reasons unstated. From the original post:

If he wants to use Z-Wave he could always use Z-Wave motion detectors like HSM-100 and use that to trigger an event that turned on his exterior lights via his HAI.

I use a MS10A to turn on my ZWave flood light, the problem is if the HA software goes down, so does my light. Something like the X10 Flood lights continue to work regardless. So I think he & myself want a self contained unit that Also sends out a zwave signal so we can monitor and control the flood light manually.

So the answer to his search is "Sorry, they don't make one yet. You will have to settle for a DIY hack."

Vaughn

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum NukeThemTillTheyGlow and JamrD.

I do not believe today that the Omni Pro 2 will work with wired Z-Wave or Zigbee motion sensors.

Here utilize outdoor Optex sensors (+ 10 years now) and currently utilize mostly UPB in wall switches. 

I do also have X10, Zigbee and Z-Wave PIMs connected to my Omni Pro 2.

The outdoor motion sensors work with other wired outdoor sensors today that generate all sorts of events.

Back