myKeypad - New Android App

stoyan

We have just released a new android application to the market. It allows you to connect to the Elk M1 panel through the M1-XEP module. Please check it out and give us some feedback. Search the android market for myKeypad.

I am not allowed to post links so I cant do a direct link to it

Must say I am a little disappointed you didn't check with staff first if it's ok to advertise your app. You know what they say about first impressions ;)

Also, did you review your own app? or is it just a coincidence that the only comment is from someone with the same first name as the author?

How about a 10 day free demo version of the app? The 24 hour refund period for something like this is not enough time to put it through the paces...

And I already have a lot of money into ELK apps for Android and iPhone/iPod. I'm not about to spend even more without taking for a test drive first.

How about a 10 day free demo version of the app? The 24 hour refund period for something like this is not enough time to put it through the paces...

And I already have a lot of money into ELK apps for Android and iPhone/iPod. I'm not about to spend even more without taking for a test drive first.
I don't know if I can make a 10 day free demo but I will try to look into that.

Must say I am a little disappointed you didn't check with staff first if it's ok to advertise your app. You know what they say about first impressions ;)

Also, did you review your own app? or is it just a coincidence that the only comment is from someone with the same first name as the author?

I am sorry if I offended someone(staff or otherwise) by posting this. I was just trying to get the word out.

I did not review my own app. As the developer I can't pay for my own app(the market won't allow it) therefore I can't leave a comment. Also my name is Stoyan and the review was from someone named Stan, very similar but not quite the same.

FYI, it is now 15 minutes to review a paid Android app before your purchase is final. My concern with this app is the paid add-ons that are standard with other apps.

Looks like a less complete ElkDroid rip-off.
I wonder if any ElkDroid code has found it's way into that app illegally.

Doubt it's a rip off, ElkDroid is pretty powerful and complex code, plus it's pretty easy to write a driver for the M1 (ELK did a fantastic job on the protocol).

So stoyan, this isn't you?
http://twitter.com/sisedi

I have no problems helping new apps grow, but it's really important to be honest or it will backfire.

I am surprised at the amount of negativity shown to someone trying to introduce a new app. I agree that the poster should have checked with site staff before promoting his own product and that is something for site staff to address, but to accuse the guy of rating his own app and then implying that he is illegally stealing code with no basis is unwarranted and no way to treat someone trying to bring a new HA product to market.

If I weren't already using the Android App with CQC to manage my ELK, I would be all over this. The only other app in this marketplace costs 10x the cost of this app which I think is a little unreasonable. If I were to jump to conclusions like everyone else here, I would almost think his competition is trying to kill him off before he gets off the ground (not that I am).

The app looks pretty good at first glance but I second the recommendation for a demo or trial version.

And before anyone accuses me, no I do not have any affiliation with the OP at all. I am just an independent Cocooner like the rest of us who doesn't like to see someone unfairly getting ganged up on without justification.

EDIT: The twitter guy mentioned above named above does appear to be affiliated with Gast Studios and has the same first name as the first reviewer on the day the app was launched. If this is a case of self-promotion, I agree it isn't a good way to get started and I may have to eat "some" of the words above.

Joe

The ElkDroid comment surprised me as well, it doesn't make much sense. As for me, all I did was ask a question, which I researched before asking. When one signs up, it specifically states in bold letters:

"If you are affiliated with a company or product, you agree not to advertise, in public and private, your product(s) and/or service(s), unless you were granted permission by CocoonTech.com in advance."

It's my job to look out for the CocoonTech members, and since Android is so open, many apps have been released with the intent of hijacking personal data (which I am fairly sure isn't the case here, but have to be sure), so when someone signs up, ignores the rules, and possibly lies about his identity, then I have to call it in question, especially when it involves a security system. I apologize now (and will again) if I'm wrong, but better safe than sorry ;)

The ElkDroid comment surprised me as well, it doesn't make much sense. As for me, all I did was ask a question, which I researched before asking. When one signs up, it specifically states in bold letters:

"If you are affiliated with a company or product, you agree not to advertise, in public and private, your product(s) and/or service(s), unless you were granted permission by CocoonTech.com in advance."

It's my job to look out for the CocoonTech members, and since Android is so open, many apps have been released with the intent of hijacking personal data (which I am fairly sure isn't the case here, but have to be sure), so when someone signs up, ignores the rules, and possibly lies about his identity, then I have to call it in question, especially when it involves a security system. I apologize now (and will again) if I'm wrong, but better safe than sorry ;)

Sorry Dan, wasn't really directing at you as much as the ElkDroid comment. As I mentioned, you have every right to protect the sites interests and per your last post, may have a warranted concern about the self-promotion with the "Gast Studios" tie-in.

sounds like a fish story to me.. you make it sound like you dont know stan. A quick internet seach implies stans is your buddy. Also considering on your website the guy that did all the changes is Stan sure sounds ike you know him...
http://www.gaststudios.com/mykeypad/system/app/pages/recentChanges

You make it sound like you dont know stan.

Besides you lying about knowing stan what I find interetsing is there are no references to this app on the internet before today. This is not the type of app you would develope in a vaccum. You basically need a elk and other users with a elk to debug/test as no one person has all the elk add-ons.

With the lying in the first post about your reviewer sounds like it is not much of a leap to reverse engineer/stealing code to me...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4336637/is-it-really-impossible-to-protect-android-apps-from-reverse-engineering
http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

I don't know if I can make a 10 day free demo but I will try to look into that.

I am sorry if I offended someone(staff or otherwise) by posting this. I was just trying to get the word out.

I did not review my own app. As the developer I can't pay for my own app(the market won't allow it) therefore I can't leave a comment. Also my name is Stoyan and the review was from someone named Stan, very similar but not quite the same.

My apologies if I got some people's backs up over my comments. My bad. It's just that when I took a look at the screens and read the features, it seemed that there were a few too many similarities to be coincidence (not that the capabilities can even really be compared in most cases, though). It could be my imagination and I suppose that the stipulation that there may be stolen code is wrong on my part, but I get steamed when I think of the possibility since I know how hard Kent worked on ElkDroid.
I'll back off.

ELK supports third party development which gives the M1 product line more capabilities than otherwise possible.

It is a good idea to let ELK know of intended third party development intentions so that we can give recommendations and share pit falls.

Until this thread I did not know of any Android development other than Kent William's ELKDroid.

In support of Cocoontech, all developers should be up front and honest. If you have a good product the Cocoontech members will help promote it. Believe me, if your product has any problems, the members will let you know about it. If a developer fixes the problems he will move forward, otherwise the product will die.

Jason Callaway with his iPhone app and Kent Williams with ELKDroid are good examples of a lot of hard work and many software revisions needed to make a great product.

I have read all of your comments and I would like to respond in one post.

First of all, Stan is my roommate and he has helped me develop the app. That being said, he paid for the app and reviewed it on his own.

The website was updated by him because he is more graphically inclined and would make better choices as far as design. I am more code oriented.

I started developing this application back last April(2010) and have been using an Elk M1 that was setup at my house for testing and also the official Elk demo (m1demo.elkproducts.com). While developing this app the ElkDroid app was released which gave us a higher incentive for getting the app complete.

The app was definitely not developed in a vacuum, and we had plenty of testing with the the two systems, spent a lot of time working on this. The reason why it might seem similar to other apps is solely based on the idea that they all perform similar tasks. All of the code for this was developed based on the specs that Elk has posted.

The plugins are additionally setup for purchase as separate, in-app purchases, because we were told that most people only use the main arm/disarm functionally and none of the other features. As such we decided that offering the base app at a lower price was more convenient for most users. People that have and want the other features may pay extra to use them but those that don't need them don't have to pay extra.

Again I would like to apologize to the staff for all this. I would also like to apologize for any misconceptions that occurred based on Stan's comment.

As far as creating a demo, why not just make a "lite" or "free" version that stops operating after a period of time, and then requires a purchased license key to continue operating. PowerAmp does this with their Android music player. I used the free version until it expired, and then I bought the key for it because I came to rely upon it.

Back