22 replies to this topic

#1 SHRemote

SHRemote

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

I just had my OmniPro II system installed today. I would like to integrate my HVAC systems. Currently, I've got a Carrier Infinity system and will shortly have two Trane XL systems as well. My question is whether I can use OmniStat2 controllers to run these systems through my HAI?

I've read about the HAI being compatible with the Carrier Infinity if you buy (the outrageously priced) Carrier SAM module. However, it seems as if that's dealing with a separate control of the Carrier system (i.e. not using the OmniStatII).

#2 HAI_fjh

HAI_fjh

Dedicated Cocooner

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

Unfortunately Carrier uses a proprietary protocol between the thermostat and the unit. It can not be replaced by any conventional thermostat. The only interface Carrier offers is through the SAM and HAI supports that interface.

OmniStat II is extremely programmable and can usually work with any system that has a conventional thermostat. You might want to download the OmniStat II manual from our web site and give it to your HVAC contractor. He should be able to determine it it will work with your particular model.

#3 SHRemote

SHRemote

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

Unfortunately Carrier uses a proprietary protocol between the thermostat and the unit. It can not be replaced by any conventional thermostat. The only interface Carrier offers is through the SAM and HAI supports that interface.

OmniStat II is extremely programmable and can usually work with any system that has a conventional thermostat. You might want to download the OmniStat II manual from our web site and give it to your HVAC contractor. He should be able to determine it it will work with your particular model.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid that was the answer on Carrier. However does that mean that I can use the OmniStat on the Trane XL16i? In the meantime I will take your advice and give my HVAC contractor the manual. Thanks again for the support.

Edited by SHRemote, 24 March 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#4 Homeboy

Homeboy

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, RadioRA2
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, dvr

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid that was the answer on Carrier. However does that mean that I can use the OmniStat on the Trane XL16i? In the meantime I will take your advice and give my HVAC contractor the manual. Thanks again for the support.

Hi,
Were you able to integrate omnistat to Carrier infinity?
thanks

#5 SHRemote

SHRemote

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

Nope. Bit the bullet and bought the module for the Carrier unit. Absurdly expensive. The Omnistats work on my Tranes and whatever my fourth unit is. Everything is integrated.

Edited by SHRemote, 17 December 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#6 HAI_fjh

HAI_fjh

Dedicated Cocooner

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

UPDATE: Since my last post there have been a few changes. HAI has released a firmware update that allows the Omni to communicate with a Carrier/Bryant SAM. So while you still can not replace their thermostat with an Omnistat the Omni (or Lumina) can control their thermostats.

You will need to upgrade your PC Access and controller firmware to use this feature.

Edited by HAI_fjh, 20 December 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#7 SJHart

SJHart

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

UPDATE: Since my last post there have been a few changes. HAI has released a firmware update that allows the Omni to communicate with a Carrier/Bryant SAM. So while you still can not replace their thermostat with an Omnistat the Omni (or Lumina) can control their thermostats.

You will need to upgrade your PC Access and controller firmware to use this feature.

It works, but the price they charge for the SAM is pure insanity. Integration with my HAI system was critical and I went with another HVAC system brand that could be controlled with a standard Omnistat. SJ

#8 Mr Spock

Mr Spock

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Silver Supporter=-
  • 239 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Tech:UPB, Custom
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm curious of the cost of this insanity. Can you give us a number?

#9 SJHart

SJHart

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

$800

Edited by SJHart, 25 December 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#10 Ranger Digital

Ranger Digital

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

There is still no way to use an Omnistat to control a Trane that uses Comfortlink II, correct? Last I understood, Trane would not release the protocol to control Comfortlink II.

If this has changed, me and about a dozen customers will be adding omnistat!

#11 SJHart

SJHart

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

One thing to mention is that the SAM does a lot more that I did not need besides integration with HAI. The overall SAM functionality is likely driving the higher price. SJ

Edited by SJHart, 27 December 2011 - 12:39 AM.

#12 GotHAI

GotHAI

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

I am using Omnistat II with Trane 16i. I asked my HVAC installer to figure it out because that was what I had.

I believe they have the option to order it without their communication module. It then wires up like a standard HVAC. They connect to the furnace.

I am also connected to a Honeywell Humidifier. It requires a relay.

I would rather have better integration with the Humidifier. HAI needs to have a humidifier/dehumidifier solution. It may just be the fact that I use Trane.

Works good, Humidifier sometimes does not come on. But for HVAC purposes, it works well.

#13 SHRemote

SHRemote

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Is this different from the SAM integration that's been part of HAI for a few years? If so, how is it different. Right now, I've got my SAM hooked into my system as a thermostat. It's fine but I don't have the same robust functionality that I get with the OmniStat. Most notably missing is the ability to monitor and control humidity.

#14 Relleum

Relleum

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Tech:UPB
  • Video:Windows Media Center

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

There is still no way to use an Omnistat to control a Trane that uses Comfortlink II, correct? Last I understood, Trane would not release the protocol to control Comfortlink II.

If this has changed, me and about a dozen customers will be adding omnistat!

Had I known that the Trane ComfortLink II would not support integration with the OmniPro (or any other home automation system), I would have purchased the Carrier Infinity system instead. Now I'm stuck with two top-of-the-line Trane x20i units, with no ability to control them the way I want.

When will they open this protocol up? I hope this isn't their ass backwards method of trying to promote their own home automation system.

#15 Relleum

Relleum

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Tech:UPB
  • Video:Windows Media Center

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Had I known that the Trane ComfortLink II would not support integration with the OmniPro (or any other home automation system), I would have purchased the Carrier Infinity system instead. Now I'm stuck with two top-of-the-line Trane x20i units, with no ability to control them the way I want.

When will they open this protocol up? I hope this isn't their ass backwards method of trying to promote their own home automation system.

It's been nearly half a year since I ranted about Trane's lack of compatibility. Has anything changed since then? Nope? Such bull shenanigans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users