Trouble enrolling an Elk-M1XOVR

Quixote_1

Hey,
I've just wired an Elk-M1XOVR up to a data bus hub over cat5e and attempted to enroll it. It is not responding and I cannot see it listed on the keypad for some reason.
The light on the unit is flashing about twice a second, but the lights beside the relays do not illuminate when I attempt to activate the relays.
After I start the enrollment process, the keypad says something about Keypad 1 -> lost comm. momentarily (not a new problem though) and then states that the enrollment is finished. The keypad works without a hitch. When I continue on to the edit section, I see no mention of anything but the single keypad on the system.
I have left the default address as 2 (Outputs 17-32) and set them to be shown in Elk-RP.
I must be overlooking something dirt simple because the instructions were easy to follow since I already knew how to wire keypads to the data bus hub and enroll them.

Do I need to jumper the M1XOVR to terminate the bus? I was under the impression that that is already taken care of on the hub because of the returns.

Thanks!

Two things to check out:

1. Make sure data A and data B lines on the OVR are going to the same data A and Data B pins on the data bus hub. You should have wired the data lines so that the OVR is in series with the data bus according to the instructions. The is the most common wiring problem.

2. With all power turned off, measure the resistance across data A and data B. It should measure about 65 ohms.

The M1OVR accepts data broadcasts from the M1, therefore it should still work without being enrolled just by connecting it to the data bus.

Two things to check out:

1. Make sure data A and data B lines on the OVR are going to the same data A and Data B pins on the data bus hub. You should have wired the data lines so that the OVR is in series with the data bus according to the instructions. The is the most common wiring problem.

2. With all power turned off, measure the resistance across data A and data B. It should measure about 65 ohms.

The M1OVR accepts data broadcasts from the M1, therefore it should still work without being enrolled just by connecting it to the data bus.

Thanks, Spanky! You hit the nail on the head. I guess I was working too late because after reexamining the connections I found that although the wiring was done correctly, I had failed to move the terminating resistor on the data bus hub from J2 to J3 and plug the M1OVR into J2 to keep everything in series correctly.
I have everything working now, though I am still perplexed by the "Lost Comm." message on the keypad when I go through the enrollment process.

Any suggestion for lighting? I was thinking the 16 relay to control 16 light, That is very reasonable price in term of cost. Even if I need to put a touch panel for one area is still cheaper than any other solution.
If not, what other lighting is good? Since I am in Europe voltage 240v standard.

I think you need to re-think your methodology.  This isn't really the correct tool to use to switch 240 volt lighting applications.  Plus how will you switch the lights manually when needed?

There are european spec automation protocols - I'm not sure which ones translate, but I know some do - look up UPB, Zigbee, Z-Wave, Insteon - and google for european compatibility.  I know some of them work.  Use those switch your light loads and use the Elk to interface with their protocols.

Let say if I decided to use the ELK output as lighting control, I guess it will be 80 switches, I have tested the individual relay did work with my 1000 ft cable, And I know most of them will be running less than 80 feet to turn on relay, In asia, we have one small panel that control 4 switches, this really fit my application.
Beside, I have use the plugin for the homeseer to do the control, everything seem to work very well from Homeseer to control ELK output.
To turn on the light, I will use the alarm input, use the push on momentory switch to control individual relay output.
My question is, if I don't want to use the homeseer, is that any way I can put those switch and status in the "Lighting" section in ELK LCD panel intead of "Output" section?

Back