• 2614 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, dvr

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

I am looking at doing away with my iPhone and moving to the HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. Just curious if there were users of this phone and what they had to say about it. I am not really interested in starting a Sprint vs whoever coverage debate, just the phone itself and if the 4G speed really is a noticeable step up.

#2 nov0798

nov0798

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Software:Premise
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:UPB, 1-Wire
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

I have one of these phones and love it. Not really sure what to say about it, other than it does everything I want it to do.

#3 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

I was curious about stuff like, does it crash, does it have all of the apps that a HA geek might want, is the internet speed really that much better, is it durable, etc?

Glad to hear you like it though. My contract with ATT expires end of May and I doubt I will renew.

#4 George M

George M

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Software:CQC
  • Tech:X10-PLC, INSTEON, Z-Wave
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:SageTV

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

I was curious about stuff like, does it crash, does it have all of the apps that a HA geek might want, is the internet speed really that much better, is it durable, etc?

Glad to hear you like it though. My contract with ATT expires end of May and I doubt I will renew.

I have one running on Sprint. I love it. It has never crashed and I have it rooted and tried varius roms on it.
As for 4G, when in a 4G area download speed is about 7.8mps.

#5 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Wow, more than 7 mbps. Supposedly all of Austin is covered by 4g so I should be in business. That is pretty much faster than my cable modem.

#6 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

So I got the Evo 4g a week ago. I am very impressed with the phone. It does a lot more stuff than the iphone and it runs much faster. It is not as good with battery and you really have to keep in mind what services you turn on.

Sprint loaded it with a bunch of useless apps that take up space (screen space mostly). They locked those apps down so you can't delete them or even remove the icon without jumping through hoops. I rooted the phone and have figured out how to remove those apps. I also added the tethering app. If I get more adventurous, I might try loading other ROM's, but I haven't figured out how to do that and if it would really be of any benefit to me.

The voice recognition on this phone is tremendous and the navigation is superb. The screen is huge and bright and crisp. For some reason it won't let you organize contacts by last name and it doesn't have a quick way to get at your favorites list. However, with the voice recognition working so well it may not be relevent. The voice to text works shocking well. I can send texts, emails, do google searches, navigate somewhere all without typing anything. Occasionally it does come up with some interesting interpretations of my speech, but usually it gets it first time.

#7 twilo123

twilo123

Dedicated Cocooner

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:39 AM

the useless apps part and locked down so you can't delete them is common on android since it is open source and carriers and create custom roms. Verizon does the same bs and i bet all of the other carriers do to.

this just came out recently also: HTC Evo 4g+

So I got the Evo 4g a week ago. I am very impressed with the phone. It does a lot more stuff than the iphone and it runs much faster. It is not as good with battery and you really have to keep in mind what services you turn on.

Sprint loaded it with a bunch of useless apps that take up space (screen space mostly). They locked those apps down so you can't delete them or even remove the icon without jumping through hoops. I rooted the phone and have figured out how to remove those apps. I also added the tethering app. If I get more adventurous, I might try loading other ROM's, but I haven't figured out how to do that and if it would really be of any benefit to me.

The voice recognition on this phone is tremendous and the navigation is superb. The screen is huge and bright and crisp. For some reason it won't let you organize contacts by last name and it doesn't have a quick way to get at your favorites list. However, with the voice recognition working so well it may not be relevent. The voice to text works shocking well. I can send texts, emails, do google searches, navigate somewhere all without typing anything. Occasionally it does come up with some interesting interpretations of my speech, but usually it gets it first time.

#8 d.dennerline

d.dennerline

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Silver Supporter=-
  • 288 posts
  • Software:EventGhost
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Video:BeyondTV
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:07 AM

T-Mobile was running a 4 day special that past weekend that you can receive a free HTC Sensation 4G by simply signing up for a data plan package (I switched from AT&T). The nice thing about T-Mobile is your connection throughput is rate limited once your data cap is reached instead of suffering usage charges.

I am not a big fan of keyboard-less phone, but afterinstalling the latest Google voice command and search application, the voice control of device is extremely robust. I was able to create text message, dictate text,and send with minimal keypad contact. The accuracy was astonishingly high. The Google voice application that came with phone needed to be updated/replaced.

The phone has a large enough display the landscape typing isnot nail biting experience. I was planning on waiting for Samsung Galaxy 2S. From what I can tell, I think the HTC Sensation is close brother.

Hopefully, T-Mobile will have another online sale.

Edited by d.dennerline, 08 July 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#9 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

As far as I can tell, when Sprint says "unlimited data" they really mean it. I have read all the fine print and nowhere does it report any cap or throttle down.

The 4g (and I assume all android phones) have another point that I don't like. When the phone connects to a blue tooth earpiece, it doesn't tell you it is connected. So if you try to answer the phone while your earpiece is in the center console, or your wife has hers in her purse, you have no idea why you keep saying heelllo, and no one is there.

I still think this phone is way better than my iphone 3gs. I have also rooted the phone and discovered that you can create a full backup of the device which can be restored at any time. No worries about Sprint changing the os and sticking it to you forever like with Apple.

#10 damage

damage

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1115 posts
  • Twitter:@doghouselabs
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:TimeCommander+, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Squeezebox
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, Linksys PAP2, magicJack, OBi100/110

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

As far as I can tell, when Sprint says "unlimited data" they really mean it. I have read all the fine print and nowhere does it report any cap or throttle down.

my wife & i love that. we've been long time SERO plan users (and now SERO premium) and have suffered through some crappy phones while everyone was getting iphones, etc. but the unlimited data on the old $30/month SERO plan made it bearable. we've got epic 4g's now and with unlimited 3g & 4g data, unlimited roaming 3g data, unlimited sms & mms, unlimited any mobile to mobile minutes for $50/month, we couldn't be happier. well, i wouldn't mind having a galaxy s ii :P

#11 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Sprint does give a pretty good deal if you are friends with an IBM employee (%25 off). So my final bill for two phones with taxes for 1300 shared minutes, unlimited everything else, 7pm nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile is $125 ($62.5/phone). With the rooting of the phone and the tether app I get that as well, though I rarely use it. Plus I will get $125/phone rebate next month for switching to Sprint from ATT, and I was able to sell my iphones on ebay for $250 each.

#12 etc6849

etc6849

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts
  • Software:Premise
  • Tech:X10-RF, Z-Wave, Custom
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

You should look at the Nexus S 4G. I just picked one up last month and really like it. While hardware wise the HTC Evo may be better, the Nexus S 4G feels a lot faster than my Evo. HTC and sprint put too much software I don't want on the Evo for me to ever have liked it. I also tried Cyanogenmod 7 on the Evo to improve performance. However, the Nexus S still feels a little smoother/faster. I can't wait to for the next "pure" Google phone; hopefully it's galaxy s ii based...

I'm thinking about switching to a SERO plan next year. Are they still letting Sprint employees convert existing Sprint customers to SERO? Last I heard they only let employee's convert two existing customers per year.

Edited by etc6849, 12 July 2011 - 04:46 PM.

#13 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

You should look at the Nexus S 4G. I just picked one up last month and really like it. While hardware wise the HTC Evo may be better, the Nexus S 4G feels a lot faster than my Evo. HTC and sprint put too much software I don't want on the Evo for me to ever have liked it. I also tried Cyanogenmod 7 on the Evo to improve performance. However, the Nexus S still feels a little smoother/faster. I can't wait to for the next "pure" Google phone; hopefully it's galaxy s ii based...

I'm thinking about switching to a SERO plan next year. Are they still letting Sprint employees convert existing Sprint customers to SERO? Last I heard they only let employee's convert two existing customers per year.

root your evo and replace the rom with a pure android rom and you are in business. Rooting Android 2.2 on the evo is very easy. 2.3 can't be rooted as of now.

#14 ewelin

ewelin

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Ok, I'm about ready to bite the bullet and root my EVO. I'm running out of built in space and there is so many useless apps that I just want to drop. Is there a good step by step guide anyplace?

#15 sic0048

sic0048

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:CQC
  • Tech:CentraLite
  • Audio:B&K
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, VoIP via ISP

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Ok, I'm about ready to bite the bullet and root my EVO. I'm running out of built in space and there is so many useless apps that I just want to drop. Is there a good step by step guide anyplace?

I really like Androidforums.com because they provide some really detailed stuff, but in fairly easy to understand language. In other words, they don't assume you already know what you are doing. There is an EVO forum and a Root sub-forum that is great. Here is a rooting for dummies thread which should be what you are looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users