Simple self powered alarm

pete_c

Guru
Looking for suggestions.

Looking for supplying 12VDC to alarm via solar panel/batteries
Alarm will power itself from the 12VDC.

I'm thinking of a do all DIY GSM alarm (as sold on Ebay) for one piece.

Maybe a separate GSM/IP camera setup for the second part.

The entrance to the area in question about 1 mile away has electric / fence. The area inside in question doesn't have electric; hence the 12VDC battery/solar stuff.

I'm doing a quick "site survey" this afternoon (its about 4 miles from my home).

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 12VDC.jpg
    12VDC.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 24
I saw these totaly wireless cameras at ISC West recently. Looked interesting...

http://www.cocoontec...s-display-booth

http://micropowerapp.com/

I take it you don't have line of sight access to this area from your home?

For powering the alarm, are you looking for an 'all inclusive' unit that includes the solar panels coupled with the alarm system? What kind of alarm sensors are you thinking about?

Dakota Alert has some interesting battery powered sensors. Maybe you could have the wireless receiver in another powered area nearby?

http://www.dakotaalert.com/about.php

How much money are you looking to drop into this?

Thank-you gatchel and BSR

I'm doing this as a favor to the friend and as a challenge and experiment for me (can it be done type thing).

Right now the budget is open.

The "entrance" to the plot of land already has electric/security cameras. It is also fenced. The area in question though is fenced but doesn't have electric or security cams and is too far from the entrance to do anything with.

For powering the alarm, are you looking for an 'all inclusive' unit that includes the solar panels coupled with the alarm system?

Kind of looking at a DIY thing for the power using:

1-2 of these:

Solar Panel

one of these:

DC Voltage controller

Relating to the alarm piece thinking of a GSM setup that would be powered off one or two 12VDC automotive type batteries.

Kind of something like this:

GSM Alarm google search

The friend also wants video monitoring and I was thinking of a second setup autonomous to the alarm piece for just video (again maybe GSM).

Went to look today. Found a nice high location to install "stuff"; and my friend said he would be willing to install some wood utility poles (there's a pile of them off to the side) anywhere I wanted.

Picture

Well, budget aside, this is doable... For batteries you just have to figure out how many you need to run the equipment for a minimum of 18 hours... then you need to figure out charging equipment to charge it in 6-8 hours max.

For the camera uplink, this product is often marketed for just that - http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=52498
It could take care of the backhaul for you.

Sounds like a fun project!

Thanks for the suggestions Work2Play.

I was thinking 1-2 of the solar panels mentioned above with two 12VDC batteries should hopefully do it. Ordering these in the next week or so. Thinking the above mentioned voltage controller should do the job eh?

Hi Pete;

Not trying to make to much of a 'project' out of this (posting this FYI), but you want to see what your total amp draw is before specifying your solar/charge power system.

Once you do that you then want to determine how many days of 'no sun' and night time combo backup you want the system to have in hours. Multiply this hour number by the amp draw and that will be the minimum battery size you want (amp-hr). If it were me, I would double it so I never would draw the battery down more than 50% of its rating (ideally).

You then need to size the solar panels so they can optimally replace the above maximum amp*hr draw without sun during (ideally) the following day. To do this you need to look at a solar panel's current output vs. exposed (sun output) available solar radiation (watts/m[sup]2[/sup]) graph and determine 1) the minimum solar radiation available in your area during the winter (where it is the least) and the minimum amount of daylight hours available (again in the winter where it is the least). This will give you the minimum performance output of the solar panel during the winter.

Here is an example:

A 12 volt security system has a maximum (DC) current draw of one amp continuous.

You want to insure you have three days of battery backup in case you have three day of no sun (72 hrs).

You also want to insure the battery will only draw down to 50% of its rating. Therefore the battery size needs to be 1amp * 72hrs = 72 amp*hrs, then double it for an approximate 150 amp*hr rating.

Now you need to size the solar panels so you can replace the battery draw of 72 amp*hrs during one full day's exposure to sunlight during the winter time (worst case scenario sun exposure).

Your area has solar radiation exposure of 600 watts/m[sup]2[/sup] during the winter (should be able to look up this data for your area). Looking at solar radiation vs current output graph of the solar panel shows that it will output 6 amps of current when exposed to that amount of solar radiation. The winter time has about 8 hours of daylight so the amount of charge that this solar panel can replace during the winter months is 6 amps * 8 hrs or 48 amp*hrs. Of course the system is drawing current while it is charging so you need to subtract the 1 amp * 8 hrs or 8 amp*hrs from this number so you only have 48 amp*hrs – 8 amp*hrs = 40 amp*hrs of battery replacement charge available.

Since optimally you want to have 72 amp*hrs available you would need to double the solar panel's capability or live with less battery backup hours available (in this case it would be about half the battery backup time if you used this solar panel), or hope there are more consecutive days of sunlight available for charging.

Of course cost is always a factor and you have to certainly weigh the above specs with the funds available. For instance you may want to draw the battery down more then 50%, or you live with less battery backup. I've run the Concorde SunExtender AGM type batteries down to nothing and they charged back up without issues.

There are some other factors to consider as well. For instance some equipment may get damaged if their 12 volt DC operating voltage gets to low. Certain charge controllers will cut off the output if this happens.

There are also 'smart' charge controllers (I liked the MorningStar SunSaver MPPT technology ones) that will maximize the charge to the battery in low sunlight conditions. Some controllers incorporate a (remote) temperature sensor and will take the temperature of the battery into consideration for charging scenarios as well. They will also insure the battery will never over charge by emitting just a trickle to it if needed.

Make sure you size the charge controller by looking at the solar panel's maximum current output.

You also want to adjust your solar panels' direction and angle to maximize exposure to the sun at various times of the year (should be able to look up this data for your area). Also consider the amount of wind these panels will be exposed to and purchase a strong frame to match those conditions.

You also want to incorporate appropriate fusing at the solar panel's output and the output of the charge controller (to the equipment).

Of course, the above scenario is for more of a mission critical application, but you might just want to run through the numbers with your proposed system so you don't have any surprises when it's installed (especially if its for a friend).

Also, the above calculations are just rough numbers for approximate sizing of your components and others may have differing (better) methods. I ran through the above numbers very quickly so hopefully there are no any glaring errors!

One vendor that I've dealt with is Arizona Wind Sun (not affiliated with them at all) for components as they seemed to have decent pricing.

Thank you BSR.

I assumed much more than I should have.

I will make my list of what exactly will be on site relating the power draw; network, cameras, security and so forth.

Looking to install mostly stationary cameras and maybe one PTZ. Network connectivity on the WAN side will be via GSM.

Ideally was thinking of a combo GSM / WLAN / Firewall device.

First then the combo box.

I saw mention of the Cradlepoint MBR900 combo on the Homeseer forum.

Back