NanoStation Loco

pete_c

Guru
Playing with a new AP. I've read good "stuff" about it.

Note that the device isn't really user friendly and meant more for an ISP bridge type setup.

I'm playing with it and most likely will install one on a farm (with 4 houses) in Indiana where a friend has built a new home but cannot get wireless access unless he installs a tower adjacent to the home.

Nanostation Loco

Datasheet

NS2 Manual

NS2 User Guide

Quick Setup

Looks like it'll work with DD-WRT too.

This looks pretty good. . . I could use more power for around my house, basically an 802.11g access point on steroids. . .. From the user guide, it looks like it can be configured that way? Any idea what the legal limits are on transmit power? Or would it not really help, as the laptop/etc would not be able to transmit back to it?

The device is meant to be a bridge.

Over the last couple of years the legal limits have changed a bit.

DSL reports dot com

With a good antenna on a laptop you would get very good range with this AP.

I haven't played much with the nanostation, but a few of us have toyed with the Picostation M2-HP. I personally use one (I wanted N speeds on an AP); and I've helped set up others as bridge-mode repeaters to extend a network via wifi between two buildings.

When you open the settings page, there is a check box that says "obey regulatory regulations" - it's NOT checked by default :rockon: It looked like that box disappeared on the newest firmware though.

So far even using simple devices like my iPhone I do get tremendous range wtih it.

The device is meant to be a bridge.

Over the last couple of years the legal limits have changed a bit.

DSL reports dot com

With a good antenna on a laptop you would get very good range with this AP.

Ok, sounds good. I'm looking at section 5. Configuration, where they start off with Simple AP (Access Point). Looks like just what I want!

Thanks

markd

Not sure yet if I will be updating the OS to DD-WRT; the built in OS looks to be ok. The device didn't come with any instructions other than an FCC statement, POE adapter and two cable ties. I did update the firmware last night to the most current. It took only a few minutes to set up. I found another setup document. This document refers to the basic configuration in bridge mode. A lot of folks have complained about the logic in the labeling of the POE/LAN port. I believe the MFG price is $49.99; prices seem to be different (mostly higher) depending on the site. One of the distributors is selling them on Ebay for $49.99 including free shipping.

Attachments

• ubiquiti_config.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 8
I mounted the Nanostation 2 in the attic on a piece of PVC angled down a bit and to one side of the house such that footprint covers the entire home. I had three Buffalo HP-G54's covering each floor of the home. The wireless Kodak and Chumby frames were the test wireless devices. First I connected the Chumby devices. They were around 80% or so with the Buffalo AP's. All of them spread across two floors of the home went to a 100% wireless signal(as seen on the device display). I next tested multiple Kodak frames; these were showing around 35-40% on the DD-WRT signal meter. They connected right away to the Nanostation.

This is what I am getting on a wireless IPCamera in the basement furthest away from the AP.

Uptime: 00:09:13
Signal Strength: -71 dBm
CCQ: 98%

and a Kodak picture frame:

Uptime: 00:23:31
Signal Strength: -31 dBm
CCQ: 100%

I'm pleased; shutting off the old Buffalo AP's (with DD-WRT running at 50Mw settings).

I have bought all mine from www.cyberguys.com - they have the POE injector for $15 or so.

One *REALLY* important note... these things work similar to POE, but aren't really following standard POE - if you tried to power one of these off a POE switch instead of their injector you'll cook your AP. It's only meant to receive 12VDC and standard POE is 48V.

Thanks Work2Play.

This one came complete with POE injector for $49.99. Buying two more today for the "farm" my friend has. This setup will be done using a bridge from the wireless AP to town he has on one house directly plugged into the "station" configured AP side.

I'm thinking its pushing more an just 1 watt out.

Here is the link: (sorry thought it was free shipping; still a good price). Almost the same price as Cyberguys dot com.

Ubiquiti Nanostation NS2

I mounted the Nanostation 2 in the attic on a piece of PVC angled down a bit and to one side of the house such that footprint covers the entire home. I had three Buffalo HP-G54's covering each floor of the home. The wireless Kodak and Chumby frames were the test wireless devices. First I connected the Chumby devices. They were around 80% or so with the Buffalo AP's. All of them spread across two floors of the home went to a 100% wireless signal(as seen on the device display). I next tested multiple Kodak frames; these were showing around 35-40% on the DD-WRT signal meter. They connected right away to the Nanostation.

This is what I am getting on a wireless IPCamera in the basement furthest away from the AP.

I'm pleased; shutting off the old Buffalo AP's (with DD-WRT running at 50Mw settings).

Wow! That's pretty "hot" for a at home device. -31dBm is way up there!

--Dan

Here's a quickie read relating to wireless signal strength. (from the DD-WRT wiki)

How do I read signal and noise ratings?

These numbers are given in decibels (dB) and are expressed as negative numbers. The more negative the number, the less strength it represents. Thus, -40 dB represents more strength than -70 dB. The values are logarithmic. A signal amplitude change of 3 dB is equivalent to a factor of two; 10 dB is a factor of ten.

Signal: (in dBm) A small negative number is good (-40 is good, -98 is bad)
Noise: (in dBm) A large negative number is good (-98 is good, -40 is terrible, -70 would be pretty bad in the real world)
SNR: (in dB) High is good (should be the same as difference between noise and signal, a difference of 20 would be great, a difference of 1 may barely work)
SNR(dB) = Signal(dBm) - Noise(dBm)
Signal Quality: High is good (somewhat like SNR but indexed to 100 with noise as the base, percentage of the best theoretical ideal quality in regards to your local-noise)

Signal - Noise = SNR
-82 - -98 = 16
Signal / Noise * SNR = Signal Quality
-82 / -98 * 16 = 13.4%

Typically, noise will be -92 which means you should get a clean connection with a signal as low as -92. However, expecting to hold a good connection with a signal lower than -85 (e.g. -90), is expecting too much. The signal can be improved by -3 dB by doubling the power setting at the transmitting radio, e.g., 100 mW increased to 200 mW would improve your signal from -85 to -82. Antennas with increased gain will also help. Say you had the standard 3 dB antenna and changed it for a 12 dB antenna, that's a 9 dB increase, so your signal would increase from -82 to -73 which would be an excellent signal, probably capable of 54 Mbps. Using the term excellent in terms of running a WISP, it would probably be only 3 bars on a 5 bar signal strength meter. Don't worry if, as a WISP your signal quality is low, like 14%. It's not really a problem since -82 is considered

So the Kodak picture frame has:
-96 dBm Noise
-30 dBm Signal

-30 - - 96 = 66 SNR
-30 / -98 * 66 = 20.20% Signal Quality

I'm a bit confused as to how this works... is it an Access Point (AP) or just an antenna for an existing AP? The only thing I found that talked about it being an AP says it does 802.11a, no mention of N?

Its an access point and a bridge. It does not do N.

As Work2Play mentioned above the Picostation M2-HP does N.

Picostation M2-HP

Historically and a few years back I've only set up Cisco Wireless bridges; much different and very expensive at the time.

I wonder if this would work better for our RV resort? As of now they have 20+ repeaters in here and the performance is terrible and the coverage still sucks. Of coarse sitting inside metal boxes (trailers) don't help. What is the most powerful b/g model? Can they be used in a mesh style network for better coverage? Not sure the size of this place but it is big with almost 800 sites.

One of the set up files write about setting this up as a bridge to AP's at Marinas. I've notice that where my sister parks her boat (Marina) they have wireless.

You would basically make the device a bridge using DHCP to the main RV resort AP using the SSID and setting this up as a bridge. Then you would just take your wireless modem and plug this bridge into the WAN port. You would then have your AP working as before with the firewall. The range on this one is measured in Kilometers.

RV Resort AP====> Nanostation L2 (bridge mode) ====> ethernet cable ======> WAN port on your combo wireless AP ======> client access via wireless and cat5e from the firewall to your vacation house.

Back