Simple way to view IP Cameras on TV

Desert_AIP

I have several IP cameras.
I can view them on my LAN and touch screens.
Is there a simple way to view them on a TV?

I did this in years past with analog cameras over the RF line with channel traps and modulators.

Is there some kind of IP enabled media player, Roku, etc., that can be hooked to a TV to view local IP cameras?

I think composite output would be fine for security cameras.

Easiest would be to display them on a PC desktop (running CCTV software such such as zoneminder), and modulate the PC desktop. Only other way I can think of is by investing an expensive CCTV DVR which supports IP cameras, since most DVR's can render the console via BNC/VGA/DVI/COMPOSITE out.

I have had this same question for years now. Hybrid DVRs (NVRs) that can handle IP cameras are stupid expensive. And I am not aware of any other device that can decode multiple IP cameras into analog.

So until someone solves this one, I have been using analog cameras plugged into an IP camera server (Panasonic BB-HCS301A) with the loop-through analog signal going to my existing modulators, giving me both IP and TV channels. The downsides are 1) the server+camera cost is more than just an IP camera, and 2) the modulated channels are not compatible with DirecTV so I have to use an alternate antenna connection to each TV, 3) I give up PTZ features.

Let me know if you find a better solution.

Well, after several hours of Googling I came upon this.

Vivotek RX7101

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?video_receiver=rx7101

I have two Vivotek cameras, I wonder if it will work with other brands, I have a couple of HAI IP cams (still haven't found out who makes them).

Looking at the manual it may.

Limit to D1 resolution for one channel or CIF for 4 channel.
Since I just want to look at the cameras from the TV if the vehicle detector or doorbell go off, the resolution may be OK.
I can always go to another browser for "forensic" viewing.

I found it for $230 online.

Easiest would be to display them on a PC desktop (running CCTV software such such as zoneminder), and modulate the PC desktop. Only other way I can think of is by investing an expensive CCTV DVR which supports IP cameras, since most DVR's can render the console via BNC/VGA/DVI/COMPOSITE out.

Another option along these lines would be to use VGA baluns (via Cat5) and essentially just have an extended video cable to your TVs - assuming your TV has VGA connection, which most modern LCDs do.

Vivotek RX7101

http://www.vivotek.c...receiver=rx7101

I have two Vivotek cameras, I wonder if it will work with other brands, I have a couple of HAI IP cams (still haven't found out who makes them).

Since I just want to look at the cameras from the TV if the vehicle detector or doorbell go off, the resolution may be OK.

Let me know how you like it, I have looked for these kind of devices before, but never found anything. This might indeed be good enough for monitoring. I would also check with your favorite CTVA vendor and see if they can get this hardware (I think AO might be able to get it).

Vivotek RX7101

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?video_receiver=rx7101

I have several vivotek and other brand cameras, I ended up buying a nettop pc for $250 that had a hdmi out on it, I just run the video software on it and if I want to see it on the tv I just select that hdmi input. Works great not to mention if you wanted to run anything else on it for tv viewing you could.

Andy

Andy

Thanks for introducing me to the nettop concept.
I've been looking for micro PCs but hadn't seen these yet.

Will have to weigh my options.

Hi All,
I am trying to figure out an easy way to view an IPcam on my tv. Right now I have 3 wifi IPcams that send video to the wifi network router, and then into my iMac which is running SecuritySpy surveillance software. It works pretty good. It records when motion is detected, and other triggers from custom apple scripts based upon other triggers. My big problem is that I want to add another IPcam to the front porch door. I will have it feed into the network either by wifi or wired ethernet for the iMac recording, but I also need to view the camera live on my living room tv. You see, I want to be able to just change the tv input (the RCA in from the new camera) and view the new camera whenever someone rings the doorbell. *(very similar to what Desert_AIP wrote above) Has anyone found any IPcams that also have an analog out to connect to the tv? Or, has anyone found a reasonable priced way to get the IPcam feed connected to a tv, as well as to the network? My tv is a flat screen with 4 HDMI inputs, RCA yellow, red, white inputs, and a vga input. I'm open to suggestions?

While I am not sure that this will solve all your problems, there are apps for google TV devices (mine is a Logitech Revue) that can be loaded to view IP-enabled webcams.  Unfortunately, I don't know that switching to the camera view would be as simple as switching the input to the TV.   

Welcome to CT!

Do you have a computer near your TV?  You could use the TV as a 2nd screen on that PC, and just run a full screen browser (kiosk mode) to display the camera feed.  Only other 'cheap' option I can think of is by getting one of those cheap (~$50) Android players for your TV, and run an app to display the cam feed (or via browser).

Now that I think about it, I'm going to do this myself now, $50 for a permanent CCTV input is cheap, thanks for making me think ;)

I am working on a similar solution using xbmc. It has a nice api so it plays nice with other software. I have xbmc on my htpc connected to my main TV. My idea is to feed the camera url to xmbc, then switch the av receiver input to the htpc when triggered. I like this approach because I won't need any additional hardware, and the xbmc is already a highly configurable and well polished front end that looks fine for 10 ft viewing.

ReturnOurPrivacy said:
Hi All,
I am trying to figure out an easy way to view an IPcam on my tv. Right now I have 3 wifi IPcams that send video to the wifi network router, and then into my iMac which is running SecuritySpy surveillance software. It works pretty good. It records when motion is detected, and other triggers from custom apple scripts based upon other triggers. My big problem is that I want to add another IPcam to the front porch door. I will have it feed into the network either by wifi or wired ethernet for the iMac recording, but I also need to view the camera live on my living room tv. You see, I want to be able to just change the tv input (the RCA in from the new camera) and view the new camera whenever someone rings the doorbell. *(very similar to what Desert_AIP wrote above) Has anyone found any IPcams that also have an analog out to connect to the tv? Or, has anyone found a reasonable priced way to get the IPcam feed connected to a tv, as well as to the network? My tv is a flat screen with 4 HDMI inputs, RCA yellow, red, white inputs, and a vga input. I'm open to suggestions?
I'm not completely up to speed on the Apple devices, but can't you add an Apple TV device (~$99) and display the SecuritySpy software via mirroring/AirPlay?

Back