No Voice Announcement from ELK-M1KP

I am getting beeps fine from the ELK M1KP keypad, but the Voice announcements are only comimg from the internal speaker which is down stairs and I can not here it from the bedroom keypad.

Is there a setting to have the KeyPAD sound the voice announcements?

I have the Chime Tone/Voice on.

Thanks, Paul

FYI, that's why I use the KP2's - you can put an SP12 speaker behind them with either the on-wall enclosure or the recessed in-wall enclosure. The SP12's are 32Ohms so you can easily put 8 of them around the house and keep the volume consistent. Personally I use these behind each of the 3 keypads with a couple extras as needed around the house (large house) for even sound throughout the house - it feels more natural when you hear the voice right at the location where you're interacting with the system rather than from a single speaker central to the house - and because I have keypads by each door and in the master bedroom, it's easy to always know what's going on.

The downside of going that way is what is given up in functionality on the keypad on the KP2's and KP3's. I typically scatter SP12's around the house in proximity of keypads.

You lose 2 function buttons and the thermometer - anything else? For me there was no question - the look of the recessed KP2 vs. the on-wall KP was a no brainer - especially with 3 keypads around the house.

Ability to have an internal prox reader also. Using the F keys, for automation or indication of a system event/status combined prox have been more important than recessing the keypad for my installs, otherwise you're looking at more hardware at the wall to get a weigand reader at a KP2/KP3

I don't get why people would use a prox to disarm their alarm. If you leave your keys in the mailbox or the car, someone can now get in. Security systems should require knowledge that exists only in your head. If you use a prox and you're assaulted before you get in, you have no opportunity to enter a duress code instead of using the prox.

And if you're going to do it, why use a weigand reader rather than a wireless keyfob? It seems to me it has a lot to do with the installers' recommendations that could steer a client either way.

I was thinking of using the prox to unlock the door, and then have to go enter the code to disable the system so it is still secure... and the KP1 is the easiest to do that with. however I like the flush mount look. why elk did not make the KP3 a kp1 and 2 combined, (look and function, best of both units...) is beyond me.

Is this discussion only about the KP3 keypad?

I was under the impression that the Elk proximity reader would work through siding and insulation; can you really not install the reader just outside of the KP2 flush mount box and make a custom cable (may not be required) to work with the KP2? This was my plan anyways...

Prox is inherently more secure than a keyfob depending on how it is implemented on the system. Keyfobs are far less secure, especially (though not likely commonly) since they're able to be spoofed by using a RF sniffer if someone really wanted to, in comparision to a secure chip and a relatively short read range.

With a KP1, you can use the internal type unit. With all of them, as long as you have an appropriate pigtail, you can connect a 26-bit wiegand device to all of them, doesn't need to be a prox, but any sort of credential that spits 26 bit weigand...iris reader if you really wanted. I've used external readers straight into the keypads as well as use KAM's on the system also.

You can put an external reader outside of the KP2, but doesn't that do away with the benefits of a "trim" keypad recessed in the wall or surface mounted even. Also, with a prox reader, you need to factor in what the reader is mounted on or near, affecting the read range and sometimes data.

With the M1, you can specify how the panel acts on a valid swipe, if you don't check the arm/disarm box or access, it controls how the panel responds, even by user.

IE: you could have an external reader fire a strike, but still require the user to enter a code to disarm the system as stated. You can also assign access windows and schedules if you really wanted to. Sure you could perform some of the same actions using a fob, but it is inherently less secure as a credential.

Back