• Software:Elve, Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

I have a passive "PIR" in the passenger compartment overhead for the alarm; I've tested it by leaving the windows open; never triggered it unless I put my hands inside of the window. This passive "PIR" is part of the OEM alarm; not added. That said I still cannot get my favorite alarm guru installer to circumvent the system to install a Compustar remote starter. (which just sits in a box waiting to be installed). The OEM system is set up to be silent or noisy flashing LED or non flashing LED - called "clown nose on my vehicle"; depending on how its programmed.

Years ago (late 1990's) because of the distance from the parking lot to the office (almost needed a shuttle; about a 15 minute walk); I installed a regular setback thermostat (with a clock) such that I could either warm or cool the car at a preset time in the afternoon; wiring specfics (defrosters, rear window defogger and heat/AC).

#17 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4497 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Years ago (late 1990's) because of the distance from the parking lot to the office (almost needed a shuttle; about a 15 minute walk); I installed a regular setback thermostat (with a clock) such that I could either warm or cool the car at a preset time in the afternoon; wiring specfics (defrosters, rear window defogger and heat/AC).

That is the best thing about true climate control in a vehicle... just set the thermostat to 73 - whether you parked in a desert or a snowbank, it figures out what to do. It was annoying with previous vehicles having to set the A/C settings before getting out so it would do the right thing when you remote started. Newer remote start systems can also turn on your heated seats if it's cold enough. Combine that with the iPhone app, and by the time you make the 15-minute walk, the car is perfectly ready to go!

#18 gatchel

gatchel

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON, Z-Wave
  • Audio:Sonos
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Posted Image

Nothing makes me want to kick a car more than when it makes noise for me just walking past it. Especially when you park in front of my office building every day (even though you work next door). When I had it, you pretty much had to press up against the car (to look in) to get the warning; and something had to be about an inch or two minimum inside the car to trigger the full alarm.

My father had one put in one of the Vette's by Invisibeam when they first came out - it had two modes based on a switch in the glovebox... in one mode it was a normal polite "Step Back" type message; in "Ghetto" mode, it would say "Yo! I know you wanna look inside, but I suggest you step away from the ride." I still laugh everytime I think about that.

You just made me feel 16 again :rockon: I linked to a video below, go to 3:10 and you can hear the rap.Gotta love youtube.
I used to love those invisibeam systems. They got bought out and they screwed up the whole thing...I have installed several of them. They even had ones with dual languages so you could have English/ Spanish, English / German....

I used to know how to say "I've been tampered with" in German, very funny...
I found this from Popular Mechanics 1990:

There is part about the Invisibeam alarm system on the page. Ironically, there is some One For all HA stuff on the same page. Pretty Cool.

Anyway, if the shock sensors and other sensors are installed properly and adjusted properly they hardly ever false. Most "installers" don't take the time to adjust the sensitivity on these devices hence all of the issues associated with Car Alarms.

Edited by gatchel, 16 August 2011 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users