touchpad firesale starts the 20th

just a heads up, some on SD are reporting their onsale via amazon orders are being canceled. onsale apparently doesn't understand how to manage inventory and sold way more than they had. same thing's happening to the barnes & noble sale last night.

Well I have the 32 gig I got at WalMart here.... so I did at least get one. I did order another from "OnSale" as well as Barnes & Noble... no notice yet that either has been canceled, and I was billed for both already. Time will tell....

Damage; have you seen anything from HP on the originally ordered HP SBM site?

I think you mentioned that your initial order was via the HP site?

i've seen posts that people who ordered @ the SBM site with 1 day shipping are getting tracking numbers and lots of others are got cancellations. i ordered through the HP academic site. my orders have been stuck in "Item being processed" since saturday.

Well I had my first run in at WalMart tonight.

I took the 32gb model back that I paid $500 for, to get the $350 back. Their registers are still showing the $498 price! She insisted that the $149 price is "online only". I brought up Wal~Mart's site on my phone, and showed here they are no longer listed at all on the site. She made a bunch of phone calls, and none of the managers had heard anything about this! I find that SO unlikely... I then asked her, if no one knows anything about this, how did you know about the price of $149 is online only? She couldn't answer that one LOL

Any how, she gave me the store managers name, and told me to call him tomorrow, and he will then call the Headquarters in Bentonville and figure out what to do, and then call me back.

Oh well, worse comes to very worse, I just refund it for the $500, and call it a day.

I've read that many CS folks are being told that they are to ship the Tablets back to HP and are not selling them.

Early this morning checked TP and they still have them at list price; tried to order and couldn't register an account. Insight also shows them in stock; but CC order processing is messed up.

Newegg seems to be the big loser here as they are refusing to lower their price or offer price guarantee. My OnSale order is still active, but I have no hope of it actually completing. Hindsight, I should have asked the BB guy to retrieve a unit from their back room and paid full price. He made it sound like they had already shipped them though, which obviously wasn't the case.

Someone on SD mentioned the fluctuating Ebay prices; yesterday $300 (not sure whether this was the 16 or 32Gb one) and today its $250. Wondering if its just relating to assumptions or expectations on what folks think they are getting with the HP / WebOS stuff.

I think that is so interesting, because for me, it is the $99 price point that makes this tablet desirable. I have no interest above that price point. I have to wonder if a lot of resellers will get stuck with extras once the craziness dies down.

from SD fwiw:

HP Small Business Update
On the phone, the automated message for HP SMP said if you placed your order before 4 AM CST on Monday 8/22, you will receive your HP touchpad (the message was unambiguous) and free shipping with the discounted price. However, if you order post that time, your order will be cancelled.

HP SMB: 1-866-625-0242 and choose option 3 .
Seems like most of us who ordered during the weekend are good to go.

Ok, Round 2 with WalMart. The store manager tells me they will not honor the $149 price in the store, that that price was only OnLine. I asked him why that WalMart is not honoring the price, as the request came from HP themselves. I also let him know that Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Tiger Direct, Future Shop, Comp USA and all the other "brick and mortar" stores are honoring the price in their stores.

Has anyone had any luck with WalMart honoring their price, if so, any details?

WalMart, Round #3 :)

Ok, I called the corporate offices, and they have had many calls on the Touchpads. To the call center's knowledge, the stores are honoring the $149 on the items. She said simply take it back with the receipt and the store will refund the difference. I told here that I had tried that, and the store manager refused to honor the price. She is forwarding my information on to one of the managers at corporate, to give me a call back in the next 2 days, as well as notifying the store I purchased it at to honor returns on them,

I am on day #5 of my 15 days of being able to return it for the full purchase price......

I am posting this information, in the hopes it may help someone else out reading the thread on how to get the retail stores honor the price that was sent down from HP themselves.

Back