• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:EventGhost
  • Tech:X10-PLC, INSTEON
  • CCTV:dvr

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

HP (?) seeded the "costs" of the build all over the place for something like $300 plus...I'm kind of wondering what the actual costs of the build is...

It cost $306.15 for the 16 Gb version, and $328.15 for the 32 Gb version. It is within just a few dollars of what it costs Apple to build the iPad. HP is basically taking a $200 loss on each and every one sold. Analysts are saying that HP has lost about $320 MILLION dollars on this venture, just in sales alone. Not to mention man hours for R&D, and the costs of setting up the factory to produce them.

The exact cost breakdown, for each individual part can be found here:
http://www.precentra...d-cost-hp-build

Edited by JohnWPB, 02 September 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#122 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Ooma, POTS

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thanks John.

Just playing with my 32Gb one today. Hoping to get 16Gb one from HP. Very impressive.

#123 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

Been playing; the HP tablet is nice.

Its quick.

#124 Monk

Monk

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Platinum Supporter=-
  • 703 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

Compared to my 1st gen iPad, I considered the experience sluggish. After turning the logging off I felt it comparable, with the oc mod - it is faster. For playing Angry Birds and light web browsing it is quite good.
I am sure people are going to figure out the most efficient was to control HS with this device - that might probably be my main use.

Been playing; the HP tablet is nice.

Its quick.

#125 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Yes; if anything it'll be maybe for Homeseer. I'm not one to do surfing; answer emails etc when either an IPad or this HP table. It must be my age.

That whole touchscreen keypad thing to enter text is not optimal for me. It never was; even with the cell phones; I always purchased my cell phones with keypads & touchscreens (currently HTC). I still prefer to type on a conventional keypad using my netbook or regular notebook; as I am doing now. When it gets to perfect VR to text then maybe I'll switch to using that. (that whole star trek thing; "computer on", "computer send a message thing"...)

I can see though when folks type or send me messages via their tablets; typically they are using a brief; short very text like message; just because its easier with a touchscreen keyboard than to type whole words. On the same note my sister totally is enamored with her Ipad; and doesn't use her netbook anymore; but she was never a PC person; so it works for her. I do see many folks primary methodology of communctions to the internet / messages is via their PDA phone and they have become very well versed in typing with their phones. I look at my two children and see that right away. I did note a couple of weeks ago; I was helping a friend with his house wiring stuff; he was on vacation. He got a text message relating to some issue at work; he replied via text. I asked him; if the problem was as critical as he made it sound; why didn't he just call into the office; he said he preferred to text a response back. It doesn't make sense to me though.

#126 etc6849

etc6849

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Software:Premise
  • Tech:X10-RF, Z-Wave, Custom
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

You should try the Bluetooth TP keyboard. Mine came today and I'm finally able to make posts using the TP. The inductive charging stand (Touch Stone) is really neat too. The case fits well, but I probably won't use it very often.

#127 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Yes; I was going to order a case, charging stand and keyboard this weekend. Its a small little marvel. Its really me; etc6849; I'm kind of old and a bit of a curmudgeon sometimes with new technology.

It will be me asking my grandchildren when they are older as they speak and listen to their computers; where the keyboard is.

#128 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

I installed Preware this morning. Just a couple of notes -

1 - Turn on developer mode by typing "webos20090606" in the just type section and hit enter.
2 - Install WEBOS quick install. It'll prompt you to install the USB drivers.

WebOS

3 - Install preware.

I've had issues though updating the OS.

Attached Files

#129 123

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts
  • Software:Premise

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

According to DigiTimes, HP will be clearing out its supply chain and building many more TouchPads. Looks like I may have one more shot to but a TouchPad or two.

I'd love to replace my aging 3COM Audreys with TouchPads. However, there is a feature I use daily that must be supported by the Touchpads. My Audreys play text-to-speech announcements generated by my HA server. Is it possible to push a WAV file to a TouchPad and have it play the file? .

Here is how its done with an Audrey (a little bit roundabout):
  • The Audrey's web server's security is reduced to allow remote PCs (my HA server) to execute its CGI scripts.
  • Using an URL, the HA server executes the Audrey's WAV-playing CGI script and passes the name of a WAV file (i.e. speak12.wav)
  • The CGI script pulls the WAV file from the HA server (shared folder) and plays it using a background WAV player (i.e. nothing pops up on-screen)

Does anyone know if there is a means of pushing sound files to a TouchPad using a similar (or other) technique?

Edited by 123, 06 September 2011 - 08:34 AM.

#130 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Quickly on the HP Touchpad would be to install Ubuntu.

Currently just installing a bunch of applications via Preware; first OpenSSH.

I am getting the OS update. Its very slow downloading, testing and validating the update.

I needed to open the firewall up just for the tablet such that it wouldn't error on update.

#131 JohnWPB

JohnWPB

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:EventGhost
  • Tech:X10-PLC, INSTEON
  • CCTV:dvr

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

When you get PreWare installed, one of the very first things to do, is open it on the TouchPad. In the top right, click search, and look for "Unthrottle" In the results, install the "Unthrottle Download Manager". The TouchPad, for some really stupid reason on HP's part, is throttled to 64Kbs for downloading! Installing this patch will fix that. I get the same speeds on my TouchPad downloading, as I do in the desktop, just limited by my DSL bandwidth.

#132 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Thanks John. Did the overclocking to 1.728 Ghz with F15C Eagle(TouchPad) v3.0.2-51. Fast.

#133 Frunple

Frunple

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

According to DigiTimes, HP will be clearing out its supply chain and building many more TouchPads. Looks like I may have one more shot to but a TouchPad or two.

According to HP they aren't making any more.

#134 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3427 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

I keep reading about another "batch" from HP; but only rumors.

HP announced the "firesale" one day after the 4G version of the tablet was announced in the EU.

I'm at a point now with terminal access and creating a 2Gb partition for Ubuntu 11.04. Choices are Debian or Ubuntu.

It's really kind of plug n play; well documented.

Playing also with the Joggler. I am able to dim it as Damage described in his Python script for the Chumby. Great for the HA server to be able to reach out and just touch the hardware remotely. I keep loading it up with more software and so far its not bogging down with its dual core Atom CPU. The Chumby on the other hand is speedy via command line; but not so much with the display but its only 800Mhz Arm CPU versus the 1.2Gz dual core Atom.

#135 Frunple

Frunple

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

I think the confusion comes from HP making more to cover the "already ordered" touchpads. If you have one on order from them you would've gotten an email saying they need to make more for this reason (I got the email yesterday) and it will take 6-8 weeks for delivery. People hear this and right away jump to the conclusion that they are gonna have another chance to get one but if you call HP they will tell you flat out that there will not be any more made and only orders placed before Monday the 22nd at 4am will be honored. All others will be cancelled.
It's a shame they won't make any more, pretty nice unit other than the weight (and original price!). WebOS isn't that bad either (isn't that great either) but Android 2.3.5 is sure looking good running on it! Got multi-touch working with 10 points so I would say a month or two and they will be releasing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users