Elk M1-Gold with ISY99-Insteon

your2slow

So I've just installed the Elk M1-Gold with a few motion sensors. I've got the M1XEP ethernet interface, ISY99i controller and 2413S Insteon PLM. I've been able to get my Insteon switches to work (on/off) but when I export the file for the elk, then import it, I create a rule to turn on the light when the motion sensor is triggered but nothing happens.

Here is the rule,

WHENEVER Sensor Family Rm (Zn 4) BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN TURN Kitchen Valance [3(A3)} ON, FADE RATE=0

For some reason this does not seem to work. Now, I've also downloaded the eKeypad M1 iPhone APP and I am able to turn on/off all the Insteon lights from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Since ekeypad is talking to elk, and elk is talking to isy, and isy is talking to the lights, if ekeypad works then your import must be correct and your link to isy must be good. This must be an Elk issue since ISY only knows that Elk told it turn a light on and as far as ISY is concerned, there is no difference regarding what made Elk send the command (ekeypad vs a rule). I don't have ekeypad since I have an android, but I am 99% sure that ekeypad is not talking to ISY directly.

Perhaps there is an issue with the rule not being triggered? Have you confirmed that indeed zone 4 is becoming not secure? Try putting a second "then" clause in there and see if it is executed, like maybe a voice announcement. If the voice goes, but the light doesn't, then you got me. I have had issue with Elk not sending light commands, but only for timed lights that are supposed to shut off. I had to do a work around where elk turns an output on then off, and a second rule looks to the output changing state and that triggers the light. I think I heard that they fixed that problem with a firmware update, but I haven't done it since it works just fine with the workaround and I have no other issues and just don't want to test my luck.

Hi Lou Apo,

Thanks for the quick reply. It seemed that the ISY99 controller stopped working as I was even unable to get into the web gui. A reboot of the device seemed to fix the issue. It actually happened twice so I'm wondering if there is an issue with the controller.

Thanks again.

I would post your issues over on the Universal Devices forum. The ISY does not need periodic reboots, so something is wrong. In two years, I have never rebooted mine except for firmware updates and power failures. My first thought would be to look at your network settings. Michel over on ISY forum will help you trouble shoot things along with random users.

Looks like I'm running v2.8.16. I was just on their website and was about to register but can't seem to find the Serial number from the administrative GUI (not at home to check now)

You will definitely want to upgrade since big changes have happened since then. We now have variables. Just go here http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6768 and follow the instructions.

However, I don't think you will find that the firmware fixes your communication issues.

You will definitely want to upgrade since big changes have happened since then. We now have variables. Just go here http://forum.univers...php?f=25&t=6768 and follow the instructions.

However, I don't think you will find that the firmware fixes your communication issues.

Actually I have been having mine lock up with the recent betas every couple of weeks. That was using 3.1.5, I think others are reporting similar issues. Before upgrading I was on the latest release version and it was rock-solid.

You will definitely want to upgrade since big changes have happened since then. We now have variables. Just go here http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6768 and follow the instructions.

I just did the upgrade to 3.1.6. I'll let you know if I notice it crash again. Thanks for all the help

Actually I have been having mine lock up with the recent betas every couple of weeks. That was using 3.1.5, I think others are reporting similar issues. Before upgrading I was on the latest release version and it was rock-solid.

I'm running 3.1.2 and it has never crashed in the 3 or 4 months since I installed it. The updates since then don't fix anything that affects me so I have left it. Probably the next update I will do is to add the Elk module. .. whenever the heck that happens. Every day I log into UD just on the off chance that the big release announcement is there.

I'm running 3.1.2 and it has never crashed in the 3 or 4 months since I installed it. The updates since then don't fix anything that affects me so I have left it. Probably the next update I will do is to add the Elk module. .. whenever the heck that happens. Every day I log into UD just on the off chance that the big release announcement is there.

Yeah, that elk module has been a long time coming, I really wish they would've put that ahead of some of the other stuff they have done. I am anxious to offload some lighting rules to the ISY. I need to upgrade to 3.1.6 and see if my issues go away. The lock ups are so far apart that I forget about it, until I notice my events are triggering. I am also considering just wiring it's power through an elk relay so I can have CQC watch it and power on/off automatically, if an upgrade doesn't fix it.

Yeah, that elk module has been a long time coming, I really wish they would've put that ahead of some of the other stuff they have done. I am anxious to offload some lighting rules to the ISY. I need to upgrade to 3.1.6 and see if my issues go away. The lock ups are so far apart that I forget about it, until I notice my events are triggering. I am also considering just wiring it's power through an elk relay so I can have CQC watch it and power on/off automatically, if an upgrade doesn't fix it.

I think you can download the older firmware. Why don't you revert to 3.1.2? I never have any troubles.

And not only do I want to unload the lighting rules from Elk, but I would like to move virtually all of my programs to ISY. Elk has no ability to organize at all. It drives me nuts trying to find specific programs for editing.

I think you can download the older firmware. Why don't you revert to 3.1.2? I never have any troubles.

And not only do I want to unload the lighting rules from Elk, but I would like to move virtually all of my programs to ISY. Elk has no ability to organize at all. It drives me nuts trying to find specific programs for editing.

Will you still be able to trigger the ISY from the elk for alarms etc?

Will you still be able to trigger the ISY from the elk for alarms etc?

Yeah, right now you can control the ISY via Elk rules, but you can't really right rules on the ISY based on the Elk's state. That is what the new module will give us.

As far as organizing rules, I don't think it is that bad. I put a comment with dashes on the first rule and organize my rules in sections, it wastes a couple of code lines but is the best way I have found But yeah, ISY has a more powerful rule engine.

Code:
--------------------------------
 Garage Door Rules
--------------------------------
WHENEVER Garage Door(TASK1) is Activated

Back