Buzzed

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:INSTEON

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

I am attempting to come up with a rule (or task) for my M1 panel. Once the system has been armed (stay mode) if the dogs need to go out in the middle of the night I want to be able to press F4 on keypad 1 and bypass 3 doors for a period of 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes has expired the system needs to re-arm automatically without further intervention.

I would like the F4 key to be lighted while the 3 doors are in the bypassed mode. I have come up with the following but don't see a way to input a countdown period of time and a way to automatically re-arm the bypassed doors.

WHENEVER KEY F4 ON KEYPAD 1 ACTIVATES
AND MAIN FLOOR (AREA 1) ARMED STATE = ARMED
THEN BYPASS KITCHEN DOOR (Zn3)
THEN BYPASS FRONT DOOR (Zn12)
THEN BYPASS HALL DOOR (Zn14)

Thanks for your help.

#2 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:ISY-99
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, dvr

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

With one additional rule you can do it.

THEN TURN OUTPUT 200 ON FOR 15 MINUTES (probably you want "restart timer" clicked on

Whenever output 200 turns off
Then unbypass kitchen door
Then unbypass front door
Then unbypass hall door

Go to your kekpad setup screen and set "illumination event" for f4 to 7200 (= output 200 state). I have never tried that, but I think it will light f4 when output 200 is on.

By the way, you can use any output number that you aren't already using for something else. I just randomly picked 200.

Edited by Lou Apo, 08 September 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#3 Buzzed

Buzzed

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

With one additional rule you can do it.

THEN TURN OUTPUT 200 ON FOR 15 MINUTES (probably you want "restart timer" clicked on

Whenever output 200 turns off
Then unbypass kitchen door
Then unbypass front door
Then unbypass hall door

Go to your kekpad setup screen and set "illumination event" for f4 to 7200 (= output 200 state). I have never tried that, but I think it will light f4 when output 200 is on.

By the way, you can use any output number that you aren't already using for something else. I just randomly picked 200.

Cocoonut I have taken your suggestions. You did not mention what to set the 'key activates event' so I set the F4 button at 29=Key momentary disarm. However when I give it a try F4 completely disarms the entire system.

#4 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

On the keypad setup screen set f4 to disabled. When it is set to disabled, rules can still "enable" it. You are only disabling the "built-in" keypad functions.

Alternatively, you could create a task in the rules section, and set f4 to activate the task directly on the keypad setup screen. I don't think it makes any difference.

#5 Buzzed

Buzzed

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

OK I was making this much harder than it actually was..... the reason I couldn't get your rule to work was because I did not originally make those 3 zones able to be bypassed. duh! I'll come up to speed sooner or later. Thanks Cocoonut!

#6 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

I asked my wife if she would like that feature and she said yes, so I added it to my system. I also wanted to be able to cut it off before the 15 minutes by just hitting the f4 button again, so I added some more lines to do that. It seems like there has got to be a slicker way to do this, but I haven't thought of it yet.
WHENEVER  KEY F4 ON KEYPAD8 ACTIVATES
            THEN TOGGLE Output 100

WHENEVER  Output 100 STATE IS TURNED OFF
            THEN UNBYPASS Back Door (Zn 29)

WHENEVER  Output 100 STATE IS TURNED ON
            THEN BYPASS Back Door (Zn 29)

WHENEVER  Output 100 STATE IS TURNED ON
            THEN TURN Output 101 ON FOR 15 MIN, RESTART TIMER IF RUNNING

WHENEVER  Output 101 STATE IS TURNED OFF
            THEN TURN Output 100 OFF

WHENEVER  Output 100 STATE IS TURNED OFF
            THEN TURN Output 101 OFF

#7 Buzzed

Buzzed

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

Geeze why not go one step further and have the F4 button turn on the outside light too. The dog will thank you if the wife doesn't :mellow:

#8 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Geeze why not go one step further and have the F4 button turn on the outside light too. The dog will thank you if the wife doesn't :mellow:

Well, I could do that, but opening the door already does that. I suppose I could have both do it.

#9 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4397 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:30 AM

Gents - there's a feature in the M1 that lets you press the "Stay" button while the system is armed to start the exit timer again then re-arm... it's made exactly for this type of scenario

dog wants out - press "Stay" - exit timer restarts; you have xx seconds to let the dog out. Dog wants in 10 mins later - press "stay" again - xx-second timer restarts - you let the dog in, then go about your business... when the timer expires, the house is protected again.

Does that not work? We use that at times if one of us has to leave while the other is still sleeping.

#10 Buzzed

Buzzed

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:29 AM

That's an alternative however when the dogs gets one of us out of bed in the middle of the night pressing one button is about all I can expect when the groggy mind is still back in a warm bed. Besides we like to go out with the dogs since we have a lot of wild animals around and remembering to do the code thing once back inside is asking for trouble.

#11 Spanky

Spanky

Cocoonut

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2482 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

Cocoonut I have taken your suggestions. You did not mention what to set the 'key activates event' so I set the F4 button at 29=Key momentary disarm. However when I give it a try F4 completely disarms the entire system.

Do not set F4 for Momentary Disarm. That will disarm the entire control. Set it for "Non Alarm" setting 16. That way only the Rule Engine will look at the button and it will not affect anything else.

#12 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

Gents - there's a feature in the M1 that lets you press the "Stay" button while the system is armed to start the exit timer again then re-arm... it's made exactly for this type of scenario

dog wants out - press "Stay" - exit timer restarts; you have xx seconds to let the dog out. Dog wants in 10 mins later - press "stay" again - xx-second timer restarts - you let the dog in, then go about your business... when the timer expires, the house is protected again.

Does that not work? We use that at times if one of us has to leave while the other is still sleeping.

That doesn't work for us. We were shutting the alarm off before because our dogs are old and they need a LOT of convincing to get off their heines and go outside. We literally stand there with the door open for at least a minute saying "come on, come on, cohhhhhhhhme on, outside, outside, come on, (you get the idea)" and God forbid if it is cold outside then we really can't get them to move. Sadly we have to force the one dog to go out every 6 hours or she just pees in the house.

#13 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4397 posts
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

Fair enough...

I might add one thing to the rule then - another output for 14 minutes, after which it flashes the outside lights warning you to get back in!

#14 Buzzed

Buzzed

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Didn't know there was a flash option. How would that be added to the rules?

#15 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

A blink of the lights would be a great idea. I will add that, and maybe a beep of the keypad.

There isn't a blink option, exactly. You just turn it off and back on again with only a short delay in between. If you are using an Elk output you can probably execute it a bit faster than if it is a plc command like UPB/Insteon/X10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users