I Hate Lightning

pipeman

I've been reading a few lightning related posts, but everyone's issues are different, so...
Had a direct or near strike 3 days ago, I was in the home/office at the time. Just now got a replacement DSL and network switch up, so I can at least use the Internet again.

I have a central closet with ELK, computer network, DSL Modem, telephone and cable boxes on the back wall and the rear of a rack that contains DirectTV, rack computer, touchscreen,two receiver/amps and a bass amp, an LCD bigscreen is on the other side of the backwall.
All of these items are either completely inop, certain functions inop, or the entire device is funky/scrambled.

The ELK has telephone line seize issues, the XEP board will not communicate, the in-house keypad will chime on door openings and appears to function thru all menus, but has a continuous flashing F4 light and a random "KP1 Lost Comm" message. When I try to do an enrollment, errors flash for "Comm" problems on both this keypad and a garage keypad.
I also have a garage located input and output board. The flashing F4 button was a rule driven notice of an open garage door. (I have 3)
Pressing the F4 button now will give me totally random effects from none, to opening different doors that are closed, to closing sometimes.
On individual rules, one garage door will aanswer to an open/close command, the second door does not respond and the third signal is received at the opener input board, but the opener relay merely "thunks" and will not operate the door.

The garage keypad reports that all remote(garage)zones are violated, all the time.

I have a coconut palm near the home that does not have the black streak, but the top has broken off.
There was a slight smoke odor in the closet, the only possible other sign is a dark spot on the ELK board adjacent to an IC in the lower right. The IC also has a small chalky/burnt spot.

My take is that the main board, XEP board and the remote XIN board are damaged for sure. But it also seems likely that everything connected to the data bus is also damaged; the two keypads and the remote output board.

Suggestions please.

Sonny

To me, I'd start pulling bus devices off one at a time or remove all, then add one at a time to see if that changes anything, followed by dropping in a default program for testing purposes, and hopefully you also have a known good copy of the last program the panel was configured as.

Wouldn't be unexpected given the network damages, and since the Elk and the DSL/net bridge the telco and TCP/IP and electrical, sounds almost like a ground potential issue with the strike caused the damage, based on the collateral damage(s).

Thanks Del,

I tried disconnecting the XEP, but no change noticed. The xep comm light will light with an open cable, but never any comm light on the router end. Without the xep, I'm hamstrung on rules, etc. I just tried diconnect on the remotes (Kpd, input and output boards, still showing hiccups and comm errors.
In any case, with the telco line seizure issue, the main board seems suspect

Like I said, given the additional collateral damage, I'd suspect there being some damage to the system as well. I also didn't see any mention of any suppression on the M1 and it's connections.

True, 110v protection everywhere, but no LV protection on anything.

What can you do when you have 4 tel lines, tv and fm antenna leads, catv, sat, "miles" of security, speaker cables, computer network and extras running everywhere.

I do see that ELK is pushing the tel surge devices now.

Sonny

PS- air conditioner LV board on the condenser fan went out last night.
PSPS - Just in, my well house circuits are down and a GFCI is apparently permanently tripped.

In my case, I have lightning coverage. The insurance company will be sending their "electronics repairman" on Wednesday.
He has no knowledge of the ELK, but is probably used to seeing similar symptoms on other gear.

I have talked to a friend who had a lightning strike a month or so ago. Her bigscreen acted exactly like mine. The TVs are dead to the world on the HDMI inputs, but appear OK otherwise. In her case, the insurance replaced the TV(60") because the repair would not be economical.

I have talked to a friend who had a lightning strike a month or so ago. Her bigscreen acted exactly like mine. The TVs are dead to the world on the HDMI inputs, but appear OK otherwise. In her case, the insurance replaced the TV(60") because the repair would not be economical.

That is what happened with my Living room TV after a near strike last year, lost all HDMI inputs on the TV and HDMI out on a Direct TV DVR, I also lost all usb ports on my SageTV server and the HD-PVR connected to it died.

Add to the list
3 GFCI outlets
Jandy Pool, spa and chlorine generator
One 12v yard controller
Maybe irrig controller

Elk is being helpful, they will evaluate any and all that I send to them.

My Ins. company wants two quotes on the ELK from Lic. Installer.
I have no knowledge of anyone around here who I can contact.

Check the Installer Directory for local installers. When lightning took out my ELK, all I had to do was send them a spreadsheet with the replacement cost, and they send me a check. Of course, I am not in FL, where I am sure they are stricter due to the large # of lightning related claims. If you can't find an installer, call ELK directly, they have an internal list.

Back