Did you know that you can enjoy many members-only features simply by quickly registering (no CAPTCHA!)?
Registering gives you access to our giveaways, forum features, increased search performance, access to our Download Library, create your own blog & gallery, and more!
Once you have registered, stop by in 'Hello World', and introduce yourself.
Elk M1XIN enrollment problem
Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:22 AM
I have my bus devices wired with home runs and wired per the Elk manual, using 'return' data wires, with the last device terminated as well as a termination at the panel. The devices 'in the middle' are not terminated.
Initially when I connected the M1XIN, the LED was flashing with 5 flashes, indicating ready for enrollment.
After going through the enrollment process, the LED on the XIN is now just flashing with a single flash, indicating that things are 'OK' but the device still doesn't appear in the device list.
I have checked System Diagnostics, Bus Errors, and they are not increasing.
What am I missing?
Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:50 PM
Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:10 PM
Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:35 PM
The weird thing is the XIN when initially connected with a new address blinks 5 times, indicating that it is ready for enrollment. After I attempt to enroll, the XIN only blinks once, indicating that it is enrolled, yet it does not appear in the device list.
I've ordered another M1XIN just to see if I have a defective card (I hope not, I purchased the card about 6 months ago and am just getting around to installing it, too long ago to return if its defective).
Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:09 PM
Check the standard things:
1. With the power off, measure data A to data B with an ohm meter and see if it is 65 ohms +-10 ohms. Make sure you have two and only two termination jumpers at the extreme ends of the data bus wire run.
2. Make sure M1 data A connects to data A and M1 data B connects to data B. Most common problem!!
3. Move the input expander to the M1 control and try enrolling.
4. Make sure there is not an address conflict with another input expander. Expansion zones start at zone 17 which is address 2 on the input expander dip switches.
5. Measure the voltage at the input expander for 12V or above.
Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:34 AM
I checked the items you suggested:
1. Resistance of bus is 67 ohms, one termination resistor at the keypad (far end of the bus) and another on JP3 at the panel.
2. Checking wiring again, it looks correct, no crossed over data wires
3. Not sure what you mean with this one. My input expander is within 3 feet of the panel. Did you mean remove other devices from the bus and just connect the expander? Will I lose my wireless expander configuration if I do this?
4. I have tried several addresses, 4, 6, and 11 with the same result. My wireless expander (the only other type 2 device) is address 2
5. The voltage at the input expander is 13.7 VDC
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:55 AM
If I power up the panel with the M1XIN configured to a new and unused address, the LED is flashing 5 times. After I attempt the enroll, it is still flashing 5 times.
I'm thinking I may have to wait for the replacement board to see if that's the problem.
Any other thoughts?
Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:24 PM
Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:07 PM
I wish I had all the time back that I spent trying to get the previous board running, only to determine that it was defective out of the box. Does anyone know if there is any warranty on these boards from the manufacturer? I purchased the board last December and just got around to trying to install it recently.
Thanks to all who provided advice with this issue.
Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:24 PM
Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:59 PM
Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:34 PM
Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:37 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users