• 35 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

I am attempting to install/enroll an M1XIN and can't get it to appear in the bus device list.
I have my bus devices wired with home runs and wired per the Elk manual, using 'return' data wires, with the last device terminated as well as a termination at the panel. The devices 'in the middle' are not terminated.

Initially when I connected the M1XIN, the LED was flashing with 5 flashes, indicating ready for enrollment.

After going through the enrollment process, the LED on the XIN is now just flashing with a single flash, indicating that things are 'OK' but the device still doesn't appear in the device list.
I have checked System Diagnostics, Bus Errors, and they are not increasing.

What am I missing?

#2 EST

EST

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:CQC
  • Tech:UPB
  • Video:SageTV

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

I just had this problem and it turned out to be a wiring error on my part. If you are blinking that means your power wiring is correct. If you cannot enroll then your A,A1,B,B1 wiring is either wired wrong or not spliced together. I was using CAT5 and the white/green and white/blue looked the same and I had them crossed. I started over from scratch and once I wired it correctly it enrolled so I know you most likely checked your wiring but really check it. I 'checked' mine 3 times before I realized what I did wrong.

#3 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Termination also comes into play, especially with a DBHR.

#4 LakeHouse

LakeHouse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for your reply. I did check the wiring again and I'm pretty sure its correct. I originally had the devices daisy-chained and could not enroll the M1XIN so I rewired with home runs in an attempt to solve it, with no success.

The weird thing is the XIN when initially connected with a new address blinks 5 times, indicating that it is ready for enrollment. After I attempt to enroll, the XIN only blinks once, indicating that it is enrolled, yet it does not appear in the device list.

I've ordered another M1XIN just to see if I have a defective card (I hope not, I purchased the card about 6 months ago and am just getting around to installing it, too long ago to return if its defective).

#5 Spanky

Spanky

Cocoonut

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2482 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

Lakehouse,
Check the standard things:

1. With the power off, measure data A to data B with an ohm meter and see if it is 65 ohms +-10 ohms. Make sure you have two and only two termination jumpers at the extreme ends of the data bus wire run.
2. Make sure M1 data A connects to data A and M1 data B connects to data B. Most common problem!!
3. Move the input expander to the M1 control and try enrolling.
4. Make sure there is not an address conflict with another input expander. Expansion zones start at zone 17 which is address 2 on the input expander dip switches.
5. Measure the voltage at the input expander for 12V or above.

#6 LakeHouse

LakeHouse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

Spanky, thanks for your reply.

I checked the items you suggested:

1. Resistance of bus is 67 ohms, one termination resistor at the keypad (far end of the bus) and another on JP3 at the panel.
2. Checking wiring again, it looks correct, no crossed over data wires
3. Not sure what you mean with this one. My input expander is within 3 feet of the panel. Did you mean remove other devices from the bus and just connect the expander? Will I lose my wireless expander configuration if I do this?
4. I have tried several addresses, 4, 6, and 11 with the same result. My wireless expander (the only other type 2 device) is address 2
5. The voltage at the input expander is 13.7 VDC

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#7 LakeHouse

LakeHouse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

I started second guessing myself with the home run wiring so I rewired to a daisy chain, cut off all wire ends and re-stripped and re-terminated. I have a termination resistor at the keypad (far end of the bus) and on JP3 at the panel. There is just one chain, with three devices, the M1XIN, a M1XRF2G, and a keypad.

If I power up the panel with the M1XIN configured to a new and unused address, the LED is flashing 5 times. After I attempt the enroll, it is still flashing 5 times.

I'm thinking I may have to wait for the replacement board to see if that's the problem.

Any other thoughts?

#8 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Try installing the expander directly to the board itself, no field wiring. If needed, change the 485 to 2 branches, 1 for KP and other for the XIN, terminate appropriately and try enrolling.

#9 LakeHouse

LakeHouse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Got my replacement M1XIN board today and installed, it enrolled and was up and running in a matter of minutes.

I wish I had all the time back that I spent trying to get the previous board running, only to determine that it was defective out of the box. Does anyone know if there is any warranty on these boards from the manufacturer? I purchased the board last December and just got around to trying to install it recently.

Thanks to all who provided advice with this issue.

#10 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

I would contact your dealer, especially if you're dealing with a 3rd party vendor. Most Elk stuff they're pretty reasonable on the warranty aspect, but all bets are off if you dealt with a reseller.

#11 LakeHouse

LakeHouse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

Purchased through a retail reseller, sounds like I'm SOL.

#12 Digger

Digger

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3191 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller
  • Tech:UPB, Z-Wave
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Did you contact the reseller? Cant hurt to ask. Some resellers will stand behind the products they sell.

#13 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4389 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

And honestly, I've never heard a bad experience dealing with Elk support - they do tend to go above and beyond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users